• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

LeBlanc 707 Sonic differences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sledgemuffin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: LeBlanc 707 Sonic differences Reply with quote

I purchased a 707 sonic some time back and fell in love with it and wanted another one as a backup horn. found a beautiful one on Ebay with the copper medallion, a so called "Special" so I bought it. Once I received it I gave it once over and found out that there was a small "ML" on the receiver and sure enough it was a bit larger (.458 vs .453) than my previous 707. I wondered if the there was a difference in the leadpipe so I took the tuning slide from my first one to try it in the new one and noticed that the wrap was different as the "special" one has a larger wrap as well as the tuning slide is more rounded that my original. the horn does play a bit different and has a bit more mellow tone to it. Also the receiver is stamped with a very small letter "E" which I'm sure there is some significance as well. I have a lot of questions as to the specs of this horn but there is not much information online or in the archives at least that I can find. any info is appreciated
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sledgemuffin - below is what I had copied from a source some time ago. I do not recall the source from which I copied this info.
Ron

Leblanc Trumpet Model Descriptions

Bb Trumpets
Inherent in every Leblanc trumpet is superb tonality and tone projection, better intonation and response, greater timbre and ease of playing. Every Leblanc trumpet has a one piece hand fashioned, precisely sized bell. This provides a more clearly defined sound and even vibration without acoustical stress. .The valve section is made of hand drawn brass tubing. The piston is machined and then painstakingly hand lapped into the valve casing for final fit. These operations give a minimum of friction, provide air tightness and rapid, dependable valve action. Precision made slides are hand lapped for final fit utilizing the principle of hard nickel inner slides operating against softer brass outers. This insures maximum life and smooth, uniform operation of the slide. Binding and sticking are non-existant.
All Leblanc trumpets provide the artist with "central balance.“. This means that the weight of the instrument can be comfortably controlled with the left hand alone, allowing the right to concentrate on valve fingering.

MODEL 707 "Sonic"
The trumpet sensation that has captured the fancy of many of the world's true artisis. Light as a dream, every minute detail of this unique creation refects precision and pride. The "707” possesses flawless intonation and with rich timbre. Features include balanced pistons, hand lapped valves - single slot type with wide spacing between ports, one piece bell construction, flanged first slide brace, flanged bell mouthpiece braces, adjustable third valve slide and third slide finger ring, and special first slide tuning trigger on all models. .453” bore.

MODEL 708 "Sonic"
The "Sonic" Model 708 is an artist grade trumpet identical to the 707 except the bore size is medium large .460” bore.

MODEL 707A "Al Hirt"
The Al Hirt large bore model is everything you’d expect from a trumpet tailored to the needs of such a brilliant performer. Naturally, the "707A" features a "big” sound, but is also capable of everything an artist demands of it. Features are: carefully balanced pistons, hand lapped valves which are finished to minute tolerances, valve casings of single wall construction, one piece bell tapered by a special process which holds the closest tolerances, precision fit slides and rocket wire springs among other high quality standards set by Leblanc. .468” bore.

MODEL 700 "Special"
The main feature of this medium large bore trumpet is its light weight. No compromise has been made in the manufacture of this instrument. The “700," is a thoroughly artist trumpet with all the advanced featuces found in all Leblanc (Paris) trumpets. A surprising combination of modest price and professional caliber. .460” bore.

MODEL 727 "Herriot'
The "Bobby Herriot" large bure trumpat was designed by its namesake and represents a unique concept of design in trumpets. For proper projection, many players ordinarlly tilt their heads back. The "Herriot* model allows proper projection without this unnatural strain. Maximum projection of the trumpet section is achieved through use of the 727 in marching bands. The Herriot model is the most acoustically correct uptilted trumpet on the market because of the one piece bell construction which contains no extra bends, .463” bore.

MODEL 770 "Gozzo”
This medium large bare trumpet was designed for and used by the late Conrad Gozzo, an outstanding name in trumpet music. The performance abilities of this trumpet are characteristic of all fine Leblanc trumpets. Special features of the "Gozzo" model is its light weight and automatic 3rd slide trigger mechanism which returns itself to position after a simple pull sends it into action. This trumpet also features an extremely free high register with excellent intonation. .460” bore.

MODEL 797 Piccolo Trumpet
An instrument with a true piccolo trumpet sound hand-crafted by the greatest instrument makers in the wald. Made from the finest brass, the 797 has valves of nickel-plated monel. Pitched in Bb, it plays one octave above the standard Bb soprano trumpet. This piccolo trumpet is suitable for some of the Bach concerti and other well known masters such as Berlioz, who have orchestrated compositions far these instruments. 3 valve, .410” bore.

MODEL 798 Piccolo Trumpet
Same as Model 797 except 4 valve, .412” bore.
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
sledgemuffin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. I guess all LeBlanc trumpets marked 707 Sonic could be any one of a number of variations, although I would think a Sonic 708 would be indicated a such on the receiver and not marked as a Sonic 707. Kind of reminds me of my younger sandlot football days when the play called was "same thing only different".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: