• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is anybody here really satisfied with the horns they have???

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trptsbaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm completely satisfied with my Schilke X3L, my Yamaha 6345s, and my Marcinkiewicz Model 3 ML. When I play well on them. T.
Getzenguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, No, yes, no,yes, no.....I guess it depends on when you ask.
I too have been through dozens of horns.
At the present I play a Getzen Renaissance Bb, it is a magic horn just a little on the bright side for me but we get along superbly. I have an LA CG Benge which is also magic but won't cut its way out of a wet paper bag.
My C is a Bach 25A/229 and it has such an awsome and pure sound but I still don't get along with C trumpets.
My Pic. is an LA Benge, it's great.
I am also anxiously awaiting my next Calicchio which will probably make me give all my other Bbs away.
Mark
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 8335 rgm. i dont think there can be a better horn made. Yamaha will soon be ,if not already, the best horn maker in the world . they have unlimited resources
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I satisfied? Absolutely!
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is anybody here really satisfied with the horns they have???"

Yes, I'm really loving my 1940 Olds Super trumpet and 1953 Olds Recording cornet these days.

Larry, your post spoke volumes to me, since my wife just doesn't understand and has been "encouraging" me to limit it to two of each horn (trumpet & cornet).

And Ben, I wish I had your discipline . . . try a "new" one, and if I like it better then sell my "old" one. I've learned so much from going through all these horns (maybe 50 in my case) and I've improved the quality of my "main" axe so much in the past three years.

Here's the part of my disease that I've been able to recognize (and this has saved me a load of $$, lemme tell you): When I try a horn and it sounds and feels great, I need to actually play it for a minimum of two weeks to find out if it really isbetter, or if it's just a "honeymoon" period that wears off and turns out to be less of a horn than I was already playing.

Most of the time if somebody wants me to try a horn I'll decline the offer. And if I know that I'm not going to be able to play that horn exclusively for two or more weeks, there's no use trying it.

Now, about that Olds Super Recording I'm about to buy . . .

Rich
tradjazzman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

Yeah man I hear you. Let's see if I am done. But (don't laugh) I realy think I am. I've tried enough first hand to know what I like. I kept coming back to the Lightweight Selmers. And that is what fits "me/ and the type of music/ sound" I'm going after.

And YES ....... alot of times when someone now asks me to "try" their horn I DECLINE. (ha,ha). That is why I didn't want to try your olds Rich when you were here, or your cornet. (another ha,ha). Enough is enough. It was fun/ and cool trying them though and in the long run I didn't loose tooooo much money on most.

Same with mouthpieces. Enough already .........I've tried enought that I think I got a close as I can come to the "right MPC for ME". I tried the differnt brands/ sizes......... too small , too big, too wide, too shallow. I'm as close as I can get to what is best for me.

But don't get me wrong folks...........sometimes the only way to know is to spend a few bucks, and give them a try (both horns & MPC'S). Had I not tried the different ones, I wouldn't have known which I liked better. soooooooo I don't regret the experiment/ "journey". LOL

Now it's time to stop screwing around with equipment and just go PLAY. I think I'll go DELETE EBAY from my computer, and stay OFF of the HORN/EQUIPMENT link of the TRPT Herald.

It's time to just go play music.

Ben Mauger (one man / ONE HORN)
Paris Selmer 24B lightweight / GR 64MS
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-04-09 12:12, BeboppinFool wrote:

When I try a horn and it sounds and feels great, I need to actually play it for a minimum of two weeks to find out if it really isbetter, or if it's just a "honeymoon" period that wears off and turns out to be less of a horn than I was already playing.

Rich

This is very true about the "honeymoon". Those of us who have gone through a ton of horns know this issue the best. There IS a honeymoon, whether it's mouthpieces or horns. At first almost any horn or mouthpiece will feel like it's going to be THE one for life. And as you settle down for a nice groovy marriage you see yet another pretty face and the cycle continues. On the other, hand like others and I have said, it IS fun. Expensive, but also fun and educational.

Now if you folks will excuse me I need to go check some things out on eBay.
Larry
nowherenearadoublec
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lawler and Northernbrass mouthpiece setup that I am soo happy with. The TL5r smokes on lead, the 26L sounds silky and the Committee is heaven for solos! The 26B is fantastic as a big band section horn. Then there is the cornet. That horn rocks!! The best cornet I have ever played. And believe me, I have played a lot of cornets!
Alan
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not good enough to know if I'm really satisfied.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not know if I am satisfied until all the horns in existence are sitting in front of me.

Then, my house will be too small and I will have to be unsatisfied with my living quarters.

I don't think anything beyond "relative satisfaction" is possible.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that's pretty good. I, personally, am not always satisfied with my relatives.

Still happy with my horns, though...
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all my horns well enough. I always come back to my Bb though. Although I'm looking for an upgrade(probably Eclipse or Lawler) it still feels like home sweet home. My C's not bad either(they're matching horns) but after a rehearsal or concert of playing cornet or flugel in the brass band or practicing some gruelling picc rep or playing my C at church or orchestra I often have this feeling of "I need my trumpet". What can I say? It's my baby.

Of course, satisfaction is a funny thing. I love my GR 65.6M to death but I'd still like to augment it with something a little smaller and tighter for when I want to part some hair.

As many have said before, most of us have a horn we like and feels comfortable but can't help but search for something with just a little rounder tone, or more accurate intonation, or even a prettier finish. We've seen there are few people that are 100% happy with their gear. I suspect some of them are still on "new horn euphoria". lol
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I satisfied? Yes, my main player for trumpet is the second trumpet I bought on ebay, and have not found anything I like better(Holton ST 550S), and my main cornet is the one I have owned since 1977. At my level of ability as long as the equipment is structurally sound, the horn is pretty much the least factor.

HOWEVER.......

Back to the wine analogy. All brass instruments have their own charactor, and I love the vintage Conns. My 12-B plays differently than my friend's 12-B, even though they are within 3 years of one another in date of manufacture, probably because his tuning slide isn't dented..... The 3 80-A's I have all have their own characteristic sound, although one ,nicknamed the Banshee by my son(in honor of Castle Bravo's Eclipse), the brightest sounding cornet I have ever heard, and coupled with a 10 1/2 D just screams, and may be his marching horn if he doesn't play marching F horn next year. This is so uncharacteristic of cornets, just something in the manufacturing process that makes it unique. I have 6 Conns made before 1965, and none of these will ever be resold.

More and more, I am finding there is a marriage of horn and mouthpiece. I play a Stork on my Holton, a Giardenelli 7S on my 12-B, a Bach 3C on my Emperor, etc. to get a specific mating that enhances the tonal characteristics of that particular horn. I can interchange mouthpieces, and tell a significant difference in the overtone signature, whether it is me playing or someone else. The only conclusion I have reached in all this is why beat your head against the wall going for a specific sound with the wrong equipment?
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I satisfied with my instruments?
Yes.

Will this mean no more purchases??
Don't be daft!

If I play a trumpet that is a great deal better than the one I am now using (a Yamaha 6335HS with a Najoom leadpipe) then I will consider changing.
I have only played one piccolo that I prefer to my F Besson - a Blackburn - it is currently at the top of my wish list. I can easily see myself getting one of these in the next couple of years.

Will I sell the instruments I am currently using, should I upgrade?
Unlikely. Every instrument I own has a unique sound. There are pieces that work a great deal better on my Silver Flair than on my Yamaha. There are other pieces that work fantastically on some of my older instruments - I have a pair of 1920's Hawkes & Son Clippertone trumpets that come out for playing G&S music - quite superb.

I liked the wine analogy earlier - a good wine is a great thing, but you would never stick to just drinking that one wine, there are more flavours to experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: