• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Early 60s Olds Super

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmc129ny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Early 60s Olds Super Reply with quote

I received an early 1960s Olds Super I bought off the marketplace today. I played it at my bands rehearsal and thought I’d share my early initial impressions. For reference my main horn is currently an LA Benge 2x. The horn plays amazingly. The sound seems to have a very dense thick core much like the description I’ve seen calling it a “fire hose”. The blow is more restrictive than my Benge but by no means tight. My Benge blows very freely and slots very loosely. In the other hand the slotting and response on the Olds is so solid. The tone is warmer than the Benge but again my Benge is a bait in the extreme end. Playing it on my Bobby Shew Jazz it has the ability to sit warmly in the staff but can light up like a firecracker if needed. So far I’m loving it and it plays so quickly and is so responsive. I’ll likely provide an update in the coming days/week. I’d love to hear other thoughts on their experiences with supers. Thanks
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Early 60s Olds Super Reply with quote

bmc129ny wrote:
I received an early 1960s Olds Super I bought off the marketplace today.

Good instrument, very nice valves, solid construction. Great intonation and projection. Soundwise a little one dimentional but good for commercial work.
I did like my Super's, one late 40's one mid 60's. The latter I liked the most.
But in the end I have to say to me the Getzen Eterna LB suits me better since that horn is way more versitale so I sold both of the Supers
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 1956 Super. It's still at the tech. It fits somewhere between my 1978 Benge 3X+ and MY 1941 NY Bach Strad Not as free blowing as my Benge or as flexible but slots more like the Strad. Beautiful sound that is quite full like the Bach.
It's a wonderful trumpet with a classic bright vintage sound.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratz on your new horn. The Olds Super is still on my 'wouldn't mind trying one someday'-list. Pity they're so rare here (and getting expensive too unfortunately).
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
LadFree

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my mid 60`s Super; Always played Bach`s my whole career,which consisted of big bands, Broadway shows,some Orchestral and pops work,some Salsa big bands..Now at 70 years old and still at it, my go to horn is the Super,which I find as very responsive, a sound I really like for the commercial playing I still do, great valves,and a nice feeling of resistance in the bell,which has a late taper;This matches well with the large diameter mouthpiece I play.
I will say my Bachs might have a slightly more full spectrum sound,but for the ease of playing provided by the Super, I can live with that slight difference, especially in a very over amplified commercial setting,which I find myself in often;
The best advice I can give everyone is STAY YOUNG!! lol
stevericks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve played a Super since the 1960s. Love the horn. Nice thick focused horn, but different from a Bach Strad which has more overtones. Super is excellent in intonation and slotting.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the valve alignment. That might open up the blow some.
stevericks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In high school with a very high quality jazz band (played Merv Griffin show, Tonight show etc), we were told we had to buy a pro horn to be in the band. The other 4 guys had strads. My trumpet teacher (former big band trumpet player) steered me to the Olds Super, saying no to the Bach. Still have the horn and occasionally play it to this day on gigs. Fabulous intonation. I remember a couple of the other trumpet players tried to tell me the Super wasn’t a pro horn because it didn't have a first valve slide saddle. I asked my trumpet (pro player) teacher. He told me to tell them the Bach Strad was the poorer horn because it needed a first valve slide saddle to play in tune- the Olds was so good it didn’t need one. Ha. It really is a nice horn. I have the original one, plus a gold plated one. Also have a Special, Studio, Recording, and Super Star.
stevericks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In high school with a very high quality jazz band (played Merv Griffin show, Tonight show etc), we were told we had to buy a pro horn to be in the band. The other 4 guys had strads. My trumpet teacher (former big band trumpet player) steered me to the Olds Super, saying no to the Bach. Still have the horn and occasionally play it to this day on gigs. Fabulous intonation. I remember a couple of the other trumpet players tried to tell me the Super wasn’t a pro horn because it didn't have a first valve slide saddle. I asked my trumpet (pro player) teacher. He told me to tell them the Bach Strad was the poorer horn because it needed a first valve slide saddle to play in tune- the Olds was so good it didn’t need one. Ha. It really is a nice horn. I have the original one, plus a gold plated one. Also have a Special, Studio, Recording, and Super Star.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: