• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Changing between cornet and trumpet in one concert

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Changing between cornet and trumpet in one concert Reply with quote

The community band I'm part of has performed several concerts where we have pieces of music written for both trumpet and cornet. Because not everyone in the trumpet section has both a trumpet and cornet (there's a few of us who do and we bring both), depending on the piece of music I may play trumpet on one piece, cornet on the next one, and then back again.

I don't mind it, as to me it's helping to improve my flexibility, but I'm curious if there is something I should do to make this change between instruments better/easier? I try to keep both horns warm by blowing air through them (when possible) so that at least I'm not going to pick up and play and be sharp right off the bat until the horn warms up, but is there anything else?

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends of whether the parts 'really' are written for the slightly different sound of cornet versus trumpet.

I think that some pieces (primarily those intended for HS or college bands) have their major 'high brass' lines scored and labelled as 1/2/3/4/ for either cornet or trumpet - and there are 'supplemental' high brass parts that are labelled for the 'other' instrument - but it is not really necessary or important which instrument is used on either.
I think that is done for the situation were an ensemble has a large number of trumpet / cornet players, and to avoid too many players on the same exact part.

Unless the is a desire for a specific instrument 'sound', I don't see the need to switch between trumpet and cornet.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
It depends of whether the parts 'really' are written for the slightly different sound of cornet versus trumpet.

I think that some pieces (primarily those intended for HS or college bands) have their major 'high brass' lines scored and labelled as 1/2/3/4/ for either cornet or trumpet - and there are 'supplemental' high brass parts that are labelled for the 'other' instrument - but it is not really necessary or important which instrument is used on either.
I think that is done for the situation were an ensemble has a large number of trumpet / cornet players, and to avoid too many players on the same exact part.

Unless the is a desire for a specific instrument 'sound', I don't see the need to switch between trumpet and cornet.

The pieces we've done and are doing are definitely are written for the different sounds. These are composers such as Sousa, Wagner, Williams.

1958 Conn Director 14A
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think just practicing on both horns back and forth in the same session will give you all the flexibility you need. Even if the mouthpieces are different. The more you practice switching the better it will be, as long as your practice on both horns is fundamentally sound and you're not wasting your chops on one horn before you pick up the other.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy & prefer playing the parts as named - cornet and trumpet. Switching back and forth? Practice doing it.. yeah and maybe, depending on the temp of the room you may need to start with the slide in a little if you don't have a chance to warm the instrument up - but honestly I haven't had that issues very often.
Anytime you switch axes you have this issue - in the pit (musicals) trumpet to flugel to picc in a cool pit below the stage - tune sharp the pull out as the instrument warms. I just finished a local production of Sponge Bob, it has a few Flugel requirements, but none long enough to really warm it up, so I made sure to tune it at room temp.

Having compatible mouthpieces, ones that aren't drastically different makes the swapping easier and causes less fatigue. I like Mark Curry's mouthpieces for this reason - going from one to another with the same rim makes it that much easier.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the posters above, except Jay K; To be more precise - music written by say Williams does require the cornet sound and so might other pieces be.
Storing the mouthpiece in question in one´s pocket in order to keep it warm helps as does having tuned the horns prior to the performance

But my main idea/suggestion is that when playing the cornet you should take advantage of the inherent character, and it should be played "cornetty".
A vague term I know, meaning "dolce, singing, softer, rounder, always with the ears geared towards the image of the pastoral English country side, cows ruminating"- in stark contrast to Verdian trumpets.
Just to give you an idea. Never mind the cows also farting now and then...

Then, of course, there are occasions when the cornet sound might be different;i.e the entire section blowing the intro to Wilhelm Tell - but, this notwithstanding - always somewhat exaggerating the tonal differences between the cornet and the trumpet. In your mind!

Many words but there is a reason having different horn parts.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
I agree with the posters above, except Jay K; To be more precise - music written by say Williams does require the cornet sound and so might other pieces be.
Storing the mouthpiece in question in one´s pocket in order to keep it warm helps as does having tuned the horns prior to the performance

But my main idea/suggestion is that when playing the cornet you should take advantage of the inherent character, and it should be played "cornetty".
A vague term I know, meaning "dolce, singing, softer, rounder, always with the ears geared towards the image of the pastoral English country side, cows ruminating"- in stark contrast to Verdian trumpets.
Just to give you an idea. Never mind the cows also farting now and then...

Then, of course, there are occasions when the cornet sound might be different;i.e the entire section blowing the intro to Wilhelm Tell - but, this notwithstanding - always somewhat exaggerating the tonal differences between the cornet and the trumpet. In your mind!

Many words but there is a reason having different horn parts.

I get what you mean by playing it "cornetty." That's one of the things I really like about my horn, it definitely has distinctly different tonal qualities and character than my trumpet.

And keeping the mp warm in my pocket is a good idea, thanks for the suggestion.

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
I enjoy & prefer playing the parts as named - cornet and trumpet. Switching back and forth? Practice doing it.. yeah and maybe, depending on the temp of the room you may need to start with the slide in a little if you don't have a chance to warm the instrument up - but honestly I haven't had that issues very often.

Anytime you switch axes you have this issue - in the pit (musicals) trumpet to flugel to picc in a cool pit below the stage - tune sharp the pull out as the instrument warms. I just finished a local production of Sponge Bob, it has a few Flugel requirements, but none long enough to really warm it up, so I made sure to tune it at room temp.

Having compatible mouthpieces, ones that aren't drastically different makes the swapping easier and causes less fatigue. I like Mark Curry's mouthpieces for this reason - going from one to another with the same rim makes it that much easier.

Agreed, composers write music with different parts for a reason, even if we don't always understand why. And usually there's enough difference in between the cornet and trumpet parts that it makes it interesting to play something else, which also is helping to broaden my skills as I'm coming back after a long time off.

Keeping the slide in just a bit makes sense, I may have to play with that and see how that works out.

My mps are similar, but not the same manufacturer. Why? Because the cornet mp is an original Olds 3, while the trumpet mp is an original Purviance 4*K4. I've had a few people recommend Curry mps though, so I might check into them. Are the specs pretty much the same between Curry cornet and trumpet mps?

1958 Conn Director 14A

Last edited by rhatheway on Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
I think just practicing on both horns back and forth in the same session will give you all the flexibility you need.

That's kind of my thought, which is why I try to volunteer to play both cornet and trumpet parts.

spitvalve wrote:
Even if the mouthpieces are different.

They are (see response above to zaferis).

spitvalve wrote:
The more you practice switching the better it will be, as long as your practice on both horns is fundamentally sound and you're not wasting your chops on one horn before you pick up the other.

I try to warm up on both horns in a similar fashion before beginning practicing, so (hopefully) it is fundamentally sound.

Re: wasting chops - Agreed. It's a balancing act for sure.

1958 Conn Director 14A
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
Are the specs pretty much the sme between cornet and trumpet mps?

They are the same.
Unlike many makers Curry rims are exactly the same within a series.. all #3 rims, regardless of the underpart shape/design, are the same contour-feel the same. From trumpet to cornet to flugelhorn the 3 series feel the same on my chops.

I will point out that his rim shapes vary from number to number.. 3 rims don't feel like his 5 rims, nor the 7 rims-they're not the same rim smaller or larger but a different contour as well.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
rhatheway wrote:
Are the specs pretty much the same between cornet and trumpet mps?

They are the same.
Unlike many makers Curry rims are exactly the same within a series.. all #3 rims, regardless of the underpart shape/design, are the same contour-feel the same. From trumpet to cornet to flugelhorn the 3 series feel the same on my chops.

I will point out that his rim shapes vary from number to number.. 3 rims don't feel like his 5 rims, nor the 7 rims-they're not the same rim smaller or larger but a different contour as well.

Good to know, that sounds like it would definitely make it easier. I'll have to check those out.

Thanks for the info!

1958 Conn Director 14A
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frequently play both cornet and trumpet in performances with one of the groups I’m in. Trumpet on trumpet parts and cornet on cornet parts. I use a similar size mouthpiece on both instruments, but one with a deeper cup on cornet. As someone has already said, we need to play the cornet like a cornet. I’m sure any composer who scores both trumpet and cornet parts for a piece intends for a contrast in sounds between the two parts, and I try to do that. Most of the time I’m on first part with either instrument, so even though the players on 2nd and 3rd cornet parts are typically playing trumpets, I still think my playing a cornet on 1st part makes a difference. Unless the room is really cool, switching back and forth between instruments doesn’t really produce too much of an intonation problem, and yes, I’ve put a mouthpiece in my pocket before to keep it warmer.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or .... Just get yourself a good old Bach 181 ML 37 cornet, does both perfectly well! If you want some variation, get a Bach mouthpiece with a C cup to sound more "trumpetty" and a B cup (even better, no letter) cup to sound like the cornets!!

But what would the fun of that??
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
But what would the fun of that??

Yeah, why would I want to do something to make life easier???

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Most of the time I’m on first part with either instrument, so even though the players on 2nd and 3rd cornet parts are typically playing trumpets, I still think my playing a cornet on 1st part makes a difference.

Yup, completely agree. There's a definite sonic difference between the two that IMHO definitely adds that special "something" to the music.

1958 Conn Director 14A
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm curious if there is something I should do to make this change between instruments better/easier? I try to keep both horns warm by blowing air through them (when possible) so that at least I'm not going to pick up and play and be sharp right off the bat until the horn warms up, but is there anything else?

I'm largely echoing the good advice that has already been mentioned. The first thing is to be comfortable with both horns. So, when you are practicing, make sure you play the parts you'll be using the cornet for on the cornet, and perhaps dedicate some fundamentals time to the cornet as well.

Next, the more compatible your two mouthpieces are, the smoother the transition. For many players, that means the same, or a similar rim, to what they are playing on their trumpet, and then an appropriate cup/backbore to help you get the distinct cornet sound you are aiming for (or else why switch horns).

Then, practice transitions. By that I mean use some of your practice time to get comfortable switching quickly from horn to horn. Play the last 16 non-rest bars of a piece on trumpet, take a brief pause, and then play the first 16 bars of a piece you'll play on cornet (and then back to the first 16 bars of another piece on trumpet).

Last, I'll add that if you are using mutes for your cornet make sure the mutes are properly sized for your cornet. That can help considerably with intonation. You might find that you need separate mutes for each horn. You'll figure that out through practice.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:

I'm largely echoing the good advice that has already been mentioned. The first thing is to be comfortable with both horns. So, when you are practicing, make sure you play the parts you'll be using the cornet for on the cornet, and perhaps dedicate some fundamentals time to the cornet as well.

Definitely. Now that I've got my cornet back in playable shape, that's exactly what I'm doing. And yes, there is definitely a difference in sound/tone between the two of them.

Dayton wrote:

Next, the more compatible your two mouthpieces are, the smoother the transition. For many players, that means the same, or a similar rim, to what they are playing on their trumpet, and then an appropriate cup/backbore to help you get the distinct cornet sound you are aiming for (or else why switch horns).

Yup, that's why I'll need to investigate that more. Right now the two are similar, but that's about it.

Dayton wrote:

Then, practice transitions. By that I mean use some of your practice time to get comfortable switching quickly from horn to horn. Play the last 16 non-rest bars of a piece on trumpet, take a brief pause, and then play the first 16 bars of a piece you'll play on cornet (and then back to the first 16 bars of another piece on trumpet).

That's a good suggestion. I was working on all trumpet parts and then changing to the cornet parts, but doing as you suggest will provide more of a real-world feel.

Dayton wrote:

Last, I'll add that if you are using mutes for your cornet make sure the mutes are properly sized for your cornet. That can help considerably with intonation. You might find that you need separate mutes for each horn. You'll figure that out through practice.

I still have all my original Humes & Berg stone-lined mutes from when I first played that cornet about a million years ago (), so I can use them if needed. Right now though, all the cornet parts don't require any mutes, but I'm sure that will change.

1958 Conn Director 14A
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the original question, to make the change easier, practice the change.

My quintet concert next weekend sees me play Bb, Eb and flugel. No issues changing. Then again, I don't even practice on the same Bb all the time.

When I was doing instrumental teaching full time, I used to have to demo brass - from trumpet to tuba. I may be able to play concerti on everything, but a working set of chops and air will overcome many many things. My colleague, the bass trombonist could manage to play bass bone in these sessions... but not tenor. Reason? Chops just didn't work.

June has a trumpet organ recital for me. I'll be playing picc a lot, plus Eb, cornet, maybe some flugel and I'd love to play Solus again... so add a C into the mix. It's not the changes I find a challenge, but making music so the audience loves every piece. Make this the focus and things should go better.

cheers

Andy
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:20 am    Post subject: Playing cornet and trumpet Reply with quote

Hello all,
Dale said it. I organize a 10 member concert band trumpet section. 7 of us own cornets, as we play/played in the brass brand also. We have a strong section, and the ability to have cornets, warms up the high brass sound. Most of us playing cornets, play a deeper cup and similar width with our shepherd crook instruments.
For the most part, switching back and forth is not an issue.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
To answer the original question, to make the change easier, practice the change.

My quintet concert next weekend sees me play Bb, Eb and flugel. No issues changing. Then again, I don't even practice on the same Bb all the time.

June has a trumpet organ recital for me. I'll be playing picc a lot, plus Eb, cornet, maybe some flugel and I'd love to play Solus again... so add a C into the mix. It's not the changes I find a challenge, but making music so the audience loves every piece. Make this the focus and things should go better.

cheers

Andy

Yup, that's what I'm working on now. Going from the trumpet to the cornet and back. Since our next concert has that mix again of both, practicing that transition makes sense and will make it easier. That, and keeping the mp warm in my pocket until I need it!

1958 Conn Director 14A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: