• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mute Caddy!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DublD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: Mute Caddy!!!! Reply with quote

I have been through several purchases trying to find the perfect (at least for me) solution for a mute holder that is both handy for quick changes and does not obstruct my music or access to multiple instruments. I think I may have found it!

I was previously in a technical role and technicians refer to a solution that is both effective and simple as ‘elegant’. That is exactly how I would describe the Mute Caddy!

I found the Mute Caddy online and it seemed ideal for my use so I ordered it. Due to no fault of the inventor/owner, Steven Klein, the order shipment was delayed enroute, but he worked with me directly to get the order to me. In this day of faltering customer service such attention to the customer mush appreciated.

The Mute Caddy is very simple. It is of one piece plastic construction that easily slips onto the bottom of almost any sheet metal music stand. It has accommodations for four mutes, three mouthpieces, and a pencil. Having had it for several rehearsals I can say there have been absolutely zero issues. It is secure and offers both quick access and secure retention of mutes.

There are actually two models of the Mute Caddy. The Longoria model I chose and the Artist model with is a tray that clamps to the music stand post. I use a Hercules stand with instrument pegs. The instruments are held fairly close to the post so the Artist model in my case was a little too close to my instruments which made quick changes a tiny bit tougher.

The Mute Caddy has been perfect for my playing situations and far exceeds my expectations. I cannot say enough positive things about my Mute Caddy or the service provided by Mr. Klein.
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both Mute Caddys (Caddies?), and use the Artist Model which attaches to the music stand post. With the Longoria, I have to tilt the music stand pretty far back so the mutes don't tip out of their holes, so I just keep this in my practice room.
AV Trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Soulo Mute Bag. It can clip directly to your stand. I use a RAT Jazz stand, so I hand to add some zip ties to hold the bag (the shelf part of the stand is too thick for the bag clips), but it works great for me.
Marcus Millfield

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using this, works like a charm. It's basically a shelf which you clamp on your stand. It has a foam layer so putting down mutes doesn't make a lot of noise. Works really well during soft passages where you need to make as little sound as possible putting down or picking up a mute.

https://www.k-m.de/us/products/music-stands/accessories/122a-tray-walnut
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the Hercules mute holder, it clamps onto the main post of the stand and can hold up to 4 mutes. It clamps on firm enough that it can also work to hold up a sinker if they give me a bad stand.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heritage Music Products also makes a good mute holder. It is made of wood and the slots have rounded edges. The sharp edges of the Mute Caddy Longoria model scratched my mutes.

Currently, it's $69.90. It clamps to the music stand shaft, has space for five mutes and two mouthpieces, and has a couple of pegs for hanging other accessories, such as bucket mutes or felt bags.

(No, I'm not making money recommending them. I just find them to be a good product.)

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Jon Kaplan's video on mutes and accessories, you can see his setup with his mute rack attached to his left front chair leg, instead of his music stand, which does avoid some problems with dropping mutes onto horns or it getting in the way of mics or Aviom systems in the pit. I've attached mine also to my right front chair leg, so that my left hand grip on the horn is not disturbed during fast mute changes. The pro of keeping it attached to the left chair leg is being able to keep the right hand fingers on the valves at all times. I suppose there are pros and cons to both. For me it depends on the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJa_Gei9TRY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: