• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 37 vs. Bach 37G

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 am    Post subject: Bach 37 vs. Bach 37G Reply with quote

Hi All, I was curious for folks who have tried out playing a Bach Strad 37 with the standard yellow brass bell vs. the Bach 37G with gold brass bell setup. Did they feel/sound significantly different? Did you find either setup worked better for certain playing situations? I'm interested if the stereotypes (yellow brighter, gold warmer sound) about yellow vs. gold brass have proven true for those of you who have tried both.

https://www.youtube.com/@trumpet_madness
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious about this too.

I have a G bell converted to reversed leadpipe. My understanding is the G bell comes stock with standard configuration, and reversed leadpipe Strads with a lighter body, so normally if you have a reversed leadpipe, apparently it’s a yellow bell.
bebiperez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not specifically a Bach 37G, years ago I owned a Yamaha 8335RG with gold brass bell. I was able to compare it to the newer second gen model, the 8335RS with yellow brass bell. I preferred the newer model yellow brass bell over the gold brass. I felt it had a vibrant and more exciting sound, although not necessarily brighter.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t comment on the 37 bell but on the 43, hope that’s OK The orchestra I play in has two trumpet geeks, me on first and another guy on second. He plays (among others) a regular 43 while I have my 43GH. Both are 180 ML, but I’m not sure about the year of his horn.

His sound is considerably brighter (part of this is due to him using a shallow Marcinkiewicz (model?) piece) but mine really is darker and warmer but also slightly more focused. I prefer mine but the regular 43 is a great horn, too.

While I have used mine for about 20 years for big band and medium sized pop/soul bands, it works well in the orchestra (though I do prefer my rotary now). My buddy’s regular 43 does stick out more (again partly due to his playing style and setup).

I should add that both are set up with a regular, non reversed leadpipe. His is a 25, mine is a 43.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Smith-Watkins study found that professional trombone players could not distinguish between bell materials in a blindfolded test, but when not blindfolded, all of them preferred the copper bell.

If you're comparing 2 different instruments, you are more likely to detect the differences in leadpipe venturi, mouthpiece gap, valve/slide tolerances, and even how clean the inside of the instrument is compared to the bell material.

https://smithwatkins.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/670cdef32c57e80e189bddaa749d1479-IOA-1986.pdf
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never with a Bach, but I experimented with comparing copper with brass bells for many years and have generally found that higher copper content in the bell produces warmer overtones, especially on a flugelhorn or cornet. It's not immediately obvious, but in a controlled environment you can hear a definite "ring" produced by a yellow brass bell that is absent with the copper bell.

You may never hear the differences between brass and copper on a trumpet, but there is a discernable difference in the way the two horns blow. You might call the copper belled trumpet a bit more resistant.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:
Never with a Bach, but I experimented with comparing copper with brass bells for many years and have generally found that higher copper content in the bell produces warmer overtones, especially on a flugelhorn or cornet. It's not immediately obvious, but in a controlled environment you can hear a definite "ring" produced by a yellow brass bell that is absent with the copper bell.

You may never hear the differences between brass and copper on a trumpet, but there is a discernable difference in the way the two horns blow. You might call the copper belled trumpet a bit more resistant.

I tend to agree with Bill on this since if I remember correctly he was the first to have a wild thing trumpet with a copper bell. After that Flip started making that an option on his horns. Too bad they are no longer available.

As for me, I am pretty sure my Bach Commercial has a bronze bell but the silver plate does brighten it up some.
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper - Raw
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I generally tend to agree with Goby that materials have less of an impact than instrument geometry (or players!), I won’t completely rule out materials effects, see my post above. It is, however, highly likely that the differences between the 43 and the 43GH described above are a combination between different leadpipe, different player, and different material (thickness) - for some reason, we have never swapped instruments to test the other horn (atypical trumpet players we seem to be ).

I did have the chance to playtest a 37 with a sterling bell and there is most definitely a difference between a regular 37 of the same setup and a sterling one. This thing could bury everything in front of you no problem - absolutely impressive volume and projection - but it felt very tight. Brutal horn and night and day compared to a run of the mill 37. There, material clearly had an impact.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Miketpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold brass bell horns tend to sound warmer up close to the player but don’t project as well as regular yellow brass bells. Scott Laskey always said to stay away from them for orchestral use.

Mike
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't I read somewhere that Schilke claims that their Beryllium bells (actually a lightweight copper bell in its current form) projects better than a similar bell in yellow brass?
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was playing in the Philharmonic I might be concerned a gold bell Strad doesn’t project well enough.

A gold bell Strad 37 projects plenty.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is much more to music than strictly timbre of the instrument. Articulation, phrasing, relative intonation, and stylistic choices are all much more important to an ensemble than if your horn has a gold brass or yellow brass bell.
JSco
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments everyone! Appreciate the different perspectives.

https://www.youtube.com/@trumpet_madness
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miketpt wrote:
Gold brass bell horns tend to sound warmer up close to the player but don’t project as well as regular yellow brass bells. Scott Laskey always said to stay away from them for orchestral use.

Mike

I fully agree with Scott Laskey. Goldbrass bell horns are just nice in the practise room
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bach37G that I purchased at ITG in 2018. It is a beautifull horn, it projects fine. It has a really nice sound at lower volumes that maybe can be warmer than a regular 37, but the difference is not huge. Bachs are funny creatures, they all play so differently from one another but what I liked about this horn compared to the others at ITG was how even and smooth it felt from note to note. You can hear me playing it here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y96dJplwaFA&ab_channel=GianniMarinucci
Always play Bachs before you buy them if you can! Good luck
AdamsF2
Bach 38 Cornet
Bach 2C
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmaxe wrote:
I have a bach37G that I purchased at ITG in 2018. It is a beautifull horn, it projects fine. It has a really nice sound at lower volumes that maybe can be warmer than a regular 37, but the difference is not huge. Bachs are funny creatures, they all play so differently from one another but what I liked about this horn compared to the others at ITG was how even and smooth it felt from note to note. You can hear me playing it here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y96dJplwaFA&ab_channel=GianniMarinucci
Always play Bachs before you buy them if you can! Good luck

Yeah, hard to imagine Bach would mak a Strad meant for practice only.
Miketpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
Miketpt wrote:

Mike

I fully agree with Scott Laskey. Goldbrass bell horns are just nice in the practise room

That's not what he said and not what I was inferring either.

Nice try,

Mike
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miketpt wrote:
Miketpt wrote:

Genuine question: "don't project as well/stay away from them for orchestral use" sounds very much like "great for the practice room (small spaces), not great for a (large) hall," but then you disagree with Manuel. So what do you mean exactly?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:

... "don't project as well/stay away from them for orchestral use" sounds very much like ...

-------------------------------------
Two separate claims / suggestions -
1) don't project as well - that is from Miketrpt
2) stay away ... for orchestral use - that is attributed to Laskey by Mike

If someone wants to 'extrapolate' further meaning from them, that is their prerogative - but it is not a 'logical construct' , basically just personal opinion.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Miketpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Miketpt wrote:
Miketpt wrote:

Genuine question: "don't project as well/stay away from them for orchestral use" sounds very much like "great for the practice room (small spaces), not great for a (large) hall," but then you disagree with Manuel. So what do you mean exactly?

All things being equal (other variable the same) yellow brass bells project better and with less effort than gold brass bells. So for the application for playing in a large orchestra, it's a better choice. The same could be said for playing with a loud pipe organ, which I know many did yesterday. I've experiienced this with both Bach and Yamaha Bb and C trumpets. What sounds better up close doesn't necessarily sound the best at the back of the hall. There are obviously excellent gold brass bell trumpets out there and I'm sure there is the occasional exception as far as projection goes. When Scott gave me this advice I was in college and starting my career path of playing in a full time orchestra. He used to say "if you want a dark sound, play the flugelhorn"

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: