• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I get a pro horn for a 5th grader?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two top-line demo horns and they are great. Don't neglect a search in that classification. I started my son on a Getzen Capri. I don't play Getzens myself, but they are good and have great valves, as does Schilke.
I prefer medium-large bores, so check on the bore size! Whatever you choose, remember kids drop horns.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just more food for thought. Do NOT blindly purchase brand x, y, or z just because someone else (or many other people) say it is great. If at all possible, have you son play several different model of trumpets and find one that he likes the best. The one he finds easiest to play, sound good on, and has good natural intonation.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
You say that the valves are sticking more frequently on his current horn. Most of the time that is a maintenance issue and not a horn mechanics issue...
It's a $100 Amazon horn. I can pretty much guarantee that it is not a maintenance issue.

It's time for my two cents. At his young age he has shown that he can respect an instrument enough to not use it as a hammer or a samurai weapon. That said, don't pay $3500 for a new Bach Strad. Get him a nice used horn, any one of which others have suggested here already. If he continues to practice, improve and show interest in being a trumpet player, then in four years or so reward his hard work with a new professional instrument. That will give him something to look forward to and work toward, and by then he will have the experience to be able to try out different horns with some context as to what horn would suit him best.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Regarding a prejudice against "intermediate" horns, I have yet to see many players up through college who could outplay a good "beginner" or "intermediate" Yamaha or a Getzen Capri.
Another thing that parents do is have two instruments for the child - a student horn for every day school work, and a better instrument that stays at home for practice and school concerts.

kehaulani wrote:
Two horns? Broh, I was lucky enough to have one.

This is what I did for my son. Although the school trumpet was a older pro horn and the home/concert one was new.

Yeah, I see the "two horn" system often here in the Bay Area. A lot of parents have the means to do it. But I hear ya, Kehaulani, I had a King Cleveland I played through high school that was $90 to my parents' purchase. After high school, I wanted a Benge, my folks said: "Buy it yourself."
https://yourbrass.com/
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, somebody just put a 37 up in the marketplace for $1450 with a small ding in the bell.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a nice late ‘60s Olds Ambassador on eBay for $320. I have it as a back up horn for my used 2017 Strad. Even having the Strad I also enjoy playing the Ambassador, and truth be told, it feels less delicate and more trouble free than the Strad, as well as being lighter and smaller.

The Strad has great projection and sounds better, but if I didn’t have it, I could be perfectly happy playing the Ambassador as my only horn, and it sounds good as well.

There are a few good honest sellers on eBay who will accurately describe the condition and playability of the horn they’re selling, and also allow returns.
You could pick up something like an Ambassador or similar initially, and still be able to get a used Strad or Yamaha or any number of well regarded horns as well. So the Ambassador or similar could be your son’s primary horn or the one replacing his Amazon model,, or the back up he takes to school.

Dealers like Horntrader or Centex Brass and others are another option. They usually offer something like a 7 day return policy. They also have a selection of different horns and price ranges available, with descriptions of each one on their website, and will answer questions if you ask. Horntrader even demo plays many of his horns he sells on his site and on YouTube..

Last edited by Rhondo on Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
yourbrass wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Regarding a prejudice against "intermediate" horns, I have yet to see many players up through college who could outplay a good "beginner" or "intermediate" Yamaha or a Getzen Capri.
Another thing that parents do is have two instruments for the child - a student horn for every day school work, and a better instrument that stays at home for practice and school concerts.

kehaulani wrote:
Two horns? Broh, I was lucky enough to have one.

This is what I did for my son. Although the school trumpet was a older pro horn and the home/concert one was new.

Yeah, I see the "two horn" system often here in the Bay Area. A lot of parents have the means to do it. But I hear ya, Kehaulani, I had a King Cleveland I played through high school that was $90 to my parents' purchase. After high school, I wanted a Benge, my folks said: "Buy it yourself."

Sandy, who YourBrass works with, sold me the older pro horn my son used. Her shop was a place I loved to visit due to all the used instruments she has on display.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberty Lips wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
You say that the valves are sticking more frequently on his current horn. Most of the time that is a maintenance issue and not a horn mechanics issue...
It's a $100 Amazon horn. I can pretty much guarantee that it is not a maintenance issue.

It's time for my two cents. At his young age he has shown that he can respect an instrument enough to not use it as a hammer or a samurai weapon. That said, don't pay $3500 for a new Bach Strad. Get him a nice used horn, any one of which others have suggested here already. If he continues to practice, improve and show interest in being a trumpet player, then in four years or so reward his hard work with a new professional instrument. That will give him something to look forward to and work toward, and by then he will have the experience to be able to try out different horns with some context as to what horn would suit him best.

Best post of this whole thread.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A used pro is a good move. A new pro later if he continues to blossom.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“It's time for my two cents. At his young age he has shown that he can respect an instrument enough to not use it as a hammer or a samurai weapon. That said, don't pay $3500 for a new Bach Strad. Get him a nice used horn, any one of which others have suggested here already. If he continues to practice, improve and show interest in being a trumpet player, then in four years or so reward his hard work with a new professional instrument. That will give him something to look forward to and work toward, and by then he will have the experience to be able to try out different horns with some context as to what horn would suit him best.”

“Best post of this whole thread.”

Except at least to me motivation ought to be having fun and a sense of accomplishment enjoying playing, being able to do more and better, whether the horn is old or new, as long as it’s capable.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
“It's time for my two cents. At his young age he has shown that he can respect an instrument enough to not use it as a hammer or a samurai weapon. That said, don't pay $3500 for a new Bach Strad. Get him a nice used horn, any one of which others have suggested here already. If he continues to practice, improve and show interest in being a trumpet player, then in four years or so reward his hard work with a new professional instrument. That will give him something to look forward to and work toward, and by then he will have the experience to be able to try out different horns with some context as to what horn would suit him best.”

Except at least to me motivation ought to be having fun and a sense of accomplishment enjoying playing, being able to do more and better, whether the horn is old or new, as long as it’s capable.

Precisely.
https://yourbrass.com/
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkrz wrote:
Dayton wrote:
If your son is careful and motivated, and cost is not an issue, why not?

That's what I want to know! have seen one off comments, for example, that pro horns could be too heavy for kids, but lighter weight and/or free blowing horns may hinder proper development. I don't play so don't know if these are valid things to consider, or just relatively minor points and cost is the only real barrier for most.

Here's my $.02.
I would get him a new Yamaha Bobby Shew. It's a terrific horn, and it's lighter to hold than many.
Forget all that nonsense about it being a specialized horn. A good horn is a good horn is a good horn.
Ronald Romm played the first generation in the Canadian Brass. Would anyone tell him he should not be playing it in a brass quintet because it was designed for big band lead?
Oh, and what about a big band lead player playing a Bach 37? Anyone going to tell 'em they're playing the wrong horn?
A good horn is good horn is a good horn.

(I certainly would not get an inexperienced player a Bach trumpet unless an experienced player picked it out: too much variation in the quality control, and it's less likely an inexperienced player would know a good one from a bad one.)
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Rhondo wrote:

Precisely.

Last night I happened to watch a recent interview with Philip Smith, former Principal trumpet of the New York Philharmonic. During the interview he mentioned he still has and uses the same Bb trumpet he played throughout his career, a 50+ year old Bach Strad. Had it right beside him and held it up to the camera. Granted, he likely purchased it new, but also mentioned it had been renewed a few times.
benzo277

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from my own experience, when I was in middle school I was quite diligent in taking care of my instrument. I would wipe it down with a cloth after every class and take the valves out of the casing to oil them. Band was my only activity for the majority of the year during this time. Then when I went to high school my schedule became more chaotic. I became more involved in other activities outside of band and as such my instrument started to deteriorate. Now I was very into trumpets in middle school. I browsed the old TM forum quite a bit but even I slacked on my trumpet upkeep. Not to say your son would do the same but it is a very real possibility that as he goes into high school he will simply not have the time to give a professional instrument the time and care that it needs. I believe it would be best to get a high quality horn that can take a beating as some other people have suggested.
aquaries

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:00 am    Post subject: Student horn Reply with quote

My 2 cents, I agree with spitvalve and Rhonda. An Olds Ambassador from the 50s to 60s is a great value. Note that Rafael Mendez when his Olds Mendez was unavailable went to the local Olds store and picked an Ambassador to use that night in concert when he could have picked a Mendez. In those days Olds quality was same top to bottom. There are a lot of them for sale. Even pros keep one as a beater spare for events like parades, outdoor events when they don't want to expose the "jewelry" to a potential mishap. So even when he moves up to a "PRO" horn, he can keep the Olds as an economical spare.
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
As an aside, if you decide to buy a professional instrument for your kid, you might want to keep the nice horn at home and send them to school with their student model. The pro horn can be played at concerts, recitals, and lessons, but you don't have to worry about it getting lost or damaged in the day-to-day chaos of middle school band.

Absolutely. Keep the good horn away from the random classmates. He could turn away for just a second ... and don't underestimate the jealousy factor.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Chuck's Committee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get him a used Shilke B6. Mine took me from 10th grade through the USCG band and beyond. Schilkes are very pretty and light weight too. I play a Martin Committee nowadays.
1949 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 bore
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 bore
1953 Martin Committee Cornet #2 bore
Do something with every note you play. Sometimes the rests are more important than the notes
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:06 am    Post subject: Professional trumpet for 5th grader Reply with quote

Before you buy or try out any new trumpets, talk to your child's teacher and band director. They are good sources for used and can recommend a trumpet for your child. Are any particularly brand and model dominating the school band?
How long are your child's fingers? Is the weight and the length of the trumpet an issue? What mouthpiece does your child have?
Do agree with other posters, that a 1st slide ring is essential. Modern professional trumpets have a fixed 3rd slide ring. The repairman at the store could adjust the fixed ring to fit.
I have owed many student, intermediate and two professional trumpers. An intermediate trumpet is alright but professional trumpets are much better. The two professional trumpets , I have owed are the Getzen Renaissance (similar to 900 series ) and the Canadian Brass trumpet . Loved the Canadian brass trumpet.
Yes buy a professional trumpet. Used or new from a local music store. If possible take your child's trumpet instructor or band director.

King 603 student cornet
Tromba Shephards crook cornet.
Denis Wick 4 W classic gold short shank mouthpiece
Getzen 4 B short shank mouthpiece
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case no none has suggested it: you might want to talk to the kid about the whole thing, too He might have his own ideas, good ones among them.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Should I get a pro horn for a 5th grader? Reply with quote

It would be nice at this point if the OP let us know what the family decision is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: