• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Flugelhorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
https://www.musikbeck.de/b-fluegelhorn-melisma-k-cuprum-219715/

https://www.musikbeck.de/b-fluegelhorn-melisma-p-9500l-209620/

https://www.musik-possegger.at/automatisch/

https://www.musik-possegger.at/Perinet/Perinet-Fluegelhorn/

https://www.musik-possegger.at/Zylinder-Rotary/Fluegelhoerner/Flupy-Fluegel/

Well look at that, fluegels with tuning slides all over the place.

I guess what I was saying in regards to Scodwell fluegel, it is really nice to see a tuning slide on pro level and AFFORDABLE fluegel. I do wonder why none of the common mass produced (Bach, Yamaha, Jupiter, Carol, and older horns like Kanstul, Benge, etc.) offer the tuning slide on fluegels.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
I guess what I was saying in regards to Scodwell fluegel, it is really nice to see a tuning slide on pro level and AFFORDABLE fluegel.

https://assets.catawiki.com/image/cw_normal/plain/assets/catawiki/assets/2023/2/8/1/4/d/14dfeee4-c41a-43ce-b36d-79d97d8b8fdb.jpg

1972 Anborg flugelhorn (Italy) with bell branch tuning slide

I own one of these, and they are definitely a pro-level horn in terms of tone, intonation, etc.

Also:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/505177283185309736/

Marcinkiewicz Rembrandt flugelhorn (this one's fairly pricey, but it has a thumb-wheel adjustment on the tuning slide)

Also:

Link

It's plastic, but it sounds pretty good (and the company calls it professional).

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flugelhorns are funny animals, much more mouthpiece-sensitive than trumpets.

I wouldn't buy the Courtois listed in the OP's post without trying it. I play a Courtois 156 from the 80's, which is the best flugelhorn I've ever played, but, like all other brands, there are wide variations in intonation, tone, etc.

If Tony Scodwell is making a flugelhorn, you should try it. He knows a heck of a lot about what works. That's all that counts.
https://yourbrass.com/
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
I wouldn't buy the Courtois listed in the OP's post without trying it.

+1

The Courtois mentioned in the OP's post is from the generation before your 156; it doesn't have the "direct air" valve block that yours has (among other things). My Noblet stencil of that horn does play pretty well, though, and it has a tone that can only be described as "luscious".

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
I guess what I was saying in regards to Scodwell fluegel, it is really nice to see a tuning slide on pro level and AFFORDABLE fluegel. I do wonder why none of the common mass produced (Bach, Yamaha, Jupiter, Carol, and older horns like Kanstul, Benge, etc.) offer the tuning slide on fluegels.

Conn offered one in the '20s and '60s:

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/Conn20A1969image.html
AlanK17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find a Rick Braun flugel mouthpiece on the Marcinkiewicz web site, only a trumpet one. I think Rick used his trumpet mouthpiece on both instruments when only using Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces (he uses a Swiss Brand plastic one for trumpet these days). I might be wrong of course!
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a used flugel, a Taylor Standard in raw brass. Price was good becouse someone had tried to brush it. I did not care. I am very happy with it. I had heard them and liked the sound, and I wanted to help the shop during the pandemic. Turned our well.
The mouthpiece journey was a bit interesting, from Bach (two tries) to an ACB (better) and finally biting the bullet and getting a Taylor mouthpiece. The horn works great with it, and all is settled flugel-wise.
If you like a brighter flugel, Yamaha is your bet as others have said. When I was trying flugels, I liked the old tried and true 631 better than the newer lighter ones. You can get one of them used fairly easily.
Pic: Kanstul 920
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Std
Bass Tr: BAC Custom
Nat. Tr: Nikolai Mänttäri Morales Haas replica
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:

The bell branch on a flugelhorn, the part that comes out of the valves and is joined to the bell, is critical to the horn's intonation. According to Byron Autrey, who is credited with solving the intonation problems of the flugelhorn when he and Zig Kanstul were working on the 1525 and 925 models, the taper geometry is extremely sensitive and can either make or break the instrument's intonation with a variance of 5/8" or less from optimum cut location along its taper.

Adding a sliding aspect to its design is, as Tony has testified on these boards, difficult and very critical to get right in order for the horn to maintain its intonation. Most designers simply use the tuning bit at the front of the horn to adjust tuning and hold the mouthpiece.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject. Has anyone been looking at this interesting critter?

https://www.rayfarrflugels.com/signature-model

nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiotpt wrote:
While we're on the subject. Has anyone been looking at this interesting critter?

The late George Graham played a flugelhorn modified in that way, with the bell rotated to the left side of the valves and a short piece of leadpipe mounted on the right to hold the pinky ring and give your right thumb something to do. I believe Mark Curry modified his B&S flugel in the same way after encountering Graham's.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
ldwoods wrote:

The bell branch on a flugelhorn, the part that comes out of the valves and is joined to the bell, is critical to the horn's intonation. According to Byron Autrey, who is credited with solving the intonation problems of the flugelhorn when he and Zig Kanstul were working on the 1525 and 925 models, the taper geometry is extremely sensitive and can either make or break the instrument's intonation with a variance of 5/8" or less from optimum cut location along its taper.

Adding a sliding aspect to its design is, as Tony has testified on these boards, difficult and very critical to get right in order for the horn to maintain its intonation. Most designers simply use the tuning bit at the front of the horn to adjust tuning and hold the mouthpiece.

And all of this information means that you have to try the horn before buying it. There is an "X" factor as well as measurable differences; some horns play better than others and there are no measurable differences. I've played hundreds, probably a thousand flugelhorns over my career, and you need to be selective if you consider it a serious instrument.
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: