• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece with same brand as trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
So for you, the fact that I like better the yamaha mpc than a GR or Bach mpc for a Yamaha horn is just a coincidence, could be the oposite. I am not sure 100% but I think I don't agree. I don't think that is a coincidence. I don't mean that EVERYBODY will prefer the yamaha mpc for the yamaha horn, but at the same time I don't think that what I see is a coincidence.

I totally get where you are coming from, and I've found the equivalent on my Yamaha. My opinion from my own experience and from that of colleagues, is that Yamaha trumpets don't specifically like Yamaha mouthpieces, but they like an equivalent gap to a Yamaha mouthpiece on a Yamaha trumpet. Now I'm not saying that all players will like the gap of a Yamaha mouthpiece on a Yamaha trumpet. I think that this is a broad generalisation based on a mouthpiece needing to be fundamentally similar in terms of characteristics to an equivalent Yamaha mouthpiece, say a Yamaha 14B4 v a Bach 3C, A Yamaha 11C4-7C v a Bach 7C, a Yamaha 16C4 v a Bach 1 1/2C. I doubt very much that this would be applicable to something like a Monette mouthpiece.

In all honesty, my experience is only in playing Bach-style mouthpiece on a Yamaha trumpet. My 1994 Bach 7C inserts 25mm and plays great, a Yamaha 11C4-7C and Yamaha 16C4 insert 25mm and play great, as does a James R New copy of my Bach 3C with a James R New 6.5 sleeve, which inserts just over 25mm, and an equvialent James R New mouthpiece converted for his gap modulator adjusted to insert 25mm.

My original Bach 3C that inserts 24mm, and the same James R New mouthpieces with a James R New 6 sleeve that inserts 24mm, or the gap modulator adjusted to insert 24mm, play stuffy.

My honest opinion is that it is not necessarily playing a Yamaha mouthpiece on a Yamaha trumpet that you are finding preferable, but playing a mouthpiece (similar to a Yamaha mouthpiece) that gaps like a Yamaha mouthpiece in your Yamaha trumpet.

The GR owner wrote in the TH in another thread that he was going to do a GR mpc a little different to create a different GAP I think for a Yamaha horn.

I have a feeling that he did the reverse and made the gap bigger rather than smaller, and a smaller gap is probably what you are achieving by switching from a GR to a stock Yamaha mouthpiece (it is what you are likely achieving by switching from a reasonably modern Bach mouthpiece to a Yamaha mouthpiece), but I believe that this change in GR gap was for the 9335 Artist horns, and I have a feeling that they gap differently to a lot of the other models, such as my Xeno II.

Take care and best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
kerouack wrote:
abontrumpet, the yamaha 17B has a Rim, diameter and cup i am not used to, and i am playing it just 2 days.
The GR 3M has the diameter and rim i am used to and i played it for YEARS.

I dont agree with you.

That can happen when a new mouthpiece is a better fit. So, I still agree with me.

It's like saying: I have been wearing the same shoe size (41) for years and years, but I tried on a new pair of shoes (43) and they were much more comfortable. But I have been using the smaller shoes for years and so therefore those MUST have been the right ones for me. Makes little sense.

NOT unusual. Fairly common, in fact.
FEET change. Various other body parts change, with age.
You will notice, sooner-or-later .... .
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, almost EVERYONE has dismissed the vintage Blessing Super-Artist horns (the "Clifford Brown" horn), as very difficult to master,

I acquired a few, over the years, and experienced similar. I did read somewhere here on the TH, that using the original equipment supplied Blessing mouthpiece really worked well.
None of my Blessings had an original Blessing mouthpiece, so I surfed the Internet auctions, and ultimately acquired a couple (different sizes).

Guess what?
Ta-Dah !!
Transformed everything. The Super-Artists are now in my regular rotation of "Go-To" horns.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
Over the years, almost EVERYONE has dismissed the vintage Blessing Super-Artist horns (the "Clifford Brown" horn), as very difficult to master,

I acquired a few, over the years, and experienced similar. I did read somewhere here on the TH, that using the original equipment supplied Blessing mouthpiece really worked well.
None of my Blessings had an original Blessing mouthpiece, so I surfed the Internet auctions, and ultimately acquired a couple (different sizes).

Guess what?
Ta-Dah !!
Transformed everything. The Super-Artists are now in my regular rotation of "Go-To" horns.

I'm not surprised to be honest. It makes sense that the supplied mouthpiece will play well, or rather it wouldn't make sense if the supplied mouthpiece didn't play well.

I know that you are not talking about a student horn, but imagine if Yamaha, Bach, Getzen or one of the other reputable brands, produced a good quality student trumpet, but included a mouthpiece that played really poorly, it wouldn't do the students a lot of good, since a fair number would play the supplied mouthpiece.

Before anyone comes back at me lol with that this is a case of supplying a good quality mouthpiece that will play well in most trumpets, rather than one that specifically plays well in the same brand trumpet (for a manufacturer that makes instruments and mouthpieces), there must surely have been some shared design wisdom along the way.

My understanding is that the Richard Smith designed the 928 Sovereign cornet in association with a Denis Wick cornet mouthpiece.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow, thanks for your comment, very interesting.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou, may be that's why I don't like my Yamaha NEO cornet with WICK mouthpieces.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
NOT unusual. Fairly common, in fact.
FEET change. Various other body parts change, with age.
You will notice, sooner-or-later .... .

Lol. With age, over time, NOT overnight. I think you very much missed the logic presented in my post.

I also specifically choose a larger pair of shoes, not a smaller pair --

"Can Feet Get Smaller?

The short answer to this question is no, not really. You see, your foot length always stays the same. However, a reduction of up to one and a half shoe sizes is not unusual due to an overall decrease in the circumference of the foot."

Link to above quote
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: