• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's so special about shepherds crook cornets?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: What's so special about shepherds crook cornets? Reply with quote

In several recent forums I've read comments from people talking about their shepherds crook cornets. From what I know (which isn't much, I admit) that's a style of horn that was made a long time ago (late 1800s?) and then was abandoned in favor of the more traditional cornet design that we all know today.

My question is, is there a sound or tonal difference that made those horns so special, or did they maybe project more, or their sound cuts through the other instruments better for some reason? Did the shepherds crook design of the pipe do something to the tone, or is there some other reason that made those horns so special? Or is it really just cosmetics and those old horns are unique because there's not too many of them around now and they just look cool?

Curious minds want to know...

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briefly, the difference between trumpets, Cornets, and flugelhorns boils down to degrees of "conicality", the fraction of tubing that is conical vs cylindrical, and the extent of the conical taper. The shepherds crook bell allows for a wider radius bend in the more conical bell, giving the emphasis to the lower partials, meaning a darker tone, if all the other factors are designed correctly.

There has been a big resurgence in Shepherds crook bells in the last 30 to 40 years in the US companies. The older cornet styles you are used to were really compromises for Cornets to be less "specialized" as distinctly different from trumpets.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A by-product of a shepherd-crook cornet is that the crook allows you to bring the horn closer to your face. Can enhance the horn balance a bit and some feel they can hear their horn more immediately. Up here rather than out there.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been heated debates on TrumpetHerald about whether the shepherd crook shape affects the sound of the cornet or not. Afaik a concensus hasn’t been reached. However, most agree that there are effectively 2 types of cornet; one type is mostly aimed at playing ‘brassband style music’ and that type often comes with a shepherd’s crook shape (the other type is often referred to as ‘long’ or ‘American’ cornet and is more often used for small group jazz settings because it has a more trumpet-like sound). The shape is thus at least an indication of the kind of sound the cornet is aimed to be used for, and possibly part of the reason it has that sound.

At least, that’s how I understand it.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Briefly, the difference between trumpets, Cornets, and flugelhorns boils down to degrees of "conicality", the fraction of tubing that is conical vs cylindrical, and the extent of the conical taper. The shepherds crook bell allows for a wider radius bend in the more conical bell, giving the emphasis to the lower partials, meaning a darker tone, if all the other factors are designed correctly.

There has been a big resurgence in Shepherds crook bells in the last 30 to 40 years in the US companies. The older cornet styles you are used to were really compromises for Cornets to be less "specialized" as distinctly different from trumpets.

This is the best exposition of the reasons and differences I have read. Thanks.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most modern shepherd’s crook cornets have a more mellow sound than “American wrap” cornets, because people expect them to sound that way and the manufacturers oblige. More bends in the tubing may take a bit of the edge off the tone, but the main factor is how conical the tubing and the bell are. A cornet that starts out with a smaller leadpipe entrance and tapers to a larger bore (even tapering through the tuning slide) all the way to the valve block is more conical than one that doesn’t. Add a bell with a faster taper, and you have the main ingredients for a mellow cornet. Brace placement and the metals used can also affect the characteristics of a good cornet.

Many, if not most “American wrap” cornets aren’t quite as conical as their shepherd’s crook counterparts, and have a more trumpet-like bell taper. Of course, mouthpiece selection and individual embouchures are a variable that can greatly affect the sound from any cornet (or trumpet).
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that the shepherd's crook comforts me (along with thy rod and thy staff).

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shepherd's crook is a nod/throwback to an earlier style of cornet wrap that used Stölzel piston valves. Stölzel valves, invented in 1800s, had one port at the bottom and two switchable ports on the side. The section of tubing going to the bell from first valve bottom port had to be wrapped 270° around, resembling a shepherd's crook.

Stölzel valves had a bore step at the boundary between the piston / casing and a 90° or 135° turn within the piston, making them much stuffer than the later invented and still currently used Périnet valves.

Other than a "pretty" shape and the ability to collect water "in the dip" the shepherd crook is not contributing much to the sound. Unless, of course, you listen with your eyes.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: What's so special about shepherds crook cornets? Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
In several recent forums I've read comments from people talking about their shepherds crook cornets. From what I know (which isn't much, I admit) that's a style of horn that was made a long time ago (late 1800s?) and then was abandoned in favor of the more traditional cornet design that we all know today.

Literally all modern "short model" brass band cornets have a shepherd's crook. You also get "American style" often referred to as "long model cornets", although a true long model cornet is no longer made as far as I'm aware, and basically looked like a trumpet, but had a cornet mouthpiece receiver.

An American style cornet has no shepherd's crook, and the bell extends further.

i.e.

Bach 184ML:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vincent-Bach-N-Stradivarius-Cornet/dp/B00LOYMG58 (In all cases, I've just gone for the first links I've found)

Bach 181ML:
https://prozonemusic.com/products/vincent-bach-stradivarius-long-model-cornet-ml-bore-in-lacquer

Notice the shepherd's crook on the Bach 184ML.

And also on the Besson Sovereign and Yamaha Neo:
https://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Besson-Sovereign-BE928G-Bb-Cornet-Silver-Plated/1CQZ?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_ycr_8335_g_02_cornet.htm?

Take care and best wishes

Lou

My question is, is there a sound or tonal difference that made those horns so special, or did they maybe project more, or their sound cuts through the other instruments better for some reason? Did the shepherds crook design of the pipe do something to the tone, or is there some other reason that made those horns so special? Or is it really just cosmetics and those old horns are unique because there's not too many of them around now and they just look cool?

Curious minds want to know...

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a mid-1960s Olds Ambassador cornet, had some dents removed, and gave it to my son. I bought a 1969 Getzen Capri for myself.

The straight-bell Olds actually has a darker sound than the shepherd's crook Getzen. But the Getzen looks cooler.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To correct some misstatements above, Cornets are not more conical than trumpets . . . surveys of hundreds of instruments have put that myth to bed and confirmed that trumpets have a more conical taper due to single wrap designs having a longer bell tail that allows for a more conical design.

Cornets have a double wrap while trumpets have a single wrap, and this design feature accounts for their mellower, darker timbre.

The Shepard's crook design gives Cornets even more radius bends which further darkens their sound.

Imagine the fundamental tone frequency and accompanying overtone frequencies that comprise any standing sound wave. Those frequencies vibrate within the air molecules in one's horn, just as pond water vibrates across the expanse of the pond when disturbed. Unlike woodwinds, brass instruments constrain their standing waves within the confines of the brass tubing itself.

You can imagine every radius bend as lengthening the lower frequency tones around the outside of the radius and compressing the higher frequency tones along the inside radius. Bends in brass tubing extenuate lower frequencies and extinguish and/or dampen higher frequencies.

Since French horns and cornets wrap at least twice, they have a mellower sound than trumpets that wrap only once.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
I find that the shepherd's crook comforts me (along with thy rod and thy staff).

Very good Scotch helps, also.
Cognac even better.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWG wrote:
To correct some misstatements above, Cornets are not more conical than trumpets . . . surveys of hundreds of instruments have put that myth to bed and confirmed that trumpets have a more conical taper due to single wrap designs having a longer bell tail that allows for a more conical design.

Cornets have a double wrap while trumpets have a single wrap, and this design feature accounts for their mellower, darker timbre.

The Shepard's crook design gives Cornets even more radius bends which further darkens their sound.

Imagine the fundamental tone frequency and accompanying overtone frequencies that comprise any standing sound wave. Those frequencies vibrate within the air molecules in one's horn, just as pond water vibrates across the expanse of the pond when disturbed. Unlike woodwinds, brass instruments constrain their standing waves within the confines of the brass tubing itself.

You can imagine every radius bend as lengthening the lower frequency tones around the outside of the radius and compressing the higher frequency tones along the inside radius. Bends in brass tubing extenuate lower frequencies and extinguish and/or dampen higher frequencies.

Since French horns and cornets wrap at least twice, they have a mellower sound than trumpets that wrap only once.

In that case, notes played as 1, 2, 12, 13, 23 and 123 should sound markedly darker than those played open (depressing a valve adds an extra [90° + ϴ , 180°, 90° - ϴ] group of narrow-radius turns). This may be true for 13, 23 and 123, but is barely noticeable for 1, 2 and 12.

Of course, depressing valves (except in all-conical bore Coutourier cornets) introduces a section of cylindrical tubing into the path, in addition to introducing extra turns of the tube - these effects are difficult to separate from each other.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody bothered to measure the bell throats and the flares? As was discussed earlier, The overall profile of the bell can determine the tone more than the wrap. Even Bach on their trumpet bells discusses the differences between all of their bells, even when using the same valve block, or at least the two most common blocks, ML .459 & L .462: https://bachloyalist.com/bach-trumpets-bells/#google_vignette .

Likewise Schilke had different bells to get different tones out of a trumpet: https://www.everythingtrumpet.com/schilke/Bells_slides_and_finish.html

So did Callichio and others. I have played an Ambassador. Its .468 bore and a little wider taper contribute to its mellowness, even though being a straight bell.

To my eyes, some of the Besson Sovereign cornets of a few years ago had, (I never got to try one) narrow taper with quick flare bells and are definitely brighter in tone than, for example, my 921 Globe Stamp. And the 921 is noticably wider in the throat than my Bach CR300 (modded to look like a 181L). The difference in tone is the difference between generally accepted brass band tone and pre-WWII American concert band tone. (before trumpets took over concert band - a debate for another day)

We've hashed the wrap argument enough. Let's see some actual data of bell flares, throat diameters measured at a point, say, @ 2 1/2 inches/64 centimeters upstream from the rim, and how that data fits into subjective tonal assessment. Even Bach, as Lou posted, has a different bell taper and flare for the 181 compared to the 184, even using the same valve block and leadpipe. The tonal differences are very apparent.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornets are not (or should not be), superfluous. I once had a professional concert band and decided to use cornet/trumpet sections for where they are specified in the music.

The trumpeters actually took a road trip to a music store to get the most appropriate (shepherd-crook) cornets. Once I integrated them into the band, you could definitely tell the difference.

I was listening to a playback of that band and my wife walked into the room and said, "I can always tell when I'm listening to your band. It's just warmer".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I wonder what instrument builders must think when they’d read discussions like these.

My take on the whole thing is that it’s probably a combination of things that lead to the resultant sound; including not only physical stuff like wrap, bracings, mouthpiece, valve block position and distribution/total amount of conality, but also the mental aspects of having the bell closer to the ear and the player’s expectations translating into their sound concept.

It’s no doubt perfectly possible to make bright sounding shepherd’s crook or a darker/warmer sounding long cornet. Even if every little change adds 1% to the whole, it’s probably combined that they make a big difference.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Cornets are not (or should not be), superfluous. I once had a professional concert band and decided to use cornet/trumpet sections for where they are specified in the music.

The trumpeters actually took a road trip to a music store to get the most appropriate (shepherd-crook) cornets. Once I integrated them into the band, you could definitely tell the difference.

I was listening to a playback of that band and my wife walked into the room and said, "I can always tell when I'm listening to your band. It's just warmer".

This. Yes. There is a most musical difference. Thank you.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Sometimes I wonder what instrument builders must think when they’d read discussions like these.

🤑

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: What's so special about shepherds crook cornets? Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

Literally all modern "short model" brass band cornets have a shepherd's crook. You also get "American style" often referred to as "long model cornets", although a true long model cornet is no longer made as far as I'm aware, and basically looked like a trumpet, but had a cornet mouthpiece receiver.

An American style cornet has no shepherd's crook, and the bell extends further.

i.e.

Take care and best wishes

Lou

Lou, thanks for the examples, that helps me to better understand the differences!

Now I have another question, based on your reply. The "long cornet" or "American style" cornet, is there a length specification that these horns typically adhere to? Or in other words, how much longer is a "long" cornet vs a standard cornet?

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:

Wow, thanks for the detailed info. This entire discussion has been a master class (for me, anyway) on details of the horn that I never really knew about.

Of course, now you've raised the issue of "conicality vs cylindrical," which I would assume gets into the minutia of length of the tube, diameter of the tube, when the flare begins for the bell, etc., so I'm sure this discussion can go on and on and on and...

1958 Conn Director 14A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: