• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bent Mouthpiece

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Bent Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I began trumpet lessons when I was eleven. My teacher started me with a Bach 10.5C mouthpiece. Since then for one reason or another, I have tried over 100 mouthpieces. I am now 88 and am back to the 10.5C.

My last foray was to get several bent mouthpieces to see which I preferred. I found it was the 10.5C.

I thought I would sell the others at a nice discount and chalk the loss up to education. Something seems wrong with this because they don't seem to sell. Maybe you can tell me why.

I naturally play downstream and the bend gives me more of an upright position with the horn. I find I feel and look better in this position. The bend in no way deters from the mouthpiece's performance.

I am now playing cornet and have several like new bent mouthpieces for sale at a nice discount.

Cornet: Bach 1 and 10.5E and Trumpet: Bach 10.5A and 10.5D
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the mouthpieces you want to sell are bent, that's probably one of the reasons. I don't think most potential buyers want them.

Another reason may be that your potential customers have been on plenty of mouthpiece safaris themselves, and have tried or owned the same type mouthpieces.

When I was young, 10 1/2 Cs were common but I think over the years there has been a trend to larger mouthpieces. Hence, no real interest in your 10 1/2 Cs.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNMH - the issue may be the lack of clarity in your ad:
Quote:
I am a downstream player and discovered I have more confidence by holding my horn parallel to the floor. Recently I bought several pieces for $135.00 each. The one that worked best for me was the 10.5C. I have the others for sale at $74.95 each. The bend does not affect the quality of your playing, just makes you look and feel better. So bid with confidence. Each was used lightly by me in my studio. They are just like new in their boxes.

In the ad, it is not clear what brand-sizes-horn mouthpieces you are selling and at what angle they are bent. You should also state what method of payment you can accept. You stated some info in your post, but not in the ad. As they say, “Pictures are worth a 1000 words. So if you can, add pics.

Here’s a link on how to post pics. https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146974

Regards,
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be interested in the 1C. I have a soprano trombone that doesn't have enough clearance between the mouthpiece and the bell bend. I'm pretty sure it's a cornet receiver... I'll check.
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
If the mouthpieces you want to sell are bent, that's probably one of the reasons. I don't think most potential buyers want them.

Another reason may be that your potential customers have been on plenty of mouthpiece safaris themselves, and have tried or owned the same type mouthpieces.

When I was young, 10 1/2 Cs were common but I think over the years there has been a trend to larger mouthpieces. Hence, no real interest in your 10 1/2 Cs.

The bend gave me a lot of self confidence in not having to tilt my head backwards anymore.

The current Bach 10.5C is larger than the Mount Vernon version.
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnman wrote:
DNMH - the issue may be the lack of clarity in your ad:
Quote:
I am a downstream player and discovered I have more confidence by holding my horn parallel to the floor. Recently I bought several pieces for $135.00 each. The one that worked best for me was the 10.5C. I have the others for sale at $74.95 each. The bend does not affect the quality of your playing, just makes you look and feel better. So bid with confidence. Each was used lightly by me in my studio. They are just like new in their boxes.

In the ad, it is not clear what brand-sizes-horn mouthpieces you are selling and at what angle they are bent. You should also state what method of payment you can accept. You stated some info in your post, but not in the ad. As they say, “Pictures are worth a 1000 words. So if you can, add pics.

Here’s a link on how to post pics. https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146974

Regards,
Ron

Here I was just seeking an answer, not selling. Will fill the ad out better.
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
I may be interested in the 1C. I have a soprano trombone that doesn't have enough clearance between the mouthpiece and the bell bend. I'm pretty sure it's a cornet receiver... I'll check.

Please see my ad about this in TH.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play a bent mouthpiece and it ended up not being for me. I was experimenting with a different playing position at the time that caused me to tilt down, and it turns out I play a lot better with a more straight forward horn angle personally.

However, there are lots of great players that use bent mouthpieces. Patrick Hession, Miles Davis, Chuck Findley, and Dontae Winslow to name a few.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bent mouthpiece community is pretty small. I've been playing bent mouthpieces (or, for a time, Wedge mouthpieces with angled rims) for several decades. I've only encountered a handful of fellow bent-mouthpiece players in all that time. A very few players have been intrigued enough to try a bent mouthpiece after seeing me play on mine, and only one player stuck with it.

And one player I used to play with took one look at my first bent mouthpiece and said, "What is that monstrosity?"
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
I used to play a bent mouthpiece and it ended up not being for me. I was experimenting with a different playing position at the time that caused me to tilt down, and it turns out I play a lot better with a more straight forward horn angle personally.

However, there are lots of great players that use bent mouthpieces. Patrick Hession, Miles Davis, Chuck Findley, and Dontae Winslow to name a few.

The bent mouthpiece will allow a downstreamer to play forward.
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that one reason bent mouthpieces are not commonly used might be because a lot of people might think that they look silly. My horn angle is slightly downward, not really pronounced, but even if it was more pronounced, I still would not be caught dead using a bent mouthpiece.

Dave Harrison, inventor of the Wedge Mouthpiece, makes mouthpieces with angled rims, which achieve the desired straightening-out of the horn angle without the goofy look of a bent mouthpiece.

Chuck Findley now plays Wedge Mouthpieces with angled rims.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekend Warrior wrote:
It's possible that one reason bent mouthpieces are not commonly used might be because a lot of people might think that they look silly.

Results are what count. I started playing bent mouthpieces because of problems with my TM joint. Decades later I'm still happily playing bent mouthpieces and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.

Have fun playing into your stand.
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
Weekend Warrior wrote:
It's possible that one reason bent mouthpieces are not commonly used might be because a lot of people might think that they look silly.

Results are what count. I started playing bent mouthpieces because of problems with my TM joint. Decades later I'm still happily playing bent mouthpieces and couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.

Don't worry about me, my horn angle is just fine. Bent mouthpieces don't change the results of anyone's playing. If anything they cause a tendency to play with a more receded jaw than originally, while looking silly.

Have fun playing your bent brass clarinet.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekend Warrior wrote:
nieuwguyski wrote:
Weekend Warrior wrote:

Don't worry about me, my horn angle is just fine. Bent mouthpieces don't change the results of anyone's playing. If anything they cause a tendency to play with a more receded jaw than originally, while looking silly.

Have fun playing your bent brass clarinet.
They don't look that weird. Nobody really cares if your mouthpiece is slightly bent. I previously mentioned great players that play bent mouthpieces, I don't think they look silly. When the horn is pointing down at the floor, and their chin is raised up, that looks much less cool IMO!

I think the bigger problem is more that you have to make sure the mouthpiece is perfectly lined up every time you play, otherwise the angle is altered. It also means every mouthpiece you play needs to be bent to a specific degree. So much of what we do is muscle memory so little changes can be confusing.
Weekend Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
They don't look that weird. Nobody really cares if your mouthpiece is slightly bent.

That's just your opinion. You're trying to assert that the whole world's opinion is the same as yours and that your word is absolute. It is not.

I simply postulated the possibility that people might not use bent mouthpieces because they think they look goofy. And it is a valid point that playing a bent mouthpiece might cause a person to play with an even more pronounced receded jaw.

The arguments over these differing opinions is not as important as my main point, which is that an angled rim is a better option because it gets rid of the goofy look and when someone plays gigs where he/she is visible to the audience, that's a consideration. Chuck Findley didn't switch to an angled rim for no reason.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekend Warrior wrote:
Jaw04 wrote:
They don't look that weird. Nobody really cares if your mouthpiece is slightly bent.

That's just your opinion. You're trying to assert that the whole world's opinion is the same as yours and that your word is absolute. It is not.

I have to agree with you on this. The statement "nobody really cares if your mouthpiece is slightly bent" is clearly not true, because you obviously care a lot. There are others who agree, like the guy who called my first bent mouthpiece a "monstrosity." We're all entitled to our opinions.

Weekend Warrior wrote:
I simply postulated the possibility that people might not use bent mouthpieces because they think they look goofy. And it is a valid point that playing a bent mouthpiece might cause a person to play with an even more pronounced receded jaw.

Yes, you and others would never use a bent mouthpiece because you think they look goofy. However, the whole reason to use a bent mouthpiece is to change the relationship between bell position and jaw position. In some cases it's to raise the bell without having to push to lower mandible farther out, while in others it's to keep the bell position the same while allowing the lower mandible to recede to a more comfortable and healthier position. If someone chose to use a bent mouthpiece and kept the same horn angle, resulting in their messing up their playing with an excessively receded jaw, then we would agree on the word "goofy." You would think they looked goofy, and I would think they were goofy.

Weekend Warrior wrote:
The arguments over these differing opinions is not as important as my main point, which is that an angled rim is a better option because it gets rid of the goofy look and when someone plays gigs where he/she is visible to the audience, that's a consideration. Chuck Findley didn't switch to an angled rim for no reason.

Honestly, the "visible to the audience" thing isn't a consideration... in my informed opinion. I have played a lot of club and festival gigs in a lot of states over the past 25 or so years, all on bent mouthpieces. Nobody has ever shouted, "look at the loser playing the goofy-looking bent mouthpiece!" Seriously, I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times an audience member approached me during a break or after the gig and asked me if there was something different about my mouthpiece. Every time I explained that my mouthpiece was bent a little to help me keep my bell up and they never judged me; usually they thought it was cool.

Finally -- seriously? You're claiming that Chuck Findley switched from a bent mouthpiece to a Wedge angled rim because he was embarrassed? That's hilarious. Findley switched to a Wedge rim because it worked better for him. The nature of the Wedge rim makes an angled rim a better, more precise way to create the "bent mouthpiece" feel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: