• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vincent BACH 1 popularity issue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
I believe around 16.50mm for a Bach 7C, 16.7mm for a Bach 5C and 16.89 or 16.9mm for a Bach 3C. Bach 1 1/2Cs seem to always have been around 17mm, which in my opinion is possible evidence against the worn cutters theory.

Bach measurements (and most inner rim diameter measurements) are largely pointless. The only way they are useful is if you are using the same rim contour over your entire line/sizes, otherwise it's just a rough idea of what you're going to get. Additionally, the inconsistency of Bach mouthpieces through the years makes it so you can have wide variation between two "identical" mouthpieces (even of the same era). Often these differences have significant effect on playing and the feel of the mouthpiece.

Louise Finch wrote:
it appears that they may just have a different blank

They definitely feel like their own thing. They don't feel like modern pieces, IMO.
From Conn-Selmer: "Hearkening back to Vincent Bach’s early 192[0]’s New York designs . . . These mouthpieces come standard with a 24 backbore and a 27 throat. . . "
From Hickeys: "Internal dimensions replicate 'cherry' models set aside by Vincent Bach himself."

It only says "internal dimensions" which I suppose leaves the Rim, up to interpretation. Many feel that the rims are not the same. The combo of inconsistency and 24 backbore probably give a fairly different playing experience even if they are "identical" to the standard modern line.

Disclaimer, I've only ever tried like. 1 or 2 artisans.

Last edited by abontrumpet on Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
I believe around 16.50mm for a Bach 7C, 16.7mm for a Bach 5C and 16.89 or 16.9mm for a Bach 3C. Bach 1 1/2Cs seem to always have been around 17mm, which in my opinion is possible evidence against the worn cutters theory.

Bach measurements (and most inner rim diameter measurements) are largely pointless. The only way they are useful is if you are using the same rim contour over your entire line/sizes, otherwise it's just a rough idea of what you're going to get. Additionally, the inconsistency of Bach mouthpieces through the years makes it so you can have wide variation between two "identical" mouthpieces (even of the same era). Often these differences have significant effect on playing and the feel of the mouthpiece.

You are not lol selling Bach to me. This is why I use James R New copies of my 2005 Bach 3C. I've recently had three more tops made, and I can't tell the difference between these and ones made throughout the years going back to 2009. The James R New backbores and sleeves are consistent enough too.

Louise Finch wrote:
it appears that they may just have a different blank

They are definitely their own thing. They don't feel like modern or MTV. I believe they are closer/copies to NY design.

Thanks very much. I've never seen one.

From Conn-Selmer: "Hearkening back to Vincent Bach’s early 192[0]’s New York designs . . . These mouthpieces come standard with a 24 backbore and a 27 throat. . . "

So not a larger throat, but the 24 backbore.

Take care and best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: