• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead too tight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmc129ny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject: Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead too tight Reply with quote

The header says it all honestly. I switched to a Bobby shew lead for my lead playing at the start of this calendar year and while it has made the upper register a lot easier sometimes I feel like it’s too tight blowing. The cup depth doesn’t really bother me and I feel I can get a solid tone with it in my 2X but I was wondering if there are any suggestions for a similar lead mouthpiece that blows a little freer. I know I’d have to try for myself but wanted some recommendations to solutions/other pieces. I’m not a screamer (yet) but play trumpet 1 in my college band and jazz band for reference. Thanks
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using a variety of backbores, I found the Warburton TJ backbore to be by far the best lead backbore I have played. Obviously, we are all different. But with Warburton's system of interchangable cups and backbores, I think just about anyone can find a combination that works for them in whatever the application.
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $25+shipping, you can send your Yamaha Shew Lead mpc to Ken Titmus and have him enlarge the backbore to his "RT2" backbore (shown in scan B here). That should open up the blow just a hair but keep all else the same - including the cutting lead sound.

For ~$45, you can have Ken Titmus or someone else cut and thread your Yamaha Shew Lead top to accept Warburton-threaded backbores. You can then try/buy the Warburton TJ backbore as suggested above, or explore other options. But that's definitely going the more expensive, custom route for something that might not need that drastic of a change.

Good luck!
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got 3 Warburton cups altered slightly by Ken and they are, in one word, FANTASTIC. I believe Ken really knows his stuff, and he’s a known commercial/lead type guru. Two Great suggestions above.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the good ideas above, You could try opening the throat. I had a 28 throat on my commercial mouthpiece, then opened it to a 27, problem solved for me. May or may not work for you.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Yamaha Custom Allen Vizzutti mouthpiece (GP cup and rim). It works very well with Yamaha 8335LA Gen 1.
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try the Yamaha Eric Miyashiro?

https://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VA014300&mpc2id=VB913487&backcolor=blue
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Patrick FR88S for big band lead. I've had a lot of gear over the years that has worked, but when I played the Patrick on my Schilke B6, I thought for the first time, "I'm not going to find anything better than this." For me, it's the perfect balance of resistance and openness. A large amount of my playing is high C to G above. This mouthpiece hasn't increased my range, but it's made everything easier, better sounding, and increased my endurance.

I have Steve's CM-27 backbore, which is great, but I also second the other commentators above about the Warburton TJ and the Ken Titmus RT2. Both are fantastic, and both work well with my Patrick piece.

Steve is a phenomenal player, and is very responsive to questions. A shout out to him!
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mograph wrote:
Maybe try the Yamaha Eric Miyashiro?

I'd agree about the Miyashiro piece, though it looks like that scan is of the original EM1 and Yamaha now only makes the EM1MK2 and EM2MK2 trumpet mouthpieces which have less undercut (higher alpha-angle) and a heavier blank. I was pretty enthused about the EM2 piece -- slightly wider and deeper than the EM1, but much prefer the undercut of the original EM1.

However, if the OP can play first trumpet in a college concert/symphonic band on a Shew lead they shouldn't have any difficulty with the current Miyashiro pieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: