• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing In a Musical Theater Setting

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

If TH ever needed a "Like" button, your last post was it!

Ben
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Isn't this thread just aa little bit of overkill? The young man's a H.S. sophomore who's only looming opportunity is with a school musical that he's not even going to play in. A set of high-quality mutes that you can customize? A flugelhorn? How about learning to play your horn?

A kid can dream, can't he? Maybe not.

OP - Tim's been around the block many, many times so you gotta defer to his posts for sure.

When I started subbing a bunch on Broadway during my NYC days, Brian Pareschi gave me some great advice - "Never play scared".

You'll know what that means once you start getting some opportunities.
tptLad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
Tim,

If TH ever needed a "Like" button, your last post was it!

Ben

Seriously! Thank you so much, Tim! People like you are the REASON I am on Trumpet Herald!
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the gig…. Communities will sometimes have a playhouse where local people enjoy acting in their free time. Similar to community band where people of all ages enjoy their hobby by doing musicals. Network and see if you can sit in sometime on a rehearsal. Reach out to the trumpet player(s) and maybe they will take you under their wing. A lot of times these adults will have a scheduling conflict during an month long run and need a fill in. Sometimes these pay a small amount and sometimes they do not. Don’t sweat that part.

A local college may also be an option. Especially if their trumpet studio is not deep or the students have a heavy semester.

Play clean & don’t overblow. The audience tends to be a more intimate setting and in addition to sticking out the woodwind players and conductor do not want to have to always be requesting less from a headstrong trumpeter. At the same time if you have not already been working on this skill…learn to project at low volumes with a focused tone.

These are your new colleagues so be professional and on point during rehearsals.

Listening & reading

Add West Side Story, Fiddler, and do a search for common musicals to listen to as well. See if you can get a look at the trumpet parts in your spare time.
They may look easy sometimes but those time/ tempo/ style changes happen quick. Play along w/ the recording and see if you get a chance to get some parts.

Reread and implement Tim’s post and the other advice here as often as needed.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a comment to tptLad and not having anything technical to the subject, but playing in a pit can be very rewarding and a lot of fun.

You not only develop a comradery with a (usually) small and tight group of musicians, but can extend that to cast members, as well. You wind up knowing and repeating key lines to the show, enjoy inside jokes going on from the actors while the production's going on, catching the upstaging that might go on,
and the cast parties- oy gevalt!

I've done just about everything in music I can think of and played/conducted in just about every style and if I could only pick one kind of activity I was happiest doing it was performing musicals and dramas.

As the song goes, "Nice work if you can get it and you can get it if you try".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
2. Everything that comes from the pit is intentional to support and/or enhance what is happening on stage.

Tim's expertise in the matter covers it. I'd like to add to his point #2 here:

When I was doing local community theater work, I would occasionally receive compliments from the audience. I accepted them graciously, of course, but at the same time I was irritated by it. The reason I was irritated was because the audience was not there to see me or the orchestra. They were there to see the actors on stage. If my playing was distracting them from that presentation, then it meant I was doing something wrong. The way I viewed it was that my job was to do my best for the stage performers, so they could give their best to the audience.

The best way I accomplished that was to know my basics (have the skills to get around the horn easily and be able to read like mad), study the parts, and listen listen listen to recordings to hear how my parts fit in - ahead of time.

(Obviously, the overture and entr'acte are semi-exceptions to the above because it's just the orchestra.)

As Tim said, you need to be honest with yourself. Don't try to be the hero. If you have to drop a part an octave to make it sound good, then drop the octave. The last thing you want to do after sitting through a long scene is try to pop off something in the upper register with cold chops when you can't really do it. Your face will hate you, the audience will hate you, and the cast will really hate you.

Lastly, have fun. Musical Theater can be an absolute blast. The music is exciting, and in a good performance you can feel how energized the venue becomes when all three - the cast, the pit, and the audience - really get into it.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musical theatre is my absolute favourite playing situation. The rehearsals, the performances, the energy from the cast and audience. Love it all, except idiot arrangers that think a crotchet rest is enough time to change mutes. Or even worse, expect you to be able to remove the tube from a Harmon mute for a few bars and to put in back in within a couple of beats. I just bought a second Harmon.

Can’t recall what show but I needed, straight mute, cup mute, plunger, 2 Harmon, solo tone, bucket and derby hat. Plus trumpet, cornet and flugel. They didn’t need a trumpet player, they needed a juggler. 😀

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the challenge of the instrument/mute choreography. Want to up the ante? In addition to all the trumpet-shaped things try also covering some of the French horn parts AND covering some of the string parts on a synth. Yup, three books in three different keys. I did it for a children's production of Les Mis. Good times.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music theater pits are far and away my favorite performance medium. I'm approaching 100 separate productions. I'm not a full time musician so I'm not in Tim's class. But, I can share some experiences similar to what others have said.

I've used Bb, C, A picc, Bb picc, cornet, flugelhorn, and F contralto trumpet in pits. I've also doubled on french horn, trombone, percussion, and (easy) keyboard parts.

I've used a gazillion mutes including all the ones mentioned so far plus several mutes for picc.

When covering french horn parts, I prefer to use an F contralto trumpet because it is easier for me to put down and switch to Bb trumpet than using a french horn. But, I've needed to do both.

I did cover trumpet and trombone for a college production of Sweeney Todd. That was fun, but quite difficult.

There are a few shows where I prefer to use C trumpet. I've done that for Les Mis and Into The Woods. And, I used a rotary C for Jekyll and Hyde. These were my choice, not the music directors. If I recall correctly Jekyll & Hyde did not use trumpet for the broadway production. But, there was a part for the rentals. What made it interesting was that french horn had the lead brass line most of the time and trumpet was supporting it. So, By trumpet just didn't feel right for me; hence my choice of C rotary.

I've played some shows with a lot of high notes like All Shook Up. Like Tim said, you gotta be honest with yourself if you can do it or not.

Last year, I played Singin' in the Rain and the Moses Supposes number was kicking my butt. It wasn't terribly high - only up to high E, but you just played above the staff for what seemed like forever. And, we decided to repeat it twice for scene change. I finally decided that I needed to play this piece on picc instead of Bb so avoid making a real mess of it. It worked. Nobody in the audience cared.

What I really want to say is I love playing music theater but follow Tim's advice - be honest with yourself and do what you need to do to sound good and don't try to be a hero.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nutshell, you need to be a reasonably accomplished, well-rounded player, have good sight reading skills, a couple sharp pencils, a really good eraser, and the ability to match the style if the 1st trumpet.
jbueno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Baron has a great book that he came out with called, The Broadway Trumpeter. It has a lot of great material in it! He just released another one, Vol. 2. Great stuff!

Olds Recording, 1966
Olds Mendez, 1976
Bach 37
Cannonball Flugel
Yamaha 9830 Picc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: