• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen mouthpipe and receiver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jubilee Farmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Getzen mouthpipe and receiver Reply with quote

Never had a Getzen before but bought an Eterna serial P05587 this week for my daughter. The mouthpiece fits through the receiver down into the mouthpipe about 1/8" rather than have the normal 1/8" gap between mouthpiece and tube. Anyway, is this normal for Getzen? She says 4th space E and up is noticably harder to play.
(I'm not a forum savvy person, but I've tried to attach a link to the picture of the mouthpiece. You can see the markings for how far down the mouthpiece goes. )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14pqfy7hs3l2Uk4cii1Wff4LMIiT8FAFB/view?usp=drive_link
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most folks on this forum hate it when someone starts a reply with "I'm no expert, but..."

Nonetheless, I'm no expert, but I have an Eterna II trumpet and an Eterna cornet. Both appear to provide a normal 1/8th inch or so gap between the end of the mouthpiece and the ledge at the beginning of the leadpipe.

So it's not normal. Something is amiss with either the receiver or the mouthpiece.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the trumpet was made in the early 90's - it's possible the receiver has become worn.

Yes that would be unusual for a Getzen using a Bach mouthpiece to actually insert into the leadpipe.

What brand mouthpiece are you using?

Just want to be sure we are not talking about the insertion depth into the receiver being different than another trumpet but the actual gap between the end of the mouthpiece shank and the beginning of the leadpipe.

Scroll down to the "Paper Trick"
https://bobreeves.com/blog/tag/gap/

Does shimming the mouthpiece shank with a piece of paper make the trumpet play better?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you assume that the different insertion marks indicate that the gap is different (if that is indeed what you are doing), take a narrow stick (a disposable coffee stirrer will do) and slide it down the inside of the receiver until it hits the edge of the mouthpipe tube. Then mark the stick right where it emerges from the receiver.

Compare the insertion length of the stick to the distance between the end of the mouthpiece shank and the insertion mark on the shank made by the Getzen. If they are equal, then there is no gap and the mouthpiece inserts too far. On the other hand, if the insertion length of the stick is longer, then the differing position of the insertion mark on the mouthpiece shank simply means that the Getzen receiver is longer than usual, and there is in fact a gap.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Jubilee Farmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14pqfy7hs3l2Uk4cii1Wff4LMIiT8FAFB/view?usp=drive_link

Thanks all. I did measure the gap using a stick and found the mouthpiece shanks of the Getzen mouthpiece as well as all the other Bachs extends into the mouthpipe about an 8th inch. I didn't make it clear, but if you look at the very end of the shank in the picture you can see the markings showing where the mouthpipe is rubbing the mouthpiece indicating how far it extends into the mouthpipe. I've wrapped the mouthpiece with a little teflon to shim it out and I'll have her play it today to give me a her thoughts. (Im not a trumpet player.... top note is 4th line D. LOL). I'll dig around for a mouthpipe receiver to replace it if I need.

My next observation is the end of the mouthpipe is worn paper thin by the mouthpiece so that there is virtually no "ledge". Do we know what effect this might have?

By the way, I'm just a high school band director/trombone player who has dabbled in horn repair for locals for 30 years. I stumbled on this forum a few months ago and have found all of you incredibly helpful and fun to read as my daughter and I have been researching some of the horns available to us. The Getzen for $250 was too much to pass up so I got it expecting to have to do a little work on it. Other pics of horn below. 1994yr? - 900 series?? Love your thoughts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yYh9yxQSHbpDUcFsxxicELAES9AikrHx/view?usp=drive_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o5uAgWcTNTW_rPfsfBLJbI8P_ca4muME/view?usp=drive_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/155RVMlsVPcCqquKXDnfi2MNlzQHjjvY4/view?usp=drive_link
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jubilee Farmer wrote:
did measure the gap using a stick and found the mouthpiece shanks of the Getzen mouthpiece as well as all the other Bachs extends into the mouthpipe about an 8th inch. I didn't make it clear, but if you look at the very end of the shank in the picture you can see the markings showing where the mouthpipe is rubbing the mouthpiece indicating how far it extends into the mouthpipe.

Wow. I know this is what you said originally, but it seemed so bizarre that I thought maybe I was misunderstanding you.

I have never heard of a mouthpiece repeatedly jammed into a receiver so hard that it pushed into (or wore into) the mouthpipe. I wonder if the previous owner found that the mouthpiece was bottoming out (hitting the mouthpipe so that it was unable to fit snugly in the receiver), and decided to 'fix' things by using a keyhole file to file down the mouthpipe ledge.

Jubilee Farmer wrote:
My next observation is the end of the mouthpipe is worn paper thin by the mouthpiece so that there is virtually no "ledge". Do we know what effect this might have?

Unless the horn was designed not to have a mouthpipe ledge, I have to think that the lack of a ledge would have an unpredictable (but probably negative) impact on the horn's performance.

If it were my horn, I'd order a replacement mouthpipe and receiver from Getzen and have a tech install them. If your horn is silver plated, it would be easy to spot plate the solder joins once everything is in place.

(BTW, unlike your first image of the mouthpiece, the links to images of the horn at the bottom of your second post are secured and require permission to access. Could you set them like the first image so that we can see them without permission?)

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Jubilee Farmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(BTW, unlike your first image of the mouthpiece, the links to images of the horn at the bottom of your second post are secured and require permission to access. Could you set them like the first image so that we can see them without permission?)[/quote]

Thanks for letting me know. Trumpet pics permissions updated.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your description, it seems that the receiver itself, or both the receiver and the end of the mouthpipe have been altered to allow the mpc shank to insert so deeply. The typical amount of insertion with a trpt mpc is about 24-26 mm.

If wrapping the mpc shank to give less insertion doesn't solve the problem, then new mouthpipe & receiver ought to do it. Or maybe just a new receiver with the old mouthpipe (if the old mouthpipe hasn't been badly altered).

Out of personal curiosity. I wonder if the alteration was done to allow use of a French horn mpc? If you've 'got one in the drawer' see how it fits and whether it is playable. It could have been a marching band adaptation for a horn player.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience with a Getzen Severinsen and a Getzen Eterna cornet these instruments do not have a noticeable "ledge" to the mouthpipe but are nearly flush with the inside of the receiver. Some mouthpieces, like Schilke, will bottom out in my Severinsen, but other brands are usually OK.

From the photo it appears that this mouthpiece has been forced into the receiver which may indicate it is slightly too long and can be shortened to fit better. However, there me also be damage to the mouthpipe due to this forcing of the mouthpiece.

Kent
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:

Jubilee Farmer wrote:

Unless the horn was designed not to have a mouthpipe ledge, I have to think that the lack of a ledge would have an unpredictable (but probably negative) impact on the horn's performance.

oxleyk wrote:
In my experience with a Getzen Severinsen and a Getzen Eterna cornet these instruments do not have a noticeable "ledge" to the mouthpipe but are nearly flush with the inside of the receiver.

I explored my Getzens more closely and I agree with oxleyk. Neither my trumpet nor my cornet has a really noticeable ledge; there is just a very minor discontinuity felt when you run a feeler past the end of the mouthpipe. So the OP's observation of a "paper thin" mouthpipe opening is probably pretty nearly normal.

If you can shim your mouthpiece so that it only inserts about 25mm, I'd guess (non-expert) that it would play just fine.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an actual Bach mouthpiece? If not, check it with a different mouthpiece.
Jubilee Farmer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My curiosity got the best of me and I decided to remove the receiver. Low and behold I could see the receiver had been moved up and re-soldered. In the picture you can see the outline of the original placement of the brace just below the current placement. (Might explain why she has has been unusually sharp.) The receiver doesn't show any signs of wear. The mouthpipe, on the other hand, has quite a flare. See pics:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LVZ0qJprcWyvAxu8NsMxPhQidIoOzyls/view?usp=drive_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yoJugYyTiS9xQDCce0OgLM7JZ6Y2YvYW/view?usp=drive_link

I'm going to try to shrink the tube and put things back like they should be. If that doesn't work, I'll order a mouthpipe. If that doesn't work I'll make someone a good deal on a trumpet.

Thanks again for all your input. I've definitely got a heightened appreciation for the physics behind these creatures.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jubilee Farmer wrote:
The mouthpipe, on the other hand, has quite a flare. See pics:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LVZ0qJprcWyvAxu8NsMxPhQidIoOzyls/view?usp=drive_link

Again, wow. (I'm tempted to insert a Homer Simpson-style shriek here.)

I'm glad that you figured out the problem!

Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jubilee Farmer wrote:

The mouthpipe, on the other hand, has quite a flare.

If you have access to an old trombone mouthpiece, you might be able to to sort of swedge it back into shape by inserting the receiver into the trombone backbore. You will want to then measure the venturi . .445 would be a place to start.

Opinions differ,

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156524&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
... you might be able to to sort of swedge it back into shape by inserting the ...

--------------------
flared end of the mouthpipe perhaps into the open shank end of a t-bone or tuba mouthpiece.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Andy Cooper wrote:
... you might be able to to sort of swedge it back into shape by inserting the ...

--------------------
flared end of the mouthpipe perhaps into the open shank end of a t-bone or tuba mouthpiece.

MOUTHPIPE (leadpipe) Thanks - duhh - that's what I intended to say.
Jubilee Farmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trombone tuba mouthpiece idea was great. Thanks. Got it back together late last night. Verdict is still out on whether a success or not.

Unlike any of the other receivers that I've dealt with (not many - mostly Yamaha) this Getzen has a built in veturi of sorts that stops the leadpipe from going too deep into the receiver and sets the mouthpiece gap at what I measured with 4 mouthpieces to be 1/8". I thought this was very cool. Becoming a more of a Getzen fan everyday!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hTPfhr1k8LU-ZVYTbMDvkWCZhFb8-TOz/view?usp=drive_link
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jubilee Farmer wrote:

Unlike any of the other receivers that I've dealt with (not many - mostly Yamaha) this Getzen has a built in venturi of sorts that stops the leadpipe from going too deep into the receiver and sets the mouthpiece gap at what I measured with 4 mouthpieces to be 1/8". I thought this was very cool. Becoming a more of a Getzen fan everyday!

Welcome to the club. 😉
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jubilee Farmer wrote:
... this Getzen has a built in veturi of sorts that stops the leadpipe from going too deep into the receiver and sets the mouthpiece gap at what I measured with 4 mouthpieces to be 1/8". I thought this was very cool. ...

----------------------
Does your receiver seem to be constructed similar to these drawings?
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/receiver1.png
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/receiver2.png

How did you decide how deeply to place the receive over the end of the leadpipe?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure you check it with Bach mouthpiece that is not worn. Yamaha's , Schilke's, and some Curry's insert a bit deeper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: