• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Copper Flugelhorn, water key question?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, thanks for the clarification. I’ve never owned an Amado-keyed horn, so am totally oblivious to their pitfalls. If that’s a common problem with them, I’ll stick with levers.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
From my experience (using a borrowed boroscope), I discovered (not surprisingly) a "burr" (?) is present inside the brass tubing at the point ("port") where the tubing is drilled. Regardless, if an Amado, or standard water-key is implemented.

To eliminate this burr (which seems to be where debris, wax, dirty valve-oil, etc. accumulates), it is advisable to hone the tubing from the inside.
Understandably, this is another step in the process of assembling a horn, and labor = extra $$. I doubt many manufacturers do this task.

Your thoughts ??

Your observation is correct. However, all water keys are installed where moisture gathers and that is at the bottom of a curved piece of tubing. So, honing is not an option, really. The tool I mentioned in my post above, that Flip used to de-burr the ports on his horns, is a flat-blade screwdriver (less than an 1/8" wide, if I recall) with the last little bit bent over at 90 degrees and with the sides honed to leave sharp corners. the tool is inserted into the port hole and used to scrape the burr off of the inside of the tube. It works well enough to remove any flashing left by the drill, but isn't so effective as to always ensure a smooth, flat edge around the hole.

I have had a number of tuning slides for my WT trumpet, over the years, and two flugelhorn with water keys on the 1st and 3rd valves that can be inspected during disassembly and cleaning. Most of these have very clean port holes. there may have been one or two that retained a tiny lip around the hole. The bell branch water key cannot be seen from the inside, really, unless one has a camera on a flexible cable. Flip has a bore scope that is rigid, so I think he cleans (cleaned) these ports by feel and by inspecting them from the outside, as best he could.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent suggestion, @shofarguy.

I do a lot of "repurposing" of all kinds of tools. I suppose I'm something of a "tool guy/geek".

Thnx !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: