• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

vavle confussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lottoblaste

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: vavle confussion Reply with quote

iam lost.went to yard sales today i found big box trumpetstuff.lots slides and and misc parts ,the box had almost complete trmpets.olds amabassador
i figure price was nothing i buy it twenty bucks. inside was thiry slides andalot of stuff,.insde 8 old dennted trumets of different model two olds in almost playabble shape
.i am trying to get olds trumet together trying differen parts here is my probelem i have alot vavlles in box how can i tell which goes where and whatorder
wasted all day trying the right in right order. is their a system or measurement to telol 3vale from 1 no markings on 90%.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each valve should have a number. Look closely.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a piston number on the piston "barrel" - the part with the spring. Center to the right of a slot. My Olds pistons also have a serial number if they match up with on of your trumpets.

Remember Olds pistons have the spring on the outside of the piston barrel. If your pistons have the spring on the inside - they are not for Olds trumpets.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically on a trumpet, the air flow first goes into the third valve, then into the second, and finally into the first.
Have the bottom valve caps removed so you can put a finger up into the casing to feel air flow, and also have the valve slides removed so you can see down into the casing.

Start with the third valve so that with the 3rd UP the air goes directly into the 2nd casing. With 3rd DOWN the air should flow into the 3rd slide, and then with the 3rd slide installed the air should go into the 2nd casing.

Also looks at the valve guides and determine whether they look appropriate for the mating surface inside the casings.

It might be that your 'box of parts' doesn't have anything that really fits with any of the other pieces.
If I had such miscellaneous parts, I'd at least keep the 'goes together' parts in separate bags.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: