• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Carol Brass and Schagerl "Euro" bells

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryspencermusic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 am    Post subject: Carol Brass and Schagerl "Euro" bells Reply with quote

My go-to Bb is the Carol Brass Alexis Baro 5280-GLT with the Blackhawk finish and 'Euro' up tilted bell. It plays wonderfully in all of my playing situations. I'm often asked about the unusual bell shape. Usually it's "who sat on your horn" or "you could get that fixed". I think it looks unique and pretty cool, but am wondering if there is any acoustical reasons for the design. Any info would be appreciated!

Larry Spencer, Dallas, TX
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the wavy well was originally created to improve the ergonomics of rotary valve trumpets. For piston instruments, I'm guessing it was by request. Acoustically, I like the extra feedback the "Euro bell" affords me. Also advantageous for those with an overbite to get the bell up to a more "normal" alignment. Additionally, CarolBrass instruments are on the lighter side, and the extra hardware needed for the "Euro bell" adds beneficial weight.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this was the current reasoning but the first upturned bell that was popular in America was because Dizzy's bell was that way. He said it helped him hear his horn better.

BTW, this was by coincidence, not resulting from any R&D. Someone knocked Diz' horn onto the floor, bending the bell.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: