• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to increase endurance

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWG wrote:
Endurance really comes down to one thing: Muscle fiber strength in both fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscle fibers.

Some people on this forum will chastise you for doing strength building exercises criticizing that you do not play like you buzz, etc. However, that's not the point. Athletes of every sport hit the weight room to improve their performance in their sport, even if their sport involves no weights.

Muscular strength and muscular endurance training are two very different kinds of training. You can achieve muscular strength and endurance training from just the trumpet alone. For example, a "strength session" could be loud/high intervals of 10 seconds on, 2-3 minutes off, etc. That will improve muscular strength. An endurance session (or zone II) would be longer minutes of easy/medium playing. Yes, muscular strength does increase the capacity for muscular endurance, but only to a point (the point is reasonable demands of trumpet playing).

The "chastise" is not from the acts themselves (do whatever you want). You mention "Athletes of every sport hit the weight room." You are 100% correct, but that is because you cannot effectively and progressively load the muscles involved in (insert sport) without weights. That does not hold true for the trumpet. So, you CAN load the entire embouchure and it is MOST effective while playing the trumpet. Most other things for the purposes of strength and endurance, are somewhat of a gimmick. The other part of the chatise is that something like PETE, on the pulling/resisting part of it, you do not know with how much force you are pulling. Imagine going into the weight room and stacking 500 pounds on the bar and getting under it only to do some damage. That's what some people do with the PETE as you don't know whether you are pulling 500 or 50.

p.f.c. wrote:
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am wondering, what does one do to play with efficiency?

There are two phases for trumpeters: (1) efficiency in production, and (2) economy (efficiency) of trumpet playing. First, you learn to produce a single note efficiently (lowest muscular effort required for best/desired product and best conversion of air to sound/vibration); second you learn how to do it in the most coordinated way through all the demands of trumpet playing. Once you've learned exactly how you want to play, it is about making sure that you do that all the time without wasted effort or movement. Similar to learning to do a handstand, and then walking effortlessly on your hands.

rhatheway wrote:
Is there a recommended shorter length to break them into? Since I practice in the evenings after work, I don't have a huge amount of time, so want to be sure and maximize that to the fullest extent.

Whatever works for you. 3 sessions of 20 minutes each with 10 minutes in between. 2 session of 30 minutes with 20 in between. Find what works for you. But do not "run out of steam" let the chops feel "fatigued" (caveat is that you can enter a controlled fatigue state on your last session).
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My warm up usually consists of some scales to get the blood flowing, a few arpeggios for some flexibility, a few octave exercises, then Caruso 6 notes, and then into the music. At the end, I warm down (probably not long enouigh, which may be another question) by usually doing low intervals.

Practice time may be a consideration, and knowing the music you'll be performing is essential, but if you are not spending practice time on fundamentals you are limiting your development, or at least the speed of your development.

Even if you can only make time for five minutes of fundamentals, and even if you only work from the Arban book, you can still make meaningful gains. You could do single and k tonguing one day, double tonguing the next day, triple tonguing the day after that, then intervals, then chords, then slurs... Just food for thought.

Edited to add:

Quote:
At the end, I warm down (probably not long enouigh, which may be another question) by usually doing low intervals.

A warm down shouldn't take long. It's just an opportunity to reset your chops for tomorrow. If you feel the need to warm down for anything longer than, let's say 2 minutes after a PRACTICE session it might be an indication that you are pushing yourself too hard. You don't (fully) control rehearsals, but you do control your practice.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Co-sign on multiple sessions per day and stopping at early sign of fatigue. Rest long enough such that when you go back it feels fresh, clear, and strong.

Even if you can get in only 10-15 minutes in the morning or at lunch before your evening session, that’s something that from my experience would be hugely beneficial.

Also, in my limited time here I’ve found Dayton and abontrumpet to be especially helpful and reliable sources for information and advice… There are many others here of course.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
Co-sign on multiple sessions per day and stopping at early sign of fatigue. Rest long enough such that when you go back it feels fresh, clear, and strong.

Even if you can get in only 10-15 minutes in the morning or at lunch before your evening session, that’s something that from my experience would be hugely beneficial.

Also, in my limited time here I’ve found Dayton and abontrumpet to be especially helpful and reliable sources for information and advice… There are many others here of course.

Rhondo, that makes sense to me so I'll have to see if I can maybe start incorporating a few smaller practice times throughout the day instead of a longer time in the evening after work.

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: