• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha trumpets and mouthpiece gap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Tom Hooten prefers a gap on a Yamaha Artist trumpet equivalent to what he would get with a Bach mouthpiece.

Is this evidence towards your personal preference theory? Can’t really say with a sample of one player.

Bobby Shew plays the Yamaha Shew model trumpets. Do they gap like the Yamaha Artist models? It would be interesting if they didn’t, like Hose found when comparing a Xeno to a 6335RC.

To be honest, I’m getting tired of arguing back and forth about this. I think that I've stated the reasons for my viewpoint over and over again.

We’ve ascertained that regular Yamaha mouthpieces insert around 1mm more than a lot of Bach mouthpieces. Maybe we should try to find out if this is deliberate, and whether the Yamaha trumpet models that are supplied with regular Yamaha mouthpieces, are developed in association with regular Yamaha mouthpieces.

BUT, AND I HONESTLY THINK THAT THIS IS THE CRUX OF THE SITUATION.

Yamaha trumpet receivers are generally deeper than Bach trumpet mouthpiece receivers. Yamaha mouthpieces insert further into a mouthpiece receiver that is deeper. There may be something in this.

I've been reliably informed, "Bach receiver are usually 1.115 deep and Yamahas are 1.165 deep. So the same gap would require .050 more insertion on the Yamaha." .050" is 1.27mm. Maybe this is why Yamaha mouthpieces insert around 1mm more?

That lol is the case for the defence. Honestly, I truly don't care anymore. I have no hard evidence and this is all my personal opinion, but I honestly believe that it is no coincidence that Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece receivers are generally around 1mm deeper than Bach trumpet mouthpiece receivers, and regular Yamaha trumpet mouthpieces generally insert around 1mm more than most Bach mouthpieces.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet, have you seen this (taken from https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1700487#1700487 )

ek1986 wrote:

In my experience, Bach mouthpieces have a nice sound on Yamaha Artist trumpets, they play with a nice compact tone which helps me manipulate color even better than on Yamaha mouthpieces. However, personally, the biggest deal breaker of using Bach mpcs on a Yamaha Artist trumpets is the stuffy upper register, it can be hard to access and the color isn't great unless you get lucky with a good Bach mouthpiece or modify the crap out the throat/backbore. Yamaha mouhtpieces don't play with the same color as Bach mouthpieces but the evenness makes up for it, that's why I prefer them on Yamaha Artist Trumpets.

This poster refers to modifying the crap out of the throat/backbore, but I wonder whether if he instead had his Bach mouthpiece sleeved to insert 1mm further, it would open up (to quote him) "the stuffy upper register"?

I suspect that it would.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Ok, Tom Hooten prefers a gap on a Yamaha Artist trumpet equivalent to what he would get with a Bach mouthpiece.

Is this evidence towards your personal preference theory? Can’t really say with a sample of one player.

My sample size is artists who play bach mouthpieces with yamaha trumpets and that Tom hooten seems to have designed his mouthpiece with a Bach gap in mind. (Also, my Parkes insert similar to Bachs. Unfortunately I don't own any Toshi mouthpieces -- the other popular orchestral mouthpiece -- otherwise I would have covered a lot of the american orchestral roster)

Louise Finch wrote:
To be honest, I’m getting tired of arguing back and forth about this. I think that I've stated the reasons for my viewpoint over and over again.

Same

Louise Finch wrote:
This poster refers to modifying the crap out of the throat/backbore

I have no experience with Monette mouthpieces so I do not know what somebody who prefers them is looking for in a playing experience. Furthermore, ek1986, talks about trumpet/slots in a drastically different way than I do, so I cannot relate. There are also pieces of information missing -- is it Bb trumpet or C trumpets?; that changes the conversation. How many Bach mouthpieces have they tried with their Yamaha? What does "modify the crap out of" mean to them? As it stands, it isn't something fleshed out enough for me.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot comment about Tom Hooten or other orchestral trumpet players who play with a Bach insertion amount on Yamaha Artist trumpets, other than to suggest that maybe the larger throat and more open backbore that they tend to play, possibly balances out the extra resistance from the 1mm extra gap.

All that I can conclude is that Yamaha trumpet receivers are generally 1mm deeper than Bach trumpet receivers, and it would be reasonable of me to suggest that this could very well be the reason that regular Yamaha mouthpieces insert 1mm further than a lot of Bach mouthpieces.

In all honestly, with absolutely no offence meant, I don’t think that it is worth continuing this discussion further, as we are never going to agree. Look back through this forum and you will see quite a few accounts of players commenting about Bach mouthpieces playing stuffy on Yamaha trumpets, especially in the upper register. Personally I think that is because a Yamaha trumpet receiver is around 1mm deeper, and that you have around 1mm too much gap, and that it would make sense to at least experiment with sleeves to see whether 1mm less gap improves things. If someone doesn’t want to try this, fair enough. I’m simply sharing the solution I found for me.

Let’s do us both a favour, and everyone else, and wrap up this discussion now. We are never going to agree.

My very best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Let’s do us both a favour, and everyone else, and wrap up this discussion now. We are never going to agree.

Agreed! lol. All the best.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

Agreed! lol. All the best.

And you. I’ve always been talking about the Xeno II anyhow. I’ve never even played a 9335 Yamaha.

Take care and enjoy your playing.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me continue:

Monette silver series mpc: 25mm
AR mouthpiece : 24mm
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real question is whether there is a particular 'insertion depth' that applies to various Yamaha (and others) specific 'standard' model instruments that produces an acceptable (to most players) gap.

When trying different mouthpieces, would it be useful to check the insertion depth? Maybe compare with insertion of your regular mouthpiece?

I wonder if some mouthpieces are made with insertion depth intentionally a little short, so they don't get returns due to bottom-out and are loose in the receiver.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I think the real question is whether there is a particular 'insertion depth' that applies to various Yamaha (and others) specific 'standard' model instruments that produces an acceptable (to most players) gap.

Yes, that sounds a reasonable question.

And I think that the answer to this is what has made this thread so long so far.

Personally I feel that for the standard Yamaha model trumpets and a mouthpiece along the lines of the regular Yamaha mouthpieces, that if you replicate the insertion amount of a regular Yamaha mouthpiece, you will get a gap that will be acceptable to most players.

The reason for this is that a standard Yamaha model trumpet generally has a mouthpiece receiver around 1mm deeper than a Bach mouthpiece receiver, presumably compensated for a regular Yamaha mouthpiece generally inserting around 1mm more than most Bach mouthpieces.

That is not to say that a Bach mouthpiece will not give an acceptable gap on a Yamaha trumpet, but it will generally be around 1mm more than a Bach mouthpiece on a Bach trumpet.

Personally I feel that both a Bach mouthpiece on a Bach trumpet, and a Yamaha mouthpiece on a Yamaha trumpet should result in a gap that would be acceptable to most players, but that it is more hit or miss whether a Bach mouthpiece on a Yamaha trumpet or a Yamaha mouthpiece on a Bach trumpet will give an acceptable gap, owing to their 1mm difference in insertion amount, which is over the difference between two half sleeve sizes.

On the 1st page of this thread, lipshurt said the following:

lipshurt wrote:

its more likely for a bach piece to work with a yamaha than a yamaha piece to work with a bach.

everyone is different of course, this is just general stuff that applies about 7 out of ten times.

I personally would come in the other 3 out of 10, since I generally prefer less rather than more gap, but what lipshurt says sounds reasonable to me.

When trying different mouthpieces, would it be useful to check the insertion depth? Maybe compare with insertion of your regular mouthpiece?

Yes, I think so, and this factors in a possible different gap when comparing mouthpieces. However obviously there are still the other differences between the mouthpieces.

In my case, I found a 2005 Bach 3C stuffy on my Yamaha Xeno II. It inserted 24mm. The supplied Yamaha 16C4, a Yamaha 11C4-7C and my 1994 Bach 7C all inserted 25mm and played very well.

I replicated my findings two ways, so I was comparing gap with the same mouthpiece.

1) A James R New copy of my 2005 Bach cut for sleeves. James R New 6 sleeve inserts 24mm and played stuffy, especially in the upper register. A James R New 6.5 sleeve inserts 25mm. The difference was night and day for me, with the 6.5 sleeve opening up the blow and sound, and the response improving to the extent that the trumpet literally came alive in my hand.

2) Ditto with an equivalent mouthpiece cut for the James R New gap modulator, and comparing a 24mm and 25mm insertion amount.

I wonder if some mouthpieces are made with insertion depth intentionally a little short, so they don't get returns due to bottom-out and are loose in the receiver.

That is probably why the gap occurred to begin with, and now it is presumably factored into the design.

Take care and best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

When trying different mouthpieces, if the gap is "close enough" just evaluate the mouthpiece as a whole. Don't get fixated on the gap itself. Too many variables to consider.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use a system to adjust the gap and get better performance.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your records: I also measured a Mark Gould signature Yamaha mouthpiece (friend brought it over). Like the Tom Hooten, it inserts like a Bach mouthpiece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: