• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Miles Davis giardinelli VS Gustat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GillesDeRais

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:41 pm    Post subject: Miles Davis giardinelli VS Gustat Reply with quote

Since we now have the scans of those mouthpieces does anyone know why there is such differences between the two ?

We know that Miles had his original gustat copied just before he lost it but when we compare both the gustat and the giardinelli there's a huge difference[/b]
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mouthpiece that was given to me by my neighbor, Teo Macero, while living in East Quogue, Long Island. (Do a 'Google' Internet search for Teo Macero).
He informed it was Miles' ... and, used by him while recording "Sketches Of Spain", on a Martin Flugelhorn.

It is a Giardinelli Flugelhorn mouthpiece, "1Fl", with a "7" (no letter) rim. The shank is raw brass, and has been filed/sanded (?) down to fit the Cornet-sized receiver that is on the Martin Flugels. There is a soldered-on microphone tap on the shank, just below the cup, and it is blanked-off. (Miles used a Barcus-Berry contact mic for electronic sound enhancement).
I still have it, and use it regularly, on the Martin Flugel, as well as with a Bach Model 182 Flugel (the so-called "Woody Shaw Flugel"), which has a Bach small-Morse taper receiver. I have to put a bit of tape on the shank, as it is now a tad too slender to fit the Bach receiver.

I do not have provenance, and Teo and Miles died. Is not important to me, anyhow. I have no intention of selling it. I use it. A lot. Used it today, ironically.

Last edited by Man Of Constant Sorrow on Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused and may have missed something. Aren't we talking about the difference between two trumpet mouthpieces?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I'm a little confused and may have missed something. Aren't we talking about the difference between two trumpet mouthpieces?

Miles ... Giardinelli, Gustat mouthpieces ... and, related.
I did not mention the Heim Gustat trumpet mouthpiece Teo Macero gave me, also. Someone (Miles?) hogged it out (cup, throat) somewhat. I haven't really done much with it ... so far. Don't know what to make of it.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Miles Davis giardinelli VS Gustat Reply with quote

GillesDeRais wrote:
Since we now have the scans of those mouthpieces does anyone know why there is such differences between the two ?

I was going to refer you to another thread that touches on your question, but then I saw that you started that thread as well.

I can't think of a better way to find out why there is a difference (or even if there was a specific, intentional decision to make changes to the design) than by reaching out to Dillon Music and seeing if they can put you in touch with Vladimir Fridman. He was doing custom mouthpiece work for them after they acquired Jerome Callet's mouthpiece business back in 2002, and he used to be the chief mouthpiece maker at Giardinelli during the time when they were supplying Miles with custom pieces.

He ought to know.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Good luck with that!"

I had tried something along the lines of your (@Halflip) suggestion about 10-years ago.
I was there (in person at Dillon's), enquiring (among other things) of Fridman.
Staff informed Fridman was "unavailable and unreliable".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: