• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shallow cup with a lot of rim bite

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:28 am    Post subject: Shallow cup with a lot of rim bite Reply with quote

Can anyway offer opinions on a mouthpiece that has a medium shallow to shallow cup with a rim that has a pronounced bite, preferably wide. I have a lot of lip engagement in the cup and looking for something along these lines to counteract that.
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: I misunderstood what you were asking previously, so I'm just going to say that in addition to the recommendations below this post, you might try the MARCINKIEWICZ E13 C. FINDLEY.

Cheers!

Last edited by Chadwick on Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Shallow cup" is relative; however, I second the motion to start with trying a few Marcinkiewicz Mouthpieces. The Shew might work and comes in four depths in terms of cups. Many variables involved such as exact inner diameter for you; cup angles (i prefer a V cup); size of drill; shape of backbore etc. Used mouthpieces listed on here would be a good start as well. Is your preferred inner diameter a 7C ? 3C ? 1C? using bach parameters.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will recommend a pretty new mouthpiece, Bájoc Lead from bajocmusic.com. Fantastic rim, good bite, and a new cup design that really makes the high register easier. At least for me. The sound is also unmatched anything I’ve played before … and that is probably 90% of the pieces out there!
I use a Lead 3, with a typical 3/14 rim! Absolutely worth checking out!
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have been somewhat vague but I'm trying to be purposely so. I don't want someone to discount a recommendation. With mouthpieces you never really know until you try them. I will offer I've been playing at a amateur to semi-professional level for 30+ years.

Thanks for responding!!!
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parduba comes to mind first. Very sharp undercut but a wide rim.

Standard Wedge mouthpieces. While you don't feel the bite at the top or bottom of the mouthpiece, the sides have very sharp undercuts.

Maybe Warburtons - they tend to go almost straight down after the bite rather than sloping in. You might also talk to them about their Anchor Grip rim.
https://warburton-usa.com/pages/faq
Scroll down to "What is an Anchor Grip top? Do I need one?"
This is supposed to be for players with "thick or fleshy lips". I don't know it that would counter act your lip engagement.

Lots of cup choices and a zillion backbores plus all of Ken Titmus' line up.
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BudBix wrote:
I may have been somewhat vague but I'm trying to be purposely so. I don't want someone to discount a recommendation. With mouthpieces you never really know until you try them. I will offer I've been playing at a amateur to semi-professional level for 30+ years.

Thanks for responding!!!

English is not my main language, so instead of recommend, check them out, is what I meant! Good stuff in several sizes, and good bite on the Lead-rims! Also pictures with comparison to other known brands 👍🏻
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Andy Cooper already mentioned Parduba. A Jet-Tone T1A is another if you can find one. Also a Jet-Tone Studio B but the rim is very different - more of a round/fat shape.

Though I've got two different models I'm not all that familiar with the Jet-Tone line - I stumbled across the T1A by random happenstance in a music store years ago and liked how it felt. Someone gave me the Studio B on a gig with an oompah band when I discovered I'd left my mouthpiece in my car (I had been buzzing on it driving down the road) at a girlfriend's house, she drove us to the gig. An older guy just happened to have it in his case and didn't want it. It was a wrong fit for me in every way a mouthpiece could possibly be and I struggled through the gig - lol.

Looking at the mouthpiece comparator might reveal other Jet-Tones with similar profiles.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another nod to the Parduba and Harry James model mouthpieces, which are really shallow, have a wide comfortable rim with good bite. See the pic of a couple of Parduba mouthpieces I own below, showing the cups.
Ron

Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend Patrick mouthpieces with the M or S cup. They have a good sized undercut that keeps one from bottoming out. The use the comfort rim which does have a sharp edge. There is also a flat and round rim as well.
lopesfelix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Shallow cup with a lot of rim bite Reply with quote

BudBix wrote:
Can anyway offer opinions on a mouthpiece that has a medium shallow to shallow cup with a rim that has a pronounced bite, preferably wide. I have a lot of lip engagement in the cup and looking for something along these lines to counteract that.

Hi. I hope you are doing fine.
Look for Schilke 7B4, Bach 10 3/4CW. Large rim and sharp bite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: