• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When is it Time to Hang It Up?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: When is it Time to Hang It Up? Reply with quote

I've been on a strong come-back path for a few years now and was even getting a few gigs along the way. Things were really going well.

Recently my wife had a life changing 'event' that requires almost full time support & care now. As much as I'm trying to keep up a practice schedule, it's just not happening enough. Besides, going to a gig for an evening with no real return time is out of the question.

The trumpet is now relegated to the back-burner, again. I'm not looking for any condolences or anything, just expressing that we never know what's around the corner and when or what will determine our course.

I plan to keep visiting TH and just see how this chapter works out. Taking it one day at a time.

BTW: As time permits I'll probably start listing some of my stuff in the Marketplace.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you and your wife, as much as your circumstances allow for. Although your intention to sell your gear hints otherwise, I still hope you’ll find a way to play again.

Take care.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is a many splendored gig......but suddenly the lights might get low....
and there are roads to be decided.
Don´t sell your horn - it´s a treasure as is your ability to play it - and I strongly believe that hope should be nurtured at every phase of life.
Maybe maybe someday??
But a man´s gotta do what a man´s gotta do so take care of your wife, and yourself. As you write taking it one day at a time.
Best wishes!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: When is it Time to Hang It Up? Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:
I plan to keep visiting TH and just see how this chapter works out. Taking it one day at a time. ...

----------------------------------------------------
Yes, stay involved with TH if you find it enjoyable. Perhaps you can find time for at-home practice.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Tivolian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recommendation that you keep a horn in case you find it fun, or comforting, or distracting to pick it up sometimes. Maybe gigging isn’t in the cards for now, but the act of playing, the horn in your hands, and the sounds can be a big help. I call it brass therapy. Hope to see your continued presence on TH.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet was my thing for years. I practiced a lot, studied privately in high school, studied music and education in college and spend most of my time in the music building. I loved it.

I got into teaching after college and kept at it. I played in some semi-professional groups and ensembles, fairly high level (playing at festivals and whatnot).

It was a grind and I enjoyed it.

Until..... I started not to.

Trumpet started to feel like a burden. I wanted to do other things, but I always felt like I had to be practicing. And that practice became increasingly less enjoyable and more of a chore. Kind of like cleaning the bathroom or taking out the garbage, except it took an hour or two, not 15 minutes.

At some point, I had a serious sinus problem and playing literally became problematic and painful. I took the opportunity to take a break. Despite the sinus problems, it was refreshing. I still occasionally played with my students (I still taught band) but my home practicing was more like a few hours a year, not a few hours a week or a day.

I was playing trumpet, the trumpet wasn't playing me.

It was frustrating, a little, being a shadow of my former skills, but - on the other hand - I wasn't burned out.

I got lured back into playing with a community band and did that for a few years. I didn't practice that much, wasn't anything at the level I used to be, but it was ok. The pandemic hit, that took a haitus, and now my horns have a few years of dust on them. Literally. They're on the stand, but unplayed for a few years. I should probably do something about that.

Maybe I'll pick them up again and try to have fun with it, again. Maybe.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words.

Re: selling; I have 3 Bb 'pro' horns, a Bb pocket, an Eb/D, a C, & a Flugelhorn. If I decide to sell some, my 'ole 180/37 & Flugel will probably stay until my son has to deal with it.

Again, Thanks. -Ed
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t restart playing for anyone but myself, and I have fully enjoyed the past 10 years just playing on my terms. If I can’t work in practices, I don’t. If I want to play alongside anyone from a duet to a chamber group to a full orchestra I put on accompaniment tracks, which I have hundreds of. No appointments, no jobs, no commitments.

I hope you can find the life balance you’re looking for.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing since 5th grade in the '50s, including a few periods of main income source application, I finally stopped altogether after playing a "Millennium Cruise" with a long run Rock Band in 2000. I would have liked to continue playing "occasionally", but that is not how trumpet works, so my new focus was acquiring a retirement fund, so I stopped traveling and gigging to work that out. My wife and I were blessed with lucrative years that really started setting us up for retirement when she got very sick in 2014. I "retired" from my day gig that same year earlier than planned, but we were financially prepared to do so. My days and nights became more or less fulltime caregiver depending on her situation until her passing in January 2021.

I was "drafted" into playing in my church brass ensemble a few months into my "retirement" in mid 2014, which seemed an easy fit into my otherwise caregiver role. As my wife's health fluctuated, I got involved in many different groups, some periods almost fulltime. I set aside a 1-2 hour flexible schedule everyday to practice, more to keep my sanity than anything else, but I also reaped the benefits (my longest continual streak was 848 days).

After my wife's passing, I met a much younger trumpet player at an out of town symphony gig during Easter 2022, eventually marrying her in February 2023. She is a fulltime Special Education teacher, but we both manage to travel and perform with various groups regularly.

I am still a very active trumpet player and now into my busiest schedule, having bookings thru Easter Sunday of next year. True retirement is just not in my plans currently, but I do know that someday it will happen. Anyway, I am blessed to want to play, still be able to play, and have the work to keep me playing, at least for now. My much younger wife has made me a younger, though not a young man, at least in my mind!

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still with us ... still picking-up the horn to toot, now'n'then?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't need much introspection. It's time to hang it up when the negatives outweigh the positives.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Doesn't need much introspection. It's time to hang it up when the negatives outweigh the positives.

I'm guessing I'm probably not the only one who is introspective about it despite the rational answers. There's the 'sunk cost fallacy', which keeps you hooked even when you know you shouldn't invest more time or effort.
I've gone to great lengths to keep practicing even when it wasn't practical.

I've also gone through days, weeks and months not playing at all, and not missing it. Wasn't a conscious decision to quit, usually.

The really nutty thing is, I play guitar, too, and have other hobbies. I never think, I suck at this, this is too hard, I should quit...
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
The really nutty thing is, I play guitar, too, and have other hobbies. I never think, I suck at this, this is too hard, I should quit...

That could be an indication that trumpet playing is more meaningful to you than your other hobbies.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
BGinNJ wrote:

That could be an indication that trumpet playing is more meaningful to you than your other hobbies.

Could be, in the sense that I'm more attached to a delusion. When I'm in trumpet playing mode, when time is limited in daily life I'll prioritize it over guitar or working out, etc. even though it can be frustrating and feel like a waste of time.

Making choices is not always rational, but we have one life to live, and I think the point of this thread is how do we know when to move on?
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BGinNJ"][quote="stuartissimo"]
BGinNJ wrote:

how do we know when to move on?

Maybe (?) correlate it in a somewhat obtuse way, to relationships with women.

Sometimes, it's YOU ... and sometimes, it is the WOMAN.
You'll know !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: