• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Salivary Gland Infections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpet Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Salivary Gland Infections Reply with quote

Any trumpet players out there have problems with chronic salivary gland infections? I have suffered this over and over again, requiring antibiotics. It stems from back pressure from playing the trumpet. I've tried all sorts of solutions including hydration, swishing with lemonade after playing, lemon drops, sterilizing the mouthpiece every time, and even packing the side of my mouth with a tea bag after playing. Yet, this problem keeps cropping up. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.
Selmer Radial B-flat in lacquer
Selmer Radial B-Flat silver and gold
Couesnon convertible 1951
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is best discussed with a doctor.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
This is best discussed with a doctor.

Yep.

Also, as a general health consideration, I’m trying plant based valve oil.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not it's related to playing, it sounds like a general oral hygiene issue. And if air pressure from playing is causing the infections, it's the environment BEFORE you play that's important, not what you do after playing.
How often do you get your teeth professionally cleaned?
You should discuss all of this with a dentist.
Trumpet Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, I have discussed this with my dentist, my oral surgeon, and my doctor. Nobody has a solution. And I don't think it is an oral hygiene issue. I do professional dental cleaning twice a year, floss twice a day, brush at least twice a day, and I should have mentioned in my original post---I swish with salt water every time I play. Everybody has oral bacterial. Apparently it is the back pressure that forces bacteria into the salivary duct and gland. The most effective thing I have found so far is hydration. I drink about 50 ounces of water during my practice session and that seems to handle it most of the time---but not always. Who makes a plant-based valve oil, where can I get it, and why do you think that would make a difference?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar case was reported in 2011 for a young tuba player:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Healthday/story?id=6858895&page=1

The following and related articles may be of interest for discussion with your doctors:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214541917300172
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster Oil and I believe Berpbio oil are plant based.

I don’t know that it would help your situation but my theory as a non-expert is that anything that taxes your immune system can make it weaker. I’d guess inhaling petroleum based fumes would do that. May not have any effect on your problem at all though.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you're a trumpet player so you're probably assuming it's related but it may not be. Non-musicians get that too.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a physician, but just giving general advice. Chronic salivary gland infections/inflammation (sialadenitis) are typically caused by salivary gland stones or by medical conditions that cause oral dryness such as Sjögren’s. The problem in the suggested articles, pneumoparotid, is a pretty rare cause for this. A CT Scan can help to differentiate between the various etiologies. I doubt that a plant-based valve oil will have any impact. For chronic cases, an otolaryngologist can be consulted, and a biopsy is sometimes needed to clarify the diagnosis.

Best of luck with this.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Trumpet Seeker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Mike. This is very helpful. And you may have touched on an important point. I also suffer from ankylosing spondylitis/psoriatic arthritis. Could that be related?
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:45 am    Post subject: See a dr Reply with quote

Good day,

Please go to your family dr or if you are in severe pain visit an emergency room. TH is not the place to be seeking free medical advice, especially with conditions that may not be related to
the trumpet.
Trumpet Seeker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I offended you, Jabroni. I thought my problem was due to my trumpet playing. It had not occurred to me that it might be related to my underlying medical condition, but I'm happy to have learned that. I don't think I would have this problem if I did not play the trumpet. If you look back earlier in this thread, you'll see there's another fellow who appears to have a similar problem. Hopefully this discussion will help him too. In any case, just know that I am a professional trumpet player, holding down two trumpet jobs. I have three Getzen C's and a Bach Strad b-flat.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: See a dr Reply with quote

Trumpet Seeker wrote:
Thank you, Mike. This is very helpful. And you may have touched on an important point. I also suffer from ankylosing spondylitis/psoriatic arthritis. Could that be related?

I think that's a possibility, which you can talk to your regular doctors about.

Jabroni wrote:
TH is not the place to be seeking free medical advice

I agree that we should not seek or give specific medical advice in this forum. But within limits, I think it's okay to talk about shared experiences, especially if you think they are related to the trumpet. And in this case, I hope it was helpful to clarify the more common causes for chronic salivary gland infections.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played trumpet since the Reagan era and I've never even heard of a salivary gland infection, let alone experienced one (or had a chronic thing with it).

To be clear, I'm not saying that to disregard your issues or imply that it isn't one - not at all.

I also have no idea if it would be connected to trumpet playing. I don't know of any other trumpet players with that issue, and I've known a lot of players over the decades. This isn't definitive of anything, of course - you should seek out actual medical advice.

However, you asked for input on people with this issue and I guess I shared my lack of exposure to this issue - ie, from my experience, this is not a common thing at all. Probably not helpful, but it's all I've got.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, when is the last time you thoroughly cleaned your horn and mouthpiece?
Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Trumpet Seeker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sterilize the mouthpiece before every session and I clean my trumpets regularly. They are virtually spotless.
Trumpet Seeker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can end this discussion now. It has become clear to me that the problem is not with my trumpet or my trumpet playing technique. The problem is me and my underlying medical condition. It was my oral surgeon who led me astray when I first suffered one of these salivary infections about ten years ago. My dentist sent me to him. The oral surgeon said, "Oh, you play the trumpet!" and went on to say this phenomenon is common among wind instrument players. Well, from this thread, it is obvious that it is NOT common. It took a doctor who is also a trumpet player to put two and two together and now I am at last on the right path. I can now take this understanding back to my medical professionals and see what can be done. I thank you all very much. I am truly grateful. By the way, I suspect every person on earth has an underlying medical condition of some sort, whether they know it or not.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet Seeker wrote:
I think we can end this discussion now. It has become clear to me that the problem is not with my trumpet or my trumpet playing technique. The problem is me and my underlying medical condition. It was my oral surgeon who led me astray when I first suffered one of these salivary infections about ten years ago. My dentist sent me to him. The oral surgeon said, "Oh, you play the trumpet!" and went on to say this phenomenon is common among wind instrument players. Well, from this thread, it is obvious that it is NOT common. It took a doctor who is also a trumpet player to put two and two together and now I am at last on the right path. I can now take this understanding back to my medical professionals and see what can be done. I thank you all very much. I am truly grateful. By the way, I suspect every person on earth has an underlying medical condition of some sort, whether they know it or not.

^^ Very well said. Personally, I think this thread is exemplary in the care and concern shown by just about everyone who posted. Those with excepetional understanding, knowledge and care have been particularly impressive. I wish all of the threads at TH were this beneficial. Kudos to all involved, and a sincere hope that things improve greatly for TrumpetSeeker.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: