• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need Trumpet Bag for Air Travel - Must be carry on

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dladore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:48 am    Post subject: Need Trumpet Bag for Air Travel - Must be carry on Reply with quote

Hi all,
I will be travelling to France in June and I need a decent trumpet bag so I can safely carry on my horn without bag checking it. Also, I don't want to break the bank as I will probably not be doing a lot of air travel, other than this trip. I would like it to fit in the overhead compartment and not worry about it being damaged. Will be bringing a couple of mutes and mouthpieces as well. Any suggestions?
BadHomreSure

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fly with a trumpet every couple of weeks. I use either a torpedo bag, which is absolutely bomber, or a garde compact triple, which fits a laptop, some mutes, and has enough room for a couple of changes of clothes if I’m only doing an overnight. Both have worked fine, and both easily fit in overhead. I flew to France with the gard a couple of months ago.

Josh Landress would also want me to point out that he got them to add a hidden document stash behind the backpack straps, so you can feel like a spy.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reunion Blues Continental Voyager.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a Marcus Bonna single and a Protec PRO PAC Slimline. I prefer the Marcus Bonna, but both have worked fine and the Protec costs a lot less.

I should note that I put my practice mute in my luggage so that I can just travel with a small single case. I've never had a problem finding space for it in an overhead, and no flight attendant would ever ask you to check a bag like that.

If you wanted to fit your mutes and a few small personal items in a case, the Gard Elite Compat Double is a nice option. While it is not a hard-sized case, it is still quite protective and I wouldn't hesitate to put one in an overhead compartment as the sides are rigid and well padded.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I've used a Marcus Bonna single and a Protec PRO PAC Slimline. I prefer the Marcus Bonna, but both have worked fine and the Protec costs a lot less.

Do not purchase a Marcus Bona if you care about the safety of your trumpets. My duty is done.

For a single case, basically most things will work. I'd go protec for the bank as has been mentioned. For a lifetime case that will protect well, torpedo bag (I've checked it through regular luggage check and it always comes out intact on the other side).
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do not purchase a Marcus Bona if you care about the safety of your trumpets. My duty is done.

I'm not questioning your experience with Marcus Bonna cases. I'd just note that I have been using my single and double for years and have found them to be well made and protective.

Quote:
For a lifetime case that will protect well, torpedo bag (I've checked it through regular luggage check and it always comes out intact on the other side).

The Torpedo Classic is an amazingly protective case. It is also a bit longer than the Protec or Bonna single cases, and I find that it does not fit in some aircraft overhead compartments. I've never had to check a trumpet, thankfully, but the Torpedo Classic is the only single case I would feel remotely safe checking.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I’ve used a Reunion Blues and ProPac singe and put them under my seat, never in the overhead. I now have a ProPac double and Marcus Bona triple (2 1/2), but haven’t had to fly with them yet.
Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protec CT. Compact, light, protective, durable and cheap.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:

I'm not questioning your experience with Marcus Bonna cases. I'd just note that I have been using my single and double for years and have found them to be well made and protective.

Have you ever dropped them from above hip height? The number of mangled horns of friends that I have seen is what leads me to always warn against MB. You're much better off with even a soft case.

Your mileage may vary.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you've got the coin, and I wonder why I didn't mention it before, is a Torpedo case. Very compact, and bullet-proof.

https://torpedobags.com/product/classic/

And. actually - and this has no connection to my recommendation - I have a like-new one I would be willing to sell you.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dladore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going with the Torpedo! Thanks all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: