• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuner for brass/wind orchestra

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamiczka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:16 am    Post subject: Tuner for brass/wind orchestra Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am searching for recommendation of good tuner for wind/brass orchestra. I tried to google it and also search it here but I did not find much.

Tuning fork is not the best option for our purpose and just players ears also because we have a lot of kids there and they need some help with tuning.

I found a lot of recommendation to Korg tuners and also Petersen, that are considered a bit more precise (correct?). My understanding is that probably the most ultimate option would be stroboconn tuner, but I am looking for something a bit more affordable and mobile.

Would anyone have experience. My preselection is along the lines of
Korg OT-120 that is designed for orchestra directly
Korg TM-50 or TM-70
Petersen StroboPlus HDC

Has anyone any hands on experience or recommendation of other possibilities?

Thanks a lot!
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have experience with the Korg OT-120, and it's great!
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Korg TM-60 for home practice and for gigs where I’m using a music stand.
No issues so far. They cost about $35-$40.

https://a.co/d/bpvv4yz
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried any type of electronic tuner? Even a very inexpensive one should be able to assist wind instrument tuning - typically to concert Bb and F.

A key item is having the players be familiar with how the intervals of a major scale should sound, and that they are able to imagine the proper pitch of the notes, and actively strive to produce and recognize the correct pitch.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamiczka - I have been using a Korg TM-40 for about 5 years and find it to be reliable. I use it daily during home practice, during community band practice and during performances. You can pick one up off eBay for very little. See link below.
Ron

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=korg+tm-40&_sacat=0&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=15
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re inclined to go the iPhone app route this one has temperament and transposition features.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/keytuner/id1328712601
Lamiczka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for help.

I have some experience with Korg i believe it was TM-50 or similar from the past. It worked fine but sometimes I was not that happy with digital scale. There were sometimes delay and it was a bit clumsy so I decided to remove TM-70 from the list.

I checked some videos on youtube and quite like analog needle type meter on OT 120 - it seems to be fast and precise so I ordered one for roughly 80 USD. From the price range it is somewhere in the middle of LCD Korgs and Petersen so I hope that it will work for us.

For my personal practice I want to try Petersen iOS app iStroboSoft.

Quite interesting will be to compare performace of iOS app and Korg OT-120. Once I will have it, I will try it and will let you know
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that a tuner is just a tool and not the answer. The answer is in developing the ear without the tuner.

Don't have the kids blow a note into the tuner and adjust. Have them play what they think is the center of their pitch, with you watching the tuner and making suggestions. Have them continue listening critically.

Regarding using a tuner to tune every note in a scale, this is just wrong. Pitches are relative to each other. Some notes in a scale may be a little lower or higher than acoustically perfect, especially when balancing chords.

Spend more time having groups of instruments playing octaves, open fifths, perfect fourths, etc. until you work yourself to playing isolated chords in tune within itself. Get the kids to listen and adjust.

Tuning is relative. I once asked a friend who played in the Philadelphia Orchestra how they played so well in tune with each other. He said. "We don't play perfectly in tune. We play out of tune together, perfectly."

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago (many ) ... pre-digital anything ... I used to tune (playing electric lead guitar) to the dial-tone of a landline telephone.
Frequently used in bars, since you couldn't hear a tuning fork amidst the din.

The dial-tone is pitched at A=440cycles. The 2nd string on a guitar is the A-string.
One needed to cradle the phone between ear and shoulder, while turning the tuning pegs on the guitar, to center the pitch at the A open string, and then again at the octave (12th fret).

This "tip" was given to me by my close friend, the late Danny Gatton.
If not familiar, "Google" him. He was known as the "World's Greatest Unknown Guitar Player" ... and, also, as "The Humbler". (Apt description).

[Am missing Dickie Betts, already. Saw him perform (Allman Brothers) many times. Great guitar-player ... great song writer. R.I.P., Dickie ...hoping you're with Duane, again.]
Lamiczka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Just keep in mind that a tuner is just a tool and not the answer. The answer is in developing the ear without the tuner.

Don't have the kids blow a note into the tuner and adjust. Have them play what they think is the center of their pitch, with you watching the tuner and making suggestions. Have them continue listening critically.

Regarding using a tuner to tune every note in a scale, this is just wrong. Pitches are relative to each other. Some notes in a scale may be a little lower or higher than acoustically perfect, especially when balancing chords.

Spend more time having groups of instruments playing octaves, open fifths, perfect fourths, etc. until you work yourself to playing isolated chords in tune within itself. Get the kids to listen and adjust.

Tuning is relative. I once asked a friend who played in the Philadelphia Orchestra how they played so well in tune with each other. He said. "We don't play perfectly in tune. We play out of tune together, perfectly."

I agree with that and we are guiding kids to play, listen and adjust tones according to their ears but there are some situations when you want to initially tune all instruments/players very well like in the competition in different halls where you are not used to play and it has different acoustic etc. and then some tuner comes handy.

In general I agree with everything you wrote, but from time to time it is worth to use it and to be hones even my ear is sometimes "confused".
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Korg and a phone app that produces a green smiley face when you are on pitch. However, the orchestra director does not allow us to use an electronic tuner when we tune up for rehearsal. He prefer we use our ears. During rehearsals he also will point you out when your intonation, partial, is off. He will also, at that point, ask you which instrument you might be playing in unison with and what part of the chord you are playing and how you should play that note so the chord sounds in tune. The trick in rehearsal is to play so you are not noticed, or to play in tune with the orchestra.
Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPhone "Total Energy" tuner app.

I think it's $10 but well-worth it.

For the kid in all of us, when you get the pitch in tune, you get a big green smiley face. It's hilarious!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=147567&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second the use of tuning apps on a phone. I may be old school, but tuning was always a one note deal when I played in larger groups. One instrument tuned to a piano or tuner and the rest tuned to that instrument. I was taught that from my first experiences in band. I remember in school, there was a big strobe tuner. After we would each tune to the one instrument, usually a clarinet, we would all play in unison to see the tuner's reaction. I learned guitar tuning as tuning one string to a tuner or tuning fork, then tuning the rest by ear. All the piano tuners I have known use a similar technique, usually a tuning fork.
So any decent tuner is good for getting that first pitch, the phone, my old Korg, even the cheap ones. The rest is relative.
On the trumpet, and with the natural trumpet in particular, tuning is always an adventure in compromise.
Pic: Kanstul 920
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Std
Bass Tr: BAC Custom
Nat. Tr: Nikolai Mänttäri Morales Haas replica
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like SoundCorset. Use it on my phone and iPad.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
TrpM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the very clean interface of the LinoStrobe tuner app (on Android phone).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, there are a number of choices, but don't "take your eyes off the prize." The main priority is still developing the ear, not relying on a tuner.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You can tune a piano ... but, you can't tuna fish".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: