• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet/Cornet Hook

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Trumpet/Cornet Hook Reply with quote

I almost always use a hook attached to the column of my music stand, rather than a trumpet stand sitting on the floor, to hold a cornet (sometimes, trumpet) whether I'm standing or sitting.

When I got away from DIY/hardware-store creations, I got a manufactured one from K&M ...
https://tinyurl.com/yckpbk7e

It's convenient and it's OK except that it doesn't hold the bell rim quite far enough from the stand unless the horn is hung backwards from what is natural for me.

A few weeks ago I saw a picture of a stand-mounted, double hook that was marketed as a mandolin holder, so I got one. Perfect for me and less cost than the K&M
https://tinyurl.com/26x5k8dp

—Denny
Mike Lockman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never use this hook!
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Lockman wrote:
I would never use this hook!

¿¿¿ Why not ???

—Denny
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely remember a post about Monette recommending a hook due to bell stands not supplying enough support and the bells bending over time.

The post was probably a decade or more ago.

Edit: This thread has another post about my remembering a post about Monette and bell stands.

In the thread it is mentioned that the original thread discussing bell vs crook stands and Monette trumpets was pulled. Also James Becker confirms the softness of the bell on Monettes.

All this is a little off topic. I’m sorry.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I vaguely remember a post about Monette recommending a hook due to bell stands not supplying enough support and the bells bending over time.

The post was probably a decade or more ago.

Edit: This thread has another post about my remembering a post about Monette and bell stands.

In the thread it is mentioned that the original thread discussing bell vs crook stands and Monette trumpets was pulled. Also James Becker confirms the softness of the bell on Monettes.

All this is a little off topic. I’m sorry.

Yeah - Dave recommended hooks and I much prefer the mando/uke/violin hook to the K&M.

—Denny
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My browser blocked the link to the picture in the first post of the mandolin hook.?
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
My browser blocked the link to the picture in the first post of the mandolin hook.?

I had turned the long link into a Tiny URL — which your browser didn't like

Gator Frameworks GFW-MICUKE-HNGR Uke/Mando Hanger Attachment with Clamp for Mic Stand ◄ Sweetwater

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GFWMICUKEHNGR--gator-frameworks-gfw-micuke-hngr-uke-mando-hanger-attachment-with-clamp-for-mic-stand

—Denny
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
Thank you!

You're welcome.

I first saw one of these a few months ago as I was skimming Craigslist. The ad was for a Peak music stand and the picture also showed the hook. I bought the stand and got the hook.

It is a different brand than the one in the Sweetwater link, but when I searched for the brand that I bought, this one come up. You might find the same product under different brand names.

It is very solid on the stand.

I used it at a reh' last nite with a shepherd crook cornet and - because of this thread - was aware of how secure it seems and how easy and natural it is to use.

One thing that I used the K&M hook for before getting this one was to hang a muted horn. Sometimes there ae mute changes that are more quickly and safely facilitated by switching horns, and a hook does the trick.

I thought that players would already know about the K&M hook, so I started the thread because I found the uke/mando/violin hook to be much better.

—Denny
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet/Cornet Hook Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
I almost always use a hook attached to the column of my music stand, rather than a trumpet stand sitting on the floor, to hold a cornet (sometimes, trumpet) whether I'm standing or sitting.

When I got away from DIY/hardware-store creations, I got a manufactured one from K&M ...
https://tinyurl.com/yckpbk7e

It's convenient and it's OK except that it doesn't hold the bell rim quite far enough from the stand unless the horn is hung backwards from what is natural for me.

A few weeks ago I saw a picture of a stand-mounted, double hook that was marketed as a mandolin holder, so I got one. Perfect for me and less cost than the K&M
https://tinyurl.com/26x5k8dp

—Denny

Hi

My concern would be if the screw holding the trumpet holder was to come loose at all. This may not be a concern when the trumpet holder is new, but if wear occurs on the screw threads and what the screw threads into, the holder could develop a tendency to not stay as tight, with the risk of it coming unscrewed and the trumpet/cornet falling to the floor. I personally would never risk it.

Take care and best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please allow some humor.

Quote:
My concern would be if the screw holding the trumpet holder was to come loose at all. This may not be a concern when the trumpet holder is new, but if wear occurs on the screw threads and what the screw threads into, the holder could develop a tendency to not stay as tight, with the risk of it coming unscrewed and the trumpet/cornet falling to the floor. I personally would never risk it.

What if one were to use a standard horn stand on the floor and there were an earthquake? I would never risk it.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: