• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Type IV Double Buzz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samdelong

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject: Type IV Double Buzz Reply with quote

Hey guys. Been looking into this Reinhardt stuff over the last few months and noticed amazing progress in playing ability.

I'm a Type IV and have been experiencing some "double buzzing" in my playing
and once I get tired. (I am a self-diagnosed Type IV, but applying Type IV methods has been working, and I run into typical Type IV issues. I'm planning on taking a lesson in the future)

I saw somewhere on here that the double buzz can be caused by playing too many high notes (definitely a possibility), and I'm wondering if there are any exercises or things I can do to mitigate this issue.

Thanks
Sam
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double buzzes are almost always caused by placement that's too close to 50/50. It's much more common in downstream players than upstream

But I'd really have to see it. There could be other causes, or a combination of things you're either doing or not doing.
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you’re experiencing what Reinhardt called the “type IV” rattle.

Playing too many high notes (especially the wrong way) can do it, so can playing past fatigue. Stopping this should help.

Reinhardt also suggested playing softly on the notes that rattle. I’ve found avoiding strain and practicing the right stuff cures the problem every time.

Best,

Josh
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for "rattle" in the Reinhardt forum, looking for this page I was thinking I had posted, and sure enough, it's there:

(At the time I had been typed as a IV on bass trumpet/valve trombone.)

There are two Trumpet Herald topics in this forum devoted to the Type IV rattle: this one and this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: