• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet/Trumpet/Flugel gig bag

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Trumpet/Trumpet/Flugel gig bag Reply with quote

Hey all,

I play in a professional Trumpet Ensemble, and we work. A lot (can you believe it? It's true...)

As a result, I usually need to take a Bb trumpet, C trumpet, and flugelhorn. Occasionally, I need my piccolo too...rarely more than that. I'm trying to figure out an elegant case solution.

Typically, I use either my black leather Yamaha double case, or my Gard elite double, with a taco that turns it into a 2.5, depending on what I need. I refuse to just bring everything, elsewhere, because nobody actually needs to do that, and the guys that do do it more for show than anything (I said what I said).

ANYWAY...trying to figure out something for 2 trumpets and a flugel. The only flugel case I have is the Yamaha hard shell that it came in.

I'm thinking something like a Cronkhite Super Triple, but not sure I want to drop almost $700 on a gig back. What's out there that is 1) Quality, 2) Classy (not gaudy, PLEASE), and affordable (don't think I want to spend more than $400).
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
TJTS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Messina Covers and give your exact requirements. They can build what you want with the highest quality materials.

I use their triple daily and it is amazing.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I use a Gard triple (with tacos), and it comfortably can carry any of those configurations.

I agree that the time I stuck 5 horns in there is a bit of a gimmick but hey it was fun (and can be done)!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit.

Last edited by dstpt on Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the Protec triple cases yet? They’re effectively hard-shelled gig bags, very durable and surprisingly affordable.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://de.fusion-bags.com/collections/premium/products/pb-triple-trumpet-gig-bag

https://de.fusion-bags.com/collections/urban/products/urban-triple-trumpet-gig-bag
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For theater shows I usually take 2 Bb's (medium bore lead/commercial horn and my classical Bb) and a flugelhorn. I was tired of having a minimum of 2 cases to bring so like you I was looking for something that could handle a flugel and two full-size horns without breaking the bank. The only solution I was able to find isn't the most elegant design-wise but it gets the job done. It's the Protec quad case (model IP301QWL). It's larger than my MB quad case I use for multiple-horn classical gigs so you can fit 2 Bb's in the front and a flugel in the back. Comes with plenty of velcro padding blocks to secure all three. It's fairly heavy but has wheels so I just use those and sling my extra mute/gear bag over the luggage handle.

The only caveat I'd add is that all my playing is all local and I never have to fly with my case. The Protec quad is too big to be a carry-on and I wouldn't trust it to protect the horns as a checked luggage piece.

Most of the big music stores have it for less than $250.
TJTS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taco inserts, making a case do something it wasn’t intended for, all sorts of crazy things when you can just call Messina Covers and get a bag purposely designed for what you want to carry and pretty close to your price point.

Gard makes nice cases, definitely a step above protec, but nothing compared to Messina, Wiseman, Torpedo, etc. (I have owned and used them all)
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messina triple!
I use mine for various needs.. easily Flugel & 2 trumpets. but often for me It's my day-to-day bag for lessons - one or two trumpets, texts, note book, iPad, trumpet stands, mutes, Dr. Beat, etc. All comfortably in one bag.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gard 9-msk. Very affordable and will hold a flugel and two full sized trumpets. Under $200 from most supp!iers; leather version is a little more.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
NYCTPT78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkarnes0661 wrote:
For theater shows I usually take 2 Bb's (medium bore lead/commercial horn and my classical Bb) and a flugelhorn. I was tired of having a minimum of 2 cases to bring so like you I was looking for something that could handle a flugel and two full-size horns without breaking the bank. The only solution I was able to find isn't the most elegant design-wise but it gets the job done. It's the Protec quad case (model IP301QWL). It's larger than my MB quad case I use for multiple-horn classical gigs so you can fit 2 Bb's in the front and a flugel in the back. Comes with plenty of velcro padding blocks to secure all three. It's fairly heavy but has wheels so I just use those and sling my extra mute/gear bag over the luggage handle.

The only caveat I'd add is that all my playing is all local and I never have to fly with my case. The Protec quad is too big to be a carry-on and I wouldn't trust it to protect the horns as a checked luggage piece.

Most of the big music stores have it for less than $250.

Not to hijack the thread but I put 2 full size horns and flugel in my MB quad no problem. I guess it could be an issue if your flugel has a big bell? It fits on an angle for me.

The gard cases are nice, I use a triple, but it really feels like a 2.5 once one of the horns is a flugel. I can't see jamming all kinds of nice instruments in but to each his own.

Ryan

Ryan
Thane #165, 72 style bronze bell
Schilke b6lb, b7lb, b4lb
Bach 180-37 Blackburn 20 pipe
Couesnon Monopole Flugelhorn
Bach Chicago C
Schilke E3L
Schilke P7-4
Scherzer 8111st
Monette/Reeves mouthpieces
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCTPT78, that is good point and I should have given more detail there. I have an old Getzen Eterna 3-valve flugel, the bell and bell wrap is fairly large so that may be why I can't fit 2 Bb's and my flugel in my MB case. My MB quad is also the lower profile quad, not the one that has room for the laptop or the one that stacks the horns at the back, I could see it working with the other MB cases or with a smaller bell flugel.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cronkhite Super Triple fits my Van Laar flugel (upside down in the center pouch) and my Bach Bb and C trumpets. I can put mutes on top of the trumpets, protected by a cloth. Those bags start at $475. They are well made bags and reasonably protective against bumps.

For $305 you can get a Gard Compact Elite Triple plus a taco insert, which you'll need to fit a Bb, C, and flugelhorn. The Gard Elite bags are not as protective as a hard case, but are more protective than a regular bag like the Cronkhite. Depending on what you bring with you to your gigs, you might also need a mute bag or backpack as there won't be room for mutes in the Gard Elite Triple once you have those three horns in it.
trptdave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Trumpet/Trumpet/Flugel gig bag Reply with quote

Marcus Bonna makes two new style cases for this

1. Holds flugel, and 2 trumpets,

2. Holds Flugel, 2 trumpets and a pic

You do end up "stacking them" but the case is made specifically to hold these instruments with designed inserts.
I have the one that holds flugel and two trumpets, and I much prefer that over a quad you have to configure with pads, etc.

It is worth going to the web site and at least looking. Expensive, but
Schilke S32HDgbL
Schilke S42
Melk Eb Conversion
Schilke XA1
Schilke P5-4
Schilke 1041L
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkarnes0661 wrote:
NYCTPT78, that is good point and I should have given more detail there. I have an old Getzen Eterna 3-valve flugel, the bell and bell wrap is fairly large so that may be why I can't fit 2 Bb's and my flugel in my MB case. My MB quad is also the lower profile quad, not the one that has room for the laptop or the one that stacks the horns at the back, I could see it working with the other MB cases or with a smaller bell flugel.

My old Getzen Eterna flugel fits quite nicely in the Gard 9-MSK. The flugel has to go in upside down but the suspension pads keep the valves from compressing. It has a zippered pouch on one side and an open pouch on the other for carrying tablets, thin laptops, music, and/or accessories. when I first bought it I thought it was a bit snug for two full-sized trumpets with the flugel and viewed it more as a 2.5, which is the configuration I use most often, but over time it's stretched a little and it's easier to fit two full-sized trumpets. In place of the second trumpet on top it will hold my Getzen Capri cornet with room for a quad mouthpiece pouch. Cornets with taller valve blocks might not fit as well.

I gave it a 3-star review five years ago but I'm wishing I could add another star at this point because I've grown to like it a lot. I think the Gard Elite bags and wheelie bags are more popular, but also more expensive.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ProTec triple gig back for sale with the mute bag attachment. I just wanted something with backpack straps on it. I've carried two full size trumpets and a Bobby Shew flugel. It's in great shape with just two small spots where something clear got on it and dried. Asking price is $100. PM me if you want to see pictures.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: