• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Severinsen Eterna - How to tell bore?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Getzen Severinsen Eterna - How to tell bore? Reply with quote

Bluedoggy wrote:
I have found a Severinsen which I think is mid-late 60's and am thinking about checking it out. How can you tell, by looking at it, which bore it is? Is this period good for these horns? What is a fair price for one in very good condition?

Thanks.
There is no substitute for measuring the horn with a caliper. Horns are mis-marked and altered over the course of time.

I have had several ML and LB Severinsens come through my shop. Actually, I have two LB's and one ML right now. A modified LB plays and sounds very much like the OLDS Ambassador I have up for sale.

However, most players will find that the ML is more comfortable and suitable for most styles of music.

My 2 cents...

Jason Harrelson
d5968
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while Jason is on the screen, I wanted to ask -does the new Getzen Genesis relate a point you have been making?
Destino-USA #2
Flip Oakes Cornet (Wild Thing)
Calicchio1S/9L
allchops1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a 1964 serial number SK793. The S stands for Severinsen even though the bell only says Eterna by Getzen.

The bore size at the second valve tube with a caliper reads .450

Now I'm confused~ ?
Northern Brass 63***
Warburton 9ES - 28 Hole - NY Backbore
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allchops1 wrote:
I just purchased a 1964 serial number SK793. The S stands for Severinsen even though the bell only says Eterna by Getzen.

Now I'm confused~ ?

The very early Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet will have four braces (2 from leadpipe to valve casing and 2 from casing to bell) instead of 1 and 1 that came soon after. Your bell might be a replacement. As for the bore size, I'm baffled.
Can you post some pics?
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allchops1 wrote:

Now I'm confused~ ?

Indeed you are confused or you cannot work with calipers: ml Eterna's are .460" and the LB .464

As already said here before: large bore Getzen Eterna's have LB stamped in the second valve where is the serial number as well

The SK means Severinsen Knowlton:
'Knowlton purchased the Getzen Company in 1960. Doc came on board in 1962 so all the Severisen horns were designated with "SK", Severinsen/Knowlton. I'm not sure how long that line of horns ran, but I would guess when Doc moved along the company many not have had the rights to build a Serverinsen labeled horn. But I'll bet they continued to produce those horns without the Severinsen label. Knowlton sold out to Andrews in 1985 and Andrews handed it back to the bank in 1991! Tom and Ed Getzen purchased it from the bank and built the company back to a profitable enterprize! In 1999 Tom purchased full rights to the company from Ed and became sole owner.
Doc again came back to Getzen in 2001. All the new horns are designated "SG" Severinsen/Getzen.' (quote: Dano, Veteran Member. Location: Southeastern Wi)

Not only Eterna's mod. Severinsen carry a SK number, non Mod. Severinsen Eterna's as well. This was to use up stock

My Eterna LB sounds a bit broader rather than the ml. Eterna's I posessed; the carry another bell. I would say the LB Eterna's sound more in direction of Vincent Bach with 25 bell.
Very good instruments, kinda rare
Jimbosan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Getzen Eterna at an estate sale a week ago. Ser: SK34,961 should put it about 1978 or so. The bore size at the second valve tube initally measured .453 in. I was surprised so I measured it with a manual vernier caliper in addition to a digital caliper, and I measured several times. I know how to use calipers and the trumpet was cleaned before I took the measurements. Go figure? I finally solved the problem. The ends of the tubes on the second valve slide were slightly pinched at the end. Could be just from being removed and put back in so many times. May not be uncommon for a horn that old. I trued the ends of the tubes and they measured 0.460.
'47 Holton48
'47 Conn22b
'48 Benge
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'78 Getzen Eterna
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds,DEG Bugles
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large bore Getzen Severinsen Eterna trumpets are marked LB above the serial number (the L is on one side above the serial number and the B is on the other side above the serial number - the letters are spread far apart).

You can't distinguish the ML model from the LB model by measuring the inside diameter of the second valve slide because the ML and LB models are exactly the same after the point at which the bottom tuning slide receiver enters the 3rd valve casing. The difference between the ML and LB Getzen Severinsen Eterna is confined to the leadpipe, upper and lower tuning slide receivers and the tuning slide.

I got this information direct from Getzen. When I got my LB model it confused me that the second valve slide inside diameter was definitely not LB size so I called Getzen and this was the explanation. I don't know of any other horn where the difference between the ML and LB is so limited. Technically, the LB isn't an LB at all. It's an ML with a different leadpipe, upper and lower tuning slide receivers and tuning slide.
ljnev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice old thread! I'm a big fan of the early Getzen Severinsens, they still hold up.

BTW there is an early (SKXXX) LB Getzen Severinsen at Baltimore Brass right now... lever water keys...

https://baltimorebrasscompany.com/p-14812-getzen-eterna-severinsen-large-bore-bb-trumpet.aspx

If I didn't already have one I'd grab it up, they are hard to find.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice old thread indeed

In between 2021 and last year I bought a Getzen Eterna mod. Severinsen LB and that one was a .468inch!
Nice horn, to me not as nice as my .464 LB so I sold her to a friend of mine.

So there are two Eterna LB sizes out there, speaking about confusion
ljnev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say this one is .464 so...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: