• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bebop, hardbop, postbop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetstud
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Bebop, hardbop, postbop Reply with quote

Can anyone distinguish between the three bops just by listening to the music? Is that a necessity to be able to play jazz?
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Labeling music by genres or subgenres is useful as a starting point or shorthand way to describe music that shares historical, stylistic threads but they do not have clearly defined boundaries. Most of the terms were created by writers after the fact.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dizzy Gillespie- - Lee Morgan - Terence Blanchard

" Is that a necessity to be able to play jazz?"
Think of it as enjoying the journey not knowing where you've been or where you're going, or being adept at map reading and knowing full well where you are and in relation to your surroundings, no matter where you go.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:52 pm    Post subject: See & Raise Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
---snip---

I see your Gillespie-Morgan-Blanchard, and raise you:

Fats Navarro - - Freddie Hubbard - - Woody Shaw.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check our Chase Sanborn talking about various styles of Post Bop. Interesting stuff. He has a BUNCH of great Youtube vids teaching trumpet playing, improvising, jazz theory, jazz history, and a bunch more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKZDT4l7FAQ
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: See & Raise Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
I see you and raise you:
What a coincidence, Didymus, those were the exact three that came to my mind, next.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: See & Raise Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
---snip---

You can both fold:
Idrees Sulieman - - Terumasa Hino - - Palle Mikkelborg 🤪

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d go with Dizzy - Clifford (how dare someone leave him out ) - Miles - Erik Truffaz
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I’d go with Dizzy - Clifford (how dare someone leave him out ) - Miles - Erik Truffaz

Actually, I should promote a personal favorite -- Kenny Dorham (probably belongs in the hard bop category).

With Miles, you'd have to go Miles -- Miles -- Miles!

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren’t any official distinctions and it isn’t important to spend time thinking about it. Listen to as much great music as you can, transcribe your favorite solos, and you’ll be fine.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip: yeah, Kenny Dorham and Blue Mitchell are two favorites as well but Cliffords recordings were what got me started on modern jazz. Though I play and listen to a lot of other music I always come back to bop and hard bop and to Brownie in particular. Been practicing Joy Spring today - one day I’ll get ist really right
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
yeah, Kenny Dorham and Blue Mitchell are two favorites as well but Cliffords recordings were what got me started on modern jazz. . . . Been practicing Joy Spring today . . .

Yeah, I love Clifford, too; really inspired, harmonically adept solos, and Joy Spring is a masterful composition (among several). The fact that he was taken from us at such a young age (25) in a car crash breaks my heart.

There is a video on YouTube of Clifford playing a couple of tunes on the TV show "Soupy's On" (Soupy Sales was a big jazz fan, believe it or not). This is said to be the only known video recording of Mr. Brown:

Link

Last edited by Halflip on Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:45 am; edited 2 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
always come back to bop and hard bop and to Brownie in particular.

I had the good fortune and am from a generation when public libraries (remember them?) were a major source of printed and recorded material, and my library had a major assortment of early bebop recordings that you could actually take home. I listened to those Brownie, Diz, Fat Girl, Bird, Monk etc. recordings voraciously.

Bird with Strings, Max Roach/Clifford Brown, Jazz at Massy Hall, yeh, man.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a jazz history nerd and have taught the subject at some great music schools for around four decades. Nonetheless, opinions on a lot of this stuff are like noses. Everyone has one and most of them smell.

Those terms are pretty arbitrary, even though almost everyone uses them. Add to that the fact that the musicians themselves didn't label the styles. Music critics and marketing people with the record companies made up the terms and the musicians only later adopted them when they were being widely used. Nevertheless, here's my take.

What we call bebop was called "modern jazz" by the musicians at the time (1940s pretty much immediately after WWII). It is generally acknowledged that bebop came from a cohort of young avant-gardists led by Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, and a few others. There are a few musicians who basically played a style rooted in pre-bop who could hang and had elements of the new thing in their playing. For trumpeters, this might include folks like Howard McGhee. But right on the heels of Gillespie and Parker there were other bebop trumpet players (many played in Parker's group) including Navarro (the greatest exemplar of bebop style IMO), Dorham, Red Rodney, Young Miles (who struggled at first with Parker, but eventually got his bebop chops and vocabulary together by the late '40s to a degree most non-nerds are unaware).

Bebop was the new thing and the avant-garde. The audiences were small and the gigs were sparse, so sparse that keeping together working bands with consistent personnel was almost impossible. Most recordings and gigs were with groups that were picked up for those opportunities from the small pool of players who were conversant with the new style. So, rather than having bands the pool of musicians was like a repertory company where the lead role and the collaborating players were drawn together. If you couldn't get Kenny Clarke on drums you called Max Roach and if he was busy you called Roy Haynes, etc. The tunes they played were usually known to all and gigs and records were lightly rehearsed jam sessions.

The improvised solo style of hard bop for the most part is not that different from the way beboppers played. The difference was that by the early '50s there were more small jazz clubs around the country and that every city of any size had a radio station that aimed at an African-American audience and the record labels that recorded the new jazz (Blue Note, Prestige, etc) got their new releases into the hands of the DJs for jazz shows. So the audiences in Dayton, Ohio and Peoria, Illinois knew the music, knew the artists who were on the leading edge, etc and followed those artists. It became possible for people who were "jazz famous" to book tours around North America and have enough gigs to keep a quartet, quintet, or sextet together and make a (barely) living wage playing new music. Hard bop bands got tighter ensemble work and were able to develop more intricate arrangements due to regular work and consistent personnel. Think of groups like Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers, The Horace Silver Quintet, Clifford Brown-Max Roach Quintet, the '50s Miles Davis Quintet (the group with Coltrane), etc.

1959 was a turning point for the music. There have been documentaries about all that happened in that year in jazz history. Many artists introduced new approaches to organizing their music, new forms and structures, etc. This is such a giant thing that I'd be writing a book. By this point the language, vocabulary, ornaments and gestures, etc. of bebop had become a common language for most all jazz musicians. But adapting their playing to tunes with slow moving harmonies, or no set harmonies, or no set form, etc. brings in what I consider post-bop.

Most players today study bebop and hard bop in jazz school (at least in America...and in Graz) and some never leave that. Others move far away from the bebop training and might find elements of those styles embedded in quite a few different ways of making music. The majority of today's leading players can create at a high level on bebop, hard bop, post bop music and beyond. I'm thinking of folks like Tom Harrell, Sean Jones, Scott Wendholt, Jim Rotondi, Marquis Hill, and on and on.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com

Last edited by PH on Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: See & Raise Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Didymus wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
---snip---

You can both fold:
Idrees Sulieman - - Terumasa Hino - - Palle Mikkelborg 🤪

Just for the sake of variety and continuing the theme:

Clifford Brown -- Donald Byrd -- Peter Evans
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:04 am    Post subject: Music Industry Terms Reply with quote

PH wrote:
I'm a jazz history nerd and have taught the subject at some great music schools for around four decades. Nonetheless, opinions on a lot of this stuff are like noses. Everyone has one and most of them smell.

Those terms are pretty arbitrary, even though almost everyone uses them. Add to that the fact that the musicians themselves didn't label the styles. Music critics and marketing people with the record companies made up the terms and the musicians only later adopted them when they were being widely used. Nevertheless, here's my take.

What we call bebop was called "modern jazz" by the musicians at the time (1940s pretty much immediately after WWII). It is generally acknowledged that bebop came from a cohort of young avant-gardists led by Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Bud Powell, and a few others. There are a few musicians who basically played a style rooted in pre-bop who could hang and had elements of the new thing in their playing. For trumpeters, this might include folks like Howard McGhee. But right on the heals of Gillespie and Parker there were other bebop trumpet players (many played in Parker's group) including Navarro (the greatest exemplar of bebop style IMO), Dorham, Red Rodney, Young Miles (who struggled at first with Parker, but eventually got his bebop chops and vocabulary together by the late '40s to a degree most non-nerds are unaware).

Bebop was the new thing and the avant-garde. The audiences were small and the gigs were sparse, so sparse that keeping together working bands with consistent personnel was almost impossible. Most recordings and gigs were with groups that were picked up for those opportunities from the small pool of players who were conversant with the new style. So, rather than having bands the pool of musicians was like a repertory company where the lead role and the collaborating players were drawn together. If you couldn't get Kenny Clarke on drums you called Max Roach and if he was busy you called Roy Haynes, etc. The tunes they played were usually known to all and gigs and records were lightly rehearsed jam sessions.

The improvised solo style of hard bop for the most part is not that different from the way beboppers played. The difference was that by the early '50s there were more small jazz clubs around the country and that every city of any size had a radio station that aimed at an African-American audience and the record labels that recorded the new jazz (Blue Note, Prestige, etc) got their new releases into the hands of the DJs for jazz shows. So the audiences in Dayton, Ohio and Peoria, Illinois knew the music, knew the artists who were on the leading edge, etc and followed those artists. It became possible for people who were "jazz famous" to book tours around North America and have enough gigs to keep a quartet, quintet, or sextet together and make a (barely) living wage playing new music. Hard bop bands got tighter ensemble work and were able to develop more intricate arrangements due to regular work and consistent personnel. Think of groups like Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers, The Horace Silver Quintet, Clifford Brown-Max Roach Quintet, the '50s Miles Davis Quintet (the group with Coltrane), etc.

1959 was a turning point for the music. There have been documentaries about all that happened in that year in jazz history. Many artists introduced new approaches to organizing their music, new forms and structures, etc. This is such a giant thing that I'd be writing a book. By this point the language, vocabulary, ornaments and gestures, etc. of bebop had become a common language for most all jazz musicians. But adapting their playing to tunes with slow moving harmonies, or no set harmonies, or no set form, etc. brings in what I consider post-bop.

Most players today study bebop and hard bop in jazz school (at least in America...and in Graz) and some never leave that. Others move far away from the bebop training and might find elements of those styles embedded in quite a few different ways of making music. The majority of today's leading players can create at a high level on bebop, hard bop, post bop music and beyond. I'm thinking of folks like Tom Harrell, Sean Jones, Scott Wendholt, Jim Rotondi, Marquis Hill, and on and on.

Hello Professor Harbison, I enjoyed reading your post.

My 2 cents: I accept that sub-genres like Cool, West Coast, Free (à la Don Cherry) can be lumped into post-bop. The industry also uses or has used labels like third-stream, latin-jazz, fusion, smooth, and more recently, "jazz-adjacent". My smelly opinion ( ) is that one cannot really count fusion and smooth jazz as post-bop. I also think that most of the time, when one used the word fusion during the 1970s, they likely meant jazz-rock fusion.

Fusion = Weather Report
Smooth = Kenny G
Adjacent = Kamasi Washington

Or, since this is trumpet-centric conversation:
Fusion = Randy Brecker
Smooth = Chris Botti
Adjacent = Timmy Trumpet

But where does a group like Medeski, Martin & Wood fit inside those industry labels?! Or a trumpet-centric group like Sexmob?
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat, I really enjoyed your insightful and so well written recap. Please write that book on 1969, I’d like to be first in line to buy it.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
Hi Pat, I really enjoyed your insightful and so well written recap. Please write that book on 1969, I’d like to be first in line to buy it.

Meanwhile, see if you can find this documentary. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5207058/

And this Wikipedia listing is very helpful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_in_jazz
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Meanwhile, see if you can find this documentary. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5207058/

Link

DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Labels without useful distinctions, IMO. I'd call all of those bop.

Bubbled up after swing/band jazz.

Dominated jazz before cool and Latin jazz splinters.

Never left.

Contrary to how books are laid out, these periods replace dominant styles but don't replace the idioms. Jazz is wonderfully coexistent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: