• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece preferences for young players / beginners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marius_Brass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece preferences for young players / beginners Reply with quote

I know this seems like a non Reinhardt related question,
but I wanted to know if there is any Reinhardt-based information on mouthpiece selection for young players, starting to play the trumpet.

I can't find any written information by Donald S. Reinhardt about that topic, but maybe someone remebers something, he said about this.

Even if not, i'm curious what you Reinhardt-Gurus (that teach beginning players), have to say about that.
Does it even matter at all?

That question came to my head, because I'm going to teach a 10 year old with zero experience in a few weeks.

Of course i got Rich's book "Reinhardt for beginners" at hand!

Thank you Guys!

Marius
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece preferences for young players / beginners Reply with quote

Marius_Brass wrote:
I know this seems like a non Reinhardt related question,
but I wanted to know if there is any Reinhardt-based information on mouthpiece selection for young players, starting to play the trumpet.

I can't find any written information by Donald S. Reinhardt about that topic, but maybe someone remebers something, he said about this.

Even if not, i'm curious what you Reinhardt-Gurus (that teach beginning players), have to say about that.
Does it even matter at all?

That question came to my head, because I'm going to teach a 10 year old with zero experience in a few weeks.

Of course i got Rich's book "Reinhardt for beginners" at hand!

Thank you Guys!

Marius

That's actually Reinhardt's book, not my book.

My *opinion* (I don't remember Doc talking about this) would be something not too big, not too small.

For me, he told me to play the smallest mouthpiece I could get away with.

It will be interesting to see what answers you get, hopefully from those who studied with Doc himself, not the wanderers who post in every forum. Thanks for asking a really good question!
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing for beginners is not the mouthpiece... it's to start them on 3rd space C, or G, not low C. If you start on low C, everything above that is "high."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: