• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Matt Brockman??? what's the scoop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trptboy3
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearing up the Army bandsman confusion. Matt Brockman is not, nor has ever been, a member of The United States Army Band "Pershings Own". He has never been a member of any of the DC Army premiere bands. The fact that he even eludes to that destroys any and all credibility. He's deliberately fooling people into thinking he has credibility and a certain level professional experience and success that he simply has not achieved. He's a scam artist.

His actual background was as a member of AN army band in the army band program. I know he was at one time stationed with the band in Savannah, Georgia, but I have no idea if he's still in.

To be clear, there are some fantastic musicians and people in those bands around the country, and the world. I have the utmost respect for what they do and how they choose to serve their country. Matt simply isn't one of them and is the antithesis of the Army values, as well as those required to simply be a good human. If anyone is looking for quality trumpet instruction at a fair price, I implore you to look elsewhere.

Matt Gaunitz
Trumpeter - US Army Band "Pershings Own"
Former Bugler - US Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very curious to hear about these other people teaching lessons through Brock's program. I question what kind of legitimately qualified teacher would hitch their wagon to him given everything that's out there...
Wondra
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has raised my curiosity about this guy. Check out this video of him "playing" on Adagio, Albinoni arr. Caleb Hudson. If you look closely, you'll notice that he is playing with his back to the organ, then as he puts his horn down he is immediately facing the organ. This kind of flash flip flop happens several times. Ever so often his body looks huge compared to the other players, and at one point the bell on his pic looks minuscule, then it's back to normal size.

It seems that he digitally inserted himself into the video. What do you sleuths think? Here is the link (It's the first video):
https://www.mattbrockmantrumpet.com/listen

Don't make me get the flying monkeys...
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondra wrote:
This thread has raised my curiosity about this guy. Check out this video of him "playing" on Adagio, Albinoni arr. Caleb Hudson. If you look closely, you'll notice that he is playing with his back to the organ, then as he puts his horn down he is immediately facing the organ. This kind of flash flip flop happens several times. Ever so often his body looks huge compared to the other players, and at one point the bell on his pic looks minuscule, then it's back to normal size.

It seems that he digitally inserted himself into the video. What do you sleuths think? Here is the link (It's the first video):

I like it when his right arm melts through the transparent music desk on the organ.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondra wrote:

Strange bit of editing - at least he comes clean in his response to a comment by zmmetz in what's currently the last comment:

Quote:
Wish I could claim this was live. But this was done with green screens and video magic!

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Eli’s Coming

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m always reluctant to try online lessons. There’s so many good trumpet players locally it’s just easier to reach out to one and have them help me work out whatever technique problems I’m experiencing. $8,000 is a lot of money to spend on lessons that come with no guarantee. You just might come out of it no better than you were going into it except you’re out a boatload of money. You’d be better off spending the $8,000 on a used Monette. At least if you get nothing out of it you can sell it.
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
Regardless of his perceived actual abilities, this guy has worked the system to his advantage and is bringing in over $100k per MONTH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82ZA8FKXdL0&t=190s
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow.
Regardless of his perceived actual abilities, this guy has worked the system to his advantage and is bringing in over $100k per MONTH

Scam artists tend to do well, especially in this age of the Internet where they can easily connect with people to scam. This is a scam.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli’s Coming wrote:
$8,000 is a lot of money to spend on lessons that come with no guarantee. You just might come out of it no better than you were going into it except you’re out a boatload of money

In his 10 picks for beginners video I mentioned in my earlier post, I was so thrown by his thinking a 14A4a is an ML bore trumpet that looks like a trombone, that I forgot to mention his top pick: the Yamaha YTR-2330, which he writes on the screen is gold plated. Since he cannot tell the difference between gold, and a bit of paint pigment in lacquer, maybe he takes payment in "gold coins" such as conduit box knock-outs plus a little spray paint.... It would match the value of the payment to the value of the apparent "wisdom" offered.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trompette229 wrote:
Wow.

This is straight out of a "learn how to day-trade stocks" scam promotion. This guy has no problem with lying to his customers, and making himself seem like he's pulling in over 1MM per year is another tactic to make people think others are successfully following his program, and that potential customers are "missing out" on his course. Bragging about net worth to sell an online course is nothing new. There are countless examples of people selling "personal finance" courses who rent sports cars and take photos on a studio set meant to look like a private jet to say "you could make all this money too, just buy my course". Of course, the cars are rentals, the jewelry is fake, the plane is studio set, and the "promotional models" are paid by the hour. This scam is no different. The idea is to make yourself seem successful to lure in desperate customers.

Think about it from another angle: would someone who is making over a million dollars doing online lessons really have such a rudimentary studio setup? The lighting is terrible, the video quality is equally amateurish, and I don't see any sign of a studio-quality microphone, which should be a no-brainer purchase (and tax write-off) for someone doing as well as he claims. Why would someone with so much disposable income splice themself into a pre-recorded track like someone mentioned earlier? With $100k per month at your disposal, you could hire an outstanding group of professional players to record live at the concert hall of your choosing.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy will tell you anything in order to make a buck. Doesn't matter if it's true. Pathological liar IMO.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondra wrote:

1000% he's playing in front of a green screen.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trompette229 wrote:
Wow.

There's no way he's making 100k a month with that haircut.
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trompette229 wrote:
Wow.

We're looking at multi-level-scamming going on here. Not only do you grift, you also grift more people looking to learn to grift.
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does appear he's taking advantage and definitely aiming at older comeback players that are more likely to have disposable income.
BRM2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
BRM2 wrote:
Also, because of my location, all of the live coaching calls occurred during the middle of the night for me. While I could not attend the coaching calls, they are all recorded and archived. Also, while Matt is available to answer questions, I have not seen him on a coaching call.

Can you clarify the above? What does a coaching call consist of? How does someone coach you if you're not there actively participating?

Did he clarify the specifics of his Army Band career? Which band or bands was he a member of?

I am located in Europe and initially all of the coaching calls occurred after midnight my time. It would usually consist of a group warm-up and playing through some fundamental exercises with the coach available for feedback. Questions about playing as well as music(etudes, excerpts, jazz, etc) are addressed. I could post my questions and have them addressed in the group if I am not available. This has recently changed and I now have calls available at more convenient times for me now.

I could see that he was an a regular active Army Band out of Georgia. He was not a member of any of the premier bands in DC. I can definitely assure you that there are many outstanding trumpet players in the regular active Army Bands.
Marcinkiewicz E13 C. FINDLEY
Lotus 2M (Bronze)
GR 67MS
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they cover ear training or improv at all, or was it fairly basic exercises and reading off printed music?
BRM2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually basic exercises and reading off printed music. Interpretation and musicality, etc.. are all addressed with printed music as well. Ear training as far as helping with playing music. I have not participated in any calls that involved improvisation.
Lotus 2M (Bronze)
GR 67MS
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRM2 wrote:
Usually basic exercises and reading off printed music. Interpretation and musicality, etc.. are all addressed with printed music as well. Ear training as far as helping with playing music. I have not participated in any calls that involved improvisation.

Any on using AutoTune technology in recording?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
BRM2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
BRM2 wrote:

Any on using AutoTune technology in recording?

Not that I know of. I don't have access to the portion of the program that talks about recording.
Lotus 2M (Bronze)
GR 67MS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: