• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Silent Brass ST7 compatibility with current mutes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanK17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:59 am    Post subject: Silent Brass ST7 compatibility with current mutes Reply with quote

I have had the old Silent Brass ST7 trumpet kit for years and recently bought myself a flugel at long last. Does anyone happen to know whether the current flugel pickup mute (I think the model is PM-6X) is compatible with the ST7 personal studio? It occurred to me that they may have changed the connector on the mute by now (my ST7 has a minijack with an outer screw collar to keep it in place). I would just get a new kit but found some reviews on here that suggest the current personal studio is inferior in some ways.
Monosect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older model trumpet Silent Brass seem fairly common used, flugel I’d guess much (much?) less so. I have the old model and was wondering about getting the new but saw some videos showing that the intonation in the low range is bad on the new mute.
AlanK17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that's interesting Monosect. Thank you.
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Silent Brass ST7 compatibility with current mutes Reply with quote

AlanK17 wrote:
I would just get a new kit but found some reviews on here that suggest the current personal studio is inferior in some ways.

I'm not sure which model you are talking about. I have the old SB7 box and it was OK. They improved the pickup mute with the STX/SB7X line when it came out, but I wasn't a fan of the new personal studio. A lot of times I would just use the mute without it. Sometime in 2023, they introduced the new STJ personal studio that has some "improvements". I haven't got my hands on it yet to try. But I would say the new lower profile mute (SB7X) is a huge upgrade from the original mute, but the personal studios haven't improved a lot. Hopefully, this new one has done quite a bit.
BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tested backwards compatibility on the flugel mute specifically, but I have on the new generation trumpet mutes, and they work. Makes sense, as it's just a mic and a pickup in the mute portion, and all the tech wizardry happens in the box. I'd say the intonation on the newer mutes is better than the older ones, but all generations are sharp low and flat high.

For flugel especially, you want the newer generation mute. it's such a large mute to begin with, and the older style mute was quite unbalanced.

I haven't tested the newest studio box, and would really like to, as it offers USB to computer, which would be convenient. For me, the ST generation of box offered a great improvement in tonal clarity over the first generation. Not sure if the newest generation improves that still more. Would love to hear from anyone who has used it.
AlanK17

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info BadHomre. I think I will look into the latest STJ kit to see what differences there are to the current personal studio box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: