• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Changing between cornet and trumpet in one concert

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Playing cornet and trumpet Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,
Dale said it. I organize a 10 member concert band trumpet section. 7 of us own cornets, as we play/played in the brass brand also. We have a strong section, and the ability to have cornets, warms up the high brass sound. Most of us playing cornets, play a deeper cup and similar width with our shepherd crook instruments.

Fully agree with you, the difference in sound has a big impact.

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A
BarryWilson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Changing between cornet and trumpet in one concert Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:
The community band I'm part of has performed several concerts where we have pieces of music written for both trumpet and cornet. Because not everyone in the trumpet section has both a trumpet and cornet (there's a few of us who do and we bring both), depending on the piece of music I may play trumpet on one piece, cornet on the next one, and then back again.

I don't mind it, as to me it's helping to improve my flexibility, but I'm curious if there is something I should do to make this change between instruments better/easier? I try to keep both horns warm by blowing air through them (when possible) so that at least I'm not going to pick up and play and be sharp right off the bat until the horn warms up, but is there anything else?

I actually switch between trumpet and flugel on a regular basis. I normally do this when playing solos for church or in a few quintet pieces. All I do is practice making the changes regularly. There doesn't seem to be a problem.
Yamaha YTR 8335 Gen I Xeno (Back up horn)
Yamaha Bobby Shew Flugel
Leblanc Paris C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: