• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best oil to use on a 1989 Bach?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:45 am    Post subject: Best oil to use on a 1989 Bach? Reply with quote

I just bought a 1989 Bach in good condition that plays like a dream . Should I assume that the valves have been replated and what oil should I use ultra pure or hentmans?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that "plays like a dream" includes smooth and fast valve action. Thus, if the compression is good I'd use Ultra Pure Regular (blue label). If it's not good, I would use Ultra Pure Classic (black label).

Edit: I wouldn't worry about whether the valves have been replated. As long as you are getting fast, smooth and reliable valve action it doesn't really matter.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you great advice. Yes the compression is good. Does compression an indicator of valve condition? And can you tell me the advantage of ultra pure blue label to the light? The horns in good condition and I'm thinking the valves are original. Someone told me Bach valves last 25 years and they make them to be replated 2 different times after that. The valves are fast
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the valves do not stick, then whatever oil is being used is working.
If a valve does stick, try using a slightly heavier oil which will adhere to the metal better.
If a valve is sluggish with heavier oil, then just add thinner oil drop-by-drop onto the piston to give good action.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor compression can be an indication of significant wear on the pistons/casing. That wear can eventually case problems with valve action. Poor compression can also negatively impact things like intonation and slotting.

So, if you have good compression, and smooth, fast, and reliable valve action then you are good to go and should be for years to come.

Regarding Bach valves only lasting 25 years...Perhaps that was true once upon a time, but they seem to be in good condition now. If you maintain them well -- keep the horn clean and oil the valves regularly with a quality oil like Ultra Pure of the proper weight -- then you should get many more years of good use out of those valves. Which is good news as valve rebuilds are quite expensive.

Last, Ultra Pure Light (Green) is for valves with very close tolerances. Works great on newer Getzen and Schilke valves, for instance. Regular (Blue) is good for most horns, new or with some wear. I use the heaviest weight oil that gives me the speed and feel that I want from the valves.

Enjoy your Bach!
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Ultra Pure Professional (regular weight) oil on a 30+ year valve job with no problems. Figure that the 25 year number is for the professional trumpet player who logs in several hours a day on the horn. If the trumpet was used by a hobbyist who played perhaps 2 hours a day, you are probably good for many more years.

Try different standard weight synthetic oils until you find one that works well for you. (Sometimes different brands do not mix so clean your valves and casings when changing brands.)

It's not the years - it's the mileage.

That's what I keep telling myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: