• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

AR Resonance VS. Lotus

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
Why you don’t use an AR mpc with the AR trumpet ? Both would perfectly fit to get the maximum quality from the AR trumpet.

Because I just got the horns and didn't want to invest in AR mouthpieces if I wasn't going to decide on keeping one of the horns.

I'm definitely going to keep the 140mm raw Feroce, so I'll go ahead and look into AR mouthpieces again to see if I can find a good match.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i were you, or, another way of saying it, if i go to try and AR, Lotus or Bhome or Yamaha artist model, i would make sure 150% that i am trying it with a mouthpiece perfect designed for it.
For the brands that make horns and also make mpcs, thats not very difficult, just using a mpc same brand than the instrument.

It could happen that you dont like the AR, Lotus or Yamaha or Bohme or Monette, not because you dont really like the horn, but because the mpc you are using does not fit perfectly the design of the trumpet.

It is better to compare, for example, a yamaha artist model with a yamaha mpc similar than the one you use, with a AR trumpet with a AR mouthpiece similar to the one you use.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
If i were you, or, another way of saying it, if i go to try and AR, Lotus or Bhome or Yamaha artist model, i would make sure 150% that i am trying it with a mouthpiece perfect designed for it.
For the brands that make horns and also make mpcs, thats not very difficult, just using a mpc same brand than the instrument.

It could happen that you dont like the AR, Lotus or Yamaha or Bohme or Monette, not because you dont really like the horn, but because the mpc you are using does not fit perfectly the design of the trumpet.

It is better to compare, for example, a yamaha artist model with a yamaha mpc similar than the one you use, with a AR trumpet with a AR mouthpiece similar to the one you use.

When trying new horns, I avoid changing more than one variable at a time.

I did play my Lotus Classic on a Lotus mouthpiece…as well as multiple Monette models with Monette mouthpieces (Dave won’t let you use any other brand) and nothing magical happened.
In my experience, Lotus and Monette instruments played better with my ACB mouthpiece than with their own brand.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the logic of changing " one variable at a time ", thats why i would not try a AR horn with a AR mpc that is " super different" of the mouthpiece i use now in my Yamaha trumpet. I would talk with AR and choose the AR mpc that is "more similar" to my Yamaha mpc.

But also, it does not make sense, to try a trumpet with a mouthpiece that in reality i will never use with it, cause in case i buy the horn i will buy a same brand mouthpiece.

If you already tried Monette with Monette mpc, or AR with AR mouthpiece, and you like better an ACB or other mpc, then fine, i just think that to try the horn wit ha same brand mpc is needed to be sure that you dont like the horn cause the mpc does not perfectly fits the horn.

An example, my Yamaha artist model, tried with a GR mouthpiece i have or a Bach mpc i have, is not GREAT, is very good, but not great, but i tried it with a Yamaha mpc that is not even the diameter, the rim not even the cup i usually use, and then is GREAT.

So, in my opinion, to be sure 100%, in general, that the reason you dont like an horn is really the horn, and not the mpc used with it, the easiest and cheapest way to test, is to test it with a mpc that is same brand than the horn.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're a bit too focused on the premise that a horn plays best with a mouthpiece from the same manufacturer, solely based on the fact that you had a good experience with it once.

Given ericmpena's vast experience and professional knowledge, I'm very sure that he has given enough consideration to the effects of the mouthpiece on his testing. He even stated that in his past experiences, there was little evidence of mouthpiece/trumpet matching. It's very likely that his testing process was thorough and effective, tailored to his preferences and intended usage. He even tried multiple versions of the trumpet after all, which is more than most of us would do.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces

Last edited by stuartissimo on Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stuartissimo,
It is not once.
Cause i tried my Yamaha 6345 with a GR M3, GR MX, bach 3C, bach 1/2 C, yamaha 7C, AR mouthpiece, also a yamaha 17B4 and a bach symphonic.

So that's 8 times trying.

Then i did the same but with the Yamaha artist model, so thats another 8 times.

In Total that's 16 times trying.

It can be just casual that both Yamaha trumpets work remarkably better with the Yamaha mpcs ?

I don't say that always an horn will play best with a mpc of the same brand, what i say is that using a mpc same brand the risk of not liking the horn but because the mpc does not fit the horn, not cause you really dont like the horn IS BY FAR!!! A LOT LOWER than using in general, any other brand of mpc.

For example, if i am going to try a AR horn, may be a picket mpc will work better with it for me than a AR mpc right ? well, may be, same with reeves, same with GR, same with monette, so what do i do, do i buy ALL OF THEM to try the AR trumpet ? and see if with any, works better for me than with the AR mpc ? and i can push to the limit the AR trumpet ? is someone really going to buy all of them and 10 more mpc brands ? how much money are you planning to spend for just trying an horn and see if you like it ?

It is just common sense to lower the risk, BY FAR!!!, just trying it with an AR mpc similar to the mpc you use.
And after that, if you like it better with other mpc you already have, then try it and use it, thats fine.

It is just common sense.

And i am not talking just to ericmpena's , this is not a PM, i am talking to everybody, in general, about trying any horn from any brand. Even Custo horns like Thane. I would ask Thane before trying it " does this receiver fit well a Yamaha mpc, or is more for a bach mpc ? with which one or any other brand should i try the horn ? ".
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AM SURE THANE does custo work to create a receiver that perfectly fits the mpc brand you tell him, cause he is a very good horn builder, i am sure he knows about all this.
And AR already have a way to adjust the GAP to make the horn to work best with lof of different mpc design and brands.
And Monette tells you to use Monette mpcs, and Lotus also sell mpcs.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw, 140mm vs. Lacquered, 132mm.

Which sound do you prefer?

I feel that the raw bell has a wider range of color and vibrance. It also has a more open blow, which I prefer.
The lacquered horn is warm and smooth. It's slightly more restrictive to play with a tighter blow.

Link

Last edited by ericmpena on Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
TJTS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 0.02

132mm
Slightly more compact in sound
Sound is not breaking up at dynamics
More round and more core - a dense sound

140mm
Slightly more broad sound
Sound is barking and breaking up at dynamics - not in a good way
Less round and less core - more of a smile type of EQ - I hear highs and lows, but the middle presence is absent

I prefer the 132 personally. But then again, this is uploaded to YouTube with audio compression. Record a lossless and upload to Google Drive or something and we might tell more than the video!

Maybe try a smaller backbore with the 140mm to tame it in a bit and regain the mids?

FYI - this is listening with high quality headphones.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJTS wrote:
My 0.02

132mm
Slightly more compact in sound
Sound is not breaking up at dynamics
More round and more core - a dense sound

140mm
Slightly more broad sound
Sound is barking and breaking up at dynamics - not in a good way
Less round and less core - more of a smile type of EQ - I hear highs and lows, but the middle presence is absent

I prefer the 132 personally. But then again, this is uploaded to YouTube with audio compression. Record a lossless and upload to Google Drive or something and we might tell more than the video!

Maybe try a smaller backbore with the 140mm to tame it in a bit and regain the mids?

FYI - this is listening with high quality headphones.

I just uploaded a new version of the video with the audio better EQ'd. My first upload did sound pretty harsh because of my closeness to the mic.
I dialed the sound back to 60%, which matches closer to what I hear in person.

I have already uploaded the link on my post, so it'll take you to the newer upload.

In person I do feel that the 140mm breaks up a bit, but I blame that on the horn being very easy to play and me wanting to overplay it. I'd have to get used to dialing my air back a bit.

The 132mm is exactly how you said. More compact, a bit more core, and more controlled.

Take a listen to the newer upload and let me know if your thoughts change at all.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, I really appreciate that you share videos of your playing, and you sound great. Watching videos of good players playing different horns is pretty fun. I think the listener can gather which horn the player favors, and/or which horn they are comfortable with.
However, I do want to bring this point that I think that videos are not a good way to compare/contrast horns. Videos can be very misleading. There are a lot of variables and nuances in playing the trumpet and how they sound in real life, blending with an ensemble. Different player/horn/mouthpiece combos yield very different results.
I wonder if beginners think that you can actually determine which horn is better from watching someone comparing different horns online. I think this is a huge error. It is beneficial to listen critically and try to spot the differences, so it is a good exercise in developing active listening. But it is not an accurate way to compare instruments.
That is not to say you shouldn't upload videos of your playing or comparing horns, but I just feel that disclaimer is necessary in 2024 trumpet world.
My 2 cents
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Eric, I really appreciate that you share videos of your playing, and you sound great. Watching videos of good players playing different horns is pretty fun. I think the listener can gather which horn the player favors, and/or which horn they are comfortable with.
However, I do want to bring this point that I think that videos are not a good way to compare/contrast horns. Videos can be very misleading. There are a lot of variables and nuances in playing the trumpet and how they sound in real life, blending with an ensemble. Different player/horn/mouthpiece combos yield very different results.
I wonder if beginners think that you can actually determine which horn is better from watching someone comparing different horns online. I think this is a huge error. It is beneficial to listen critically and try to spot the differences, so it is a good exercise in developing active listening. But it is not an accurate way to compare instruments.
That is not to say you shouldn't upload videos of your playing or comparing horns, but I just feel that disclaimer is necessary in 2024 trumpet world.
My 2 cents

Thanks for your input!

Depending on what you're looking for, my videos may or may not be helpful. Listening to me play in my living room will not give you an idea of how the horn blends in an ensemble, nor will it show you how wide the sound cone is or how well it projects.

The main differences I wish to capture are articulation clarity and tone color, which I feel are captured well enough to match what I experience in person.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only an amateur hack and play nowhere near where Eric is at, but I do like the smaller bell better. The articulations seem more precise and the sound is more defined.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I am only an amateur hack and play nowhere near where Eric is at, but I do like the smaller bell better. The articulations seem more precise and the sound is more defined.

I just finished my first gig of the day with it and I can kinda feel like the larger bell is a bit too diffused. I was in a large room at a community center that had good acoustics. I couldn’t really hear myself and caught myself overplaying a bit. And when you overplay with the large bell, the sound breaks up.

I think I’m going to try some of the heavy trim for my next gigs and see if I can get the horn to stabilize a little more.

I would try the small bell, but honestly it plays too tight for what I prefer. The smaller bell seems like it would be fine for classical or ensemble work. Since I’m typically playing solo in louder environments, the large bell should be the better choice.
TJTS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed... Still prefer the smaller bell for sure.... Overblowing a 140mm bell would get super old super fast. As I mentioned before, try to tame it down a bit with a smaller or more narrow backbore. Or, experiment and add some gap with the modular system. You of course might create a problem trying to fix a problem. But hey, we trumpet players are made fun of for a reason. (gear related).
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update with the AR Feroce 140mm (5 1/2").

I played 5 hours with it this weekend and what I found was:

The lightweight trim makes the horn a bit too unstable. It reminds me a lot of the Edwards X-13 with no sound pillar attached. When pushed, the core of the sound gets a bit out of control.

The medium trim works the best for me. It makes the horn stable enough without changing the feel too much.

The heavy trim makes the horn too stable. Something about the added weight made the slotting tighter but also less forgiving.

In the end, I think the playability of the horn is excellent, BUT I think the larger bell flare is too diffused for what I'm looking for. If the flare was 132mm then I believe I'd love the horn. The problem with the smaller 132mm is that I believe the bell taper is smaller as well, which gives the horn a smaller sound and tighter blow.

My ideal bell setup would be a 5" flare (132mm) but with a large bell taper for an open blow and large sound...which is exactly what I have with the bell on my Thane Performance.

I've messed around with a few things on my Thane as well, and at this point I still believe it's the best playing trumpet I've ever played.

I spent 2 months testing out the MAW pistons, but have concluded that the standard pistons give more consistency and clearer tone.

My Thane also got a Bob Reeves alignment, and after removing the alignment and putting my factory stems back on, I can safely say that the Bob Reeves alignment is no joke. My Thane, which was already awesome, feels and sounds so much better with the alignment. All the notes speak more open, plus the slotting and intonation has noticeably improved.

If you're interested in a Feroce, I'll be listing mine up for sale at a discounted price soon.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your (very detailed) thoughts on the Feroce, as well as the (excellently played) recording. I enjoyed reading all of it.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Trollet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
ericmpena wrote:
I’ve played both and while neither brands were a good fit for me, if I had to pick one it would be Lotus.

The AR Resonance horns I’ve got played (Suprema and Estrema) had very poor projection. They probably sound fine when playing into a microphone, but in a live, acoustic setting I found the sound to barely travel a few feet in front of me. At the time, I was comparing AR Resonance to my Edwards X-13. The Edwards was far superior in playability and sound.

This sounds like it protects just fine...
https://youtu.be/6q5I1FBpd5U?si=3ZwnneAjWCrn-PIp

he is playing a van laar oiram with an AR resonance mouthpiece in this clip
Mpcs:
GR 64SZ* - and a bunch more
Bach 7FL
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trollet wrote:
Destructo wrote:
ericmpena wrote:
I’ve played both and while neither brands were a good fit for me, if I had to pick one it would be Lotus.

The AR Resonance horns I’ve got played (Suprema and Estrema) had very poor projection. They probably sound fine when playing into a microphone, but in a live, acoustic setting I found the sound to barely travel a few feet in front of me. At the time, I was comparing AR Resonance to my Edwards X-13. The Edwards was far superior in playability and sound.

This sounds like it protects just fine...
https://youtu.be/6q5I1FBpd5U?si=3ZwnneAjWCrn-PIp

he is playing a van laar oiram with an AR resonance mouthpiece in this clip

You clearly didn't make it past 8 seconds of the video before commenting...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: