• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Options!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
codyb334
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Options! Reply with quote

I am in a position to get a new mouthpiece, a nice one. I have around $370 to budget, and dont mind putting it all into one mouthpiece as a present to myself. I am thinking of these options:

Two custom Pickett Brass top. I would take my Kanstul [based off a Marc. Shew 1 but larger throat (26), and shallower cup and rim reduced to .560"]. I am not unhappy with this piece, I just know it could be better. I would get a replica of the top in unplated copper and in silver plated brass I would make the rim .590/.600 or so. I would get various (used) backbores to find what I like. Never had a 2 piece before.

A Monette Prana BL6. Played many Monette mouthpieces here, few prana. I think I would like the BL6, but never played one before.

Al Cass 3x7 in gold plate. The new ones Steve is making. I had an original Al Cass 3x6 and loved it. But it was "stolen" from me. A little shallower would work just fine.

As you can tell I do like small and shallow mouthpieces for lead playing, I make decent money with my lead position with a local big band. But my other mouthpiece is a stretch from the others.

Maybe a GR 66FD. Same rim as my concert mouthpiece but a flugel cup for a different sound.

All in all, I do not have a needy reason for a new mouthpiece. But, I love to get new ones and try them out. Have done countless trades in the TH market place but now its time for something new. I would just like some 3rd parties to weigh in on the wise/logical decision or even suggest another option!
Olds L12 Flugel
GR 67L
Monette Prana BL2 S3 XLT
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this thought, after making 4 mouthpiece changes since 1992... if it ain't broke, why fix it? Regardless of how much you love tinkering, you state you earn decent $$$ playing lead. If you are willing to give that gig up, then go for it, other wise, back to my original point.

There are two mpcs you seem to like: Al Cass 3x6 and Monette.

I would look there. For Monette, you could consider a Kanstul copy initially and if it seems that series works, then pony up the $$$ for the real deal.

Anything else is gambling, and most likely going to end up in a drawer or costing you in a trade.

FWIW, when I changed mpc, it was for a reason (good or otherwise), such as my 2C mpcs were wearing badly after some 9 years of use. Then, having changed to Laskey 75 series, I was too fed up with poor service and moved to Monette 3 series. That was 2004. Then to Prana 3 series in 2009. Each move was considered, as while I earn my living teaching trumpet, I still must be able to play, and I was going to change to a mpc that was going to give me good results, not a guesstimate...

Hope that helps!

cheers

Andy
codyb334
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on your philosophy. But I know it can be better. I had a Monette B4S S2 that I thought was the best. Then tried a GR 66M and found it even better.

I work hard to keep my lead spot and to play the notes. I loved my Al Cass 3x6. But my Kanstul does the work too. Now I am after something like my 3x6 but maybe a little better. The logical answer right now is to get an original 3x6. But I am always after that piece that is better.... (Aren't we all...)
Olds L12 Flugel
GR 67L
Monette Prana BL2 S3 XLT
stevecass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: 3x5 or 3x7? Reply with quote

Hi Cody, I would suggest either the 3x5 or the 3x7 if you are looking for something that is similar but possibly more to the 3x6.
Gellelero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
I have this thought, after making 4 mouthpiece changes since 1992... if it ain't broke, why fix it? Regardless of how much you love tinkering, you state you earn decent $$$ playing lead. If you are willing to give that gig up, then go for it, other wise, back to my original point.

There are two mpcs you seem to like: Al Cass 3x6 and Monette.

I would look there. For Monette, you could consider a Kanstul copy initially and if it seems that series works, then pony up the $$$ for the real deal.

Anything else is gambling, and most likely going to end up in a drawer or costing you in a trade. Although on a gambling website you can really make a fortune by adhering to the rules of responsible gambling.

FWIW, when I changed mpc, it was for a reason (good or otherwise), such as my 2C mpcs were wearing badly after some 9 years of use. Then, having changed to Laskey 75 series, I was too fed up with poor service and moved to Monette 3 series. That was 2004. Then to Prana 3 series in 2009. Each move was considered, as while I earn my living teaching trumpet, I still must be able to play, and I was going to change to a mpc that was going to give me good results, not a guesstimate...

Hope that helps!

cheers

Andy

Your experience emphasizes the value of considering how any change, in this case to a mouthpiece, will impact your ability to perform and earn a living. This is an essential consideration for professional musicians, for whom stability and reliability in their instrument and accessories are crucial.

Last edited by Gellelero on Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don’t know until you try!

Last year, I did a mouthpiece safari using Curry 600 series s cup series and then settled in on a JMZ14 It’s about the same ID that you’re talking with these parameters.

“.622" on the inner diameter (.031" from the top of the rim), very slightly concave on the cup about .125" from the top of the rim.”

Dollar for dollar it was not an expensive mouthpiece Safari.

I like the shape and I’m sure any of your pics above can make any alteration that you like. If you have the chance to try some out in an expo, that’s always nice too.

Monette made an MFII Mouthpiece that I really did like. I only played on that one and a piccolo mouthpiece that was a Prana. There was the acclamation that he talks about with all of his mouthpieces and I did get adjusted to it.

I hope you find the mouthpiece you love!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe put the $370 towards some sort of money management course...
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would just like some 3rd parties to weigh in on the wise/logical decision or even suggest another option!

End your safari by visiting a mouthpiece maker, trying mouthpieces, and getting one that works well for you. Your profile says you are in Florida, so Warburton in Titusville would be an easy place to start, Terry and his team make great mouthpieces (and mutes) and have a lot of options to choose from.

If that's not of interest, I don't see that any of the options you've listed are inherently "better' or more /less likely to succeed than the other. Give one of them a try. Good luck.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Options! Reply with quote

codyb334 wrote:
All in all, I do not have a needy reason for a new mouthpiece. But, I love to get new ones and try them out. Have done countless trades in the TH market place but now its time for something new. I would just like some 3rd parties to weigh in on the wise/logical decision or even suggest another option!

The wise/logical decision imho is finding some way to try the mouthpieces that peaked your interest, preferrably in a manner that’s financially friendly.

Examples include visiting a store that sells said mouthpieces, buy them online from a place that has a return policy, or buy them used at a price you can recoup if you end up selling it later.

As for which mouthpiece to pick, my answer would be that it’s very personal and that I cannot possible tell you which one to go for because I don’t know what you play, how you play and what your goals are (and even if I did, I’d still give you the same answer). You could research the mouthpieces and determine what their characteristics and sound profile are (maybe listen to a few recordings of people playing them), to get a ballpark estimate of what to expect. However, beyond that it’s really down to trying and comparing.

I had a similar situation with mouthpieces for my flugelhorn, and the online place I ordered them from happened to have 3 that were very promising. An AR Resonance mouthpiece in bronze that looked very promising, a Denis Wick 3 that seemed very usable, and a Breslmair combination that I just cobbled together by chance hoping that it might work. And though I’m a huge fan of my AR trumpet mouthpieces, and I was already playing a Denis Wick 2 with the flugel, in the end the ‘lucky shot’ Breslmair ended up being the best choice among the combinations. Certainly not what I expected, so fortunately I was able to return the other mouthpieces.

Sorry if I can’t be more helpful than that. Good luck with your search.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
dschwab
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is 11 years old, and Cody hasn't posted since 2014.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dschwab wrote:
This thread is 11 years old, and Cody hasn't posted since 2014.

Lol, you’re right. That’s what I get for posting on my phone I guess. Sorry about that.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: