• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

having fun with buzzing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject: having fun with buzzing Reply with quote

making progress with the buzzing inspired me to get a full size 88 key keyboard just for the task. starting at low C, piano Bb3, i play the first 7 notes of 'yankee doodle', rest, ascend one full step, and repeat. playing along with the keyboard can be good ear training. currently F#7 is my highest note and there are only 3 whole steps left to get to C8, the piano's highest note.
it is unclear to me whether this C8, a whole step above our triple high C, is a musical pitch, or the sound of steam escaping pipes.
i do the buzz a couple of times each week along with a couple of timed, weighted pencil exercises, and have found them highly effective in increasing trumpet range. progress with range is not fast, far from it, but it is steady and relentless.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that you are increasing your lip (buzz) control and strength - that's good!

Being able to effectively apply that control and strength onto the mouthpiece is 'the rest of the story' (that is where skill and technique are important), and it seems that you are doing that successfully.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell you what jay buzzing into the piano 7th octave is a decidedly tight little endeavor and you are going to have the lip compression or else.
the practical application part is where i am stumbling in the dark. between the weighted pencil isometric and the buzzing, there is no question embouchure strength has improved, and so in a general way it has been easier to sustain higher notes. mostly i fish around for the pitches and how to best use the lips but i get the general sense that the large increase in strength should be able to produce higher pitches.
a person could come to the conclusion that a few lessons are in order. still, progress is progress, and being able to effectively use newfound strength is a matter of inevitable discovery.
the buzzing practice is fun, and quirky, and fills me with the same wonder we had as children.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: