• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Open Throat, or open Backbore?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back through your original post, it reminds me of a CG Personal. I'm playing a variant of that now and what you describe is what it gives me, including the physical sensation you described. Keep in mind that it has a 22 drill throat.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece

Last edited by Richard III on Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Throat, or open Backbore? Reply with quote

MountVernon wrote:

1. Allow more air to be poured through, with less resistance.
2. Sounds in Forte/FF not being too bright, or too edgy.
3. Sound being slightly less forward, and more omni-directional.
4. Keeping the majority of focus in the sound without it spreading or becoming airy.

I recommend a different cup. But if we are choosing open throat or backbore: throat.
ek1986

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure you will get a lot of well-substantiated responses about opening throat, backbore or incrementing size in rim or cup. These components can certainly accomplish what you are looking for. My 2 cents would be to consider a slightly heavier blank while going bigger on any component mentioned above. You don't need to go all the way to Megatone/Monette style blanks but even a few grams really make a difference.

For example, Yamaha mouthpieces are a tiny bit heavier than Bachs and to me, they certainly feel like they can take more air and don't back up on me as much, especially in the upper register. You can barely tell that there is a difference in Bach and Yamaha blanks.

Since Matt Frost works on your mouthpieces, I am sure he will be open to adding a little extra weight to the blank to balance any other modification you decide to perform on your mouthpiece. This usually adds stability. In my experience, the rule of thumb is that if you increase the size of any component of the mouthpiece (throat, backbore, rim, cup), the mouthpiece does benefit from a heavier blank, even if that's 0.5gr.

Good luck in your journey!

EK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: