• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Parduba Flugelhorn Mouthpiece in a Large Shank Flugel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lopesfelix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Parduba Flugelhorn Mouthpiece in a Large Shank Flugel Reply with quote

Parduba is a small morse mouthpiece. Has someone tried using it in Large morse Flugel? How was that? Huge or insignificant impact?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that it may not even fit snugly in the receiver -- the mouthpiece 'collar' may hit the end of the receiver before the shank is tightly in place. (I don't have a Parduba, but I do have a small morse flugel piece that I tried in the large morse receiver of one of my Yamaha flugelhorns.)

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
CaptPat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy on YouTube who puts a wrap or two of cellophane tape on his small shank mouthpieces to use them in a large bore horn, seems to work for him. YMMV
I play trumpet because I like it, not because I'm good at it.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptPat wrote:
There's a guy on YouTube who puts a wrap or two of cellophane tape on his small shank mouthpieces to use them in a large bore horn, seems to work for him. YMMV

That's a thought. I can't speak to the OP's question about "impact" though.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on the mouthpiece referenced, but I have, as a stopgap (pun intended), used the cellophane tape on mouthpieces I otherwise liked to see what it would do. When I found the sweet spot for tone and intonation, I would take my micrometer and measure the difference. I would then order a mouthpiece with the larger shank tip diameter. I especially did this on the Curry 3BBC on my Globe Stamp 921 Sov. My Wick 4B is @5 thou larger tip than Curry standard. So I asked Mark to make me a 3BBC and a 3TC with the larger shank. All fitment, stuffiness, and other issues were resolved. Another was an old trumpet mouthpiece I inherited, a Blessing 13, which had a proprietary shank of a narrower taper than now-Bach-standard. I had it re-shanked for sentimental reasons.

Since the Parduba only comes in one shank size, there are several shops out there that can mill and re-sleeve mouthpieces.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a Bach flugelhorn mouthpiece in a large morse flugel for decades. I tried mouthpieces with the correct taper, but always went back to the Bach.

Even when I played (for over 20 years) a different brand of mouthpiece on Bb, C, and D trumpets and cornet, and bought a flugelhorn mouthpiece of the same brand, with the same rim, and the correct shank... I went back to the Bach with the "wrong" shank.

Mark Curry now makes flugelhorn mouthpieces with a "universal" shank that fits large and small morse receivers, as well as straight French receivers. I'm currently playing Curry mouthpieces and wouldn't hesitate to buy one of his universal-shank flugel mouthpieces, except I'm still happy with the mouthpiece I have.

I've had some Parduba trumpet mouthpieces in the past and I suspect a Parduba flugel mouthpiece will snug up in a large morse receiver just fine. If it does, try it out and see how it works for you.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
Not on the mouthpiece referenced, but I have, as a stopgap (pun intended), used the cellophane tape on mouthpieces I otherwise liked to see what it would do.

Forget the cellophane tape.

I do similar, having several flugelhorns, cornets, European bugles, trumpets ... some, with very odd-sized receivers.
What I do, is use very thin copper ribbon (it is used by luthiers, to shield electronic components in electric guitars, from 60hz "hum" interference) ... OR ... metallic tape as used by HVAC installers for sealing seams in sections of ductwork.

In this manner (using METAL-based tape) there is no deadening of the primary and secondary harmonic vibrations/overtones that plastic-based cellophane tape produce.
Think about it ....
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:

Forget the cellophane tape.

Your point is well taken. But you must admit that an inch or two of cellophane tape costs essentially zero by comparison. In any event, now that I have mouthpieces of the proper shank for each of my horns, I'm done with the cellophane tape anyway, unless/until I purchase another horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: