• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mute Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LowerSlower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Mute Recommendations Reply with quote

Time to replace the harmon (Jo-Ral "bubble" in copper) and straight (down to one cork).

I despise the sound of the straight mute, but may be doing more big band playing and will need one.

Any recommendations?

Thank you.
dschwab
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo-Ral bubble aluminum
Soulo straight
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TrumCor Zinger is my favorite Harmon-type mute. As for straight mutes, I'm a fan of those with copper bottoms (but not all copper). The TrumCor is my favorite copper bottom mute, but the Soulo, Tom Crown, and even the Denis Wick are fine (and less expensive).
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Trumcor Zinger, it's the most responsive harmon-style mute that I have (I have a Harmon, Mutec, Charlie Davis, and Joral Bubble for comparison). It's also the loudest which makes it great for live, unamplified big band shows. Once in a while there's an orchestral concert where I need one of the others for a different color or lower-volume sound but the Zinger is the one in my bag most often.

For straight I like the Mutec copper bottom straight mute. Better intonation than the Dennis Wick for me but much of the same color and volume projection.
TJTS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a big fan of the Huber straight. Can change out the bottom for the sound that you are looking for!
SunRa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Soulo Straight
Best straight mute I've ever played on; it does not "stuff up" the horn like others I have owned.
I am sure the others are great as well, so try to find players around you with different straight mutes so you can formulate your own opinion for your specific preferences and style.
1905 Conn Connqueror Cornet
1930's Conn Cavalier Cornet
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always just replace the cork on your straight mute, unless there’s something else wrong with it.

Huber has a one piece straight mute as well as the modular straight (TJTS mentions) that comes with 2 screw in bottoms. He also sells a buzz base that can be used on that modular straight mute as well. Video demos on his website.
- I don’t have any of these, but just got his cup mute that’s of nice quality.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’m a big fan of the Huber straight. Can change out the bottom for the sound that you are looking for!

I agree. I used my Huber straight mute for a performance last weekend. If the straight mute is mainly for big band, then the Huber is an excellent choice. The whole Huber lineup is terrific.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original Tom Crown straight in aluminum - it's the sound I like.

Bach Elite with the cone indentation with stainless steel bottom if they still make it. (The Bach is a loud mute - I use it for outside stuff. If you drop it, you may damage the flooring.

Nice to have a Shastock but a good one will cost you. A pretty good substitute is the ProTech Vulcan.

The Vulcan is a total fiber mute (same material as drum cases). For less than $20 shipped. Take the orange thing off the end and store the mute in a tennis ball can. Very nice rich fiber mute sound that sounds good in a section - but thin wall construction - you just can't bang it around like a metal mute.

Please note - most mutes need their corks filed until low F# pops out solid.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the corks, get any dents worked out. Would have to be in amazingly bad condition to need totally get rid of the mute.
With the Bubble Mute, un dent and replace the cork with EVA foam (self-adhesive sheets available at hobby stores and online)

new mutes:

Straight - Denis Wick, or Jo-Ral
Harmon - Jo-Ral copper bubble, or Soulo, Zinger
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Original Tom Crown straight in aluminum - it's the sound I like.

Bach Elite with the cone indentation with stainless steel bottom if they still make it. (The Bach is a loud mute - I use it for outside stuff. If you drop it, you may damage the flooring.

Nice to have a Shastock but a good one will cost you. A pretty good substitute is the ProTech Vulcan.

The Vulcan is a total fiber mute (same material as drum cases). For less than $20 shipped. Take the orange thing off the end and store the mute in a tennis ball can. Very nice rich fiber mute sound that sounds good in a section - but thin wall construction - you just can't bang it around like a metal mute.

Please note - most mutes need their corks filed until low F# pops out solid.

I second the Tom Crown. I have aluminum and copper bottom versions, and their nonpareil straight. Excellent all around.

If you want to go the route of Shastock, there are several on eBay right now that aren't terribly expensive. Just be careful. There are two Free-Tone straight mutes listed as Shastock, but they are very different (the Free-Tone is my favorite soft straight).

Believe it or not, the Humes & Berg Swish Wha (their version of a bubble mute) plays quite well. If you don't need the stem, their Wee Zee mute has a nice, tight buzz and I can play it easily all the way down to Low F#.

I recommend, even if you replace them, keeping the JoRal mutes and having them brought back up to snuff. They are popular mutes and many people use them, so having them on hand in case you need to blend into a section is a good idea.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always want to add to any discussion about mute(s), is that you must consider application and blend.
Different designs, and material have different tonal qualities; you should consider blend within groups that you're playing with.

I'll use the Tom Crown St. mute as an example (because it was mentioned earlier) - I love the sound too, however it does not blend well with Vacchiano's or Denis Wick's . I like using mine for solo work, but when it comes to section work I carry a Denis Wick st. or Jo-Ral copper bottom st. So, you really should pay attention to what those around you are using and match mutes as best you can.

Recently attended a Josh Rzepka presentation comparing many mutes, he had a great statement: Who's playing them (mutes), where, and what application? i.e. Soulo mutes which are being used by LA players who do a lot of recording studio work - so sound great mic'd up close - Do they sound as good live when you're pushing them more? I've noticed that my Soulo Harmon when pushed dynamically doesn't respond as well.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Recently attended a Josh Rzepka presentation comparing many mutes, he had a great statement: Who's playing them (mutes), where, and what application? i.e. Soulo mutes which are being used by LA players who do a lot of recording studio work - so sound great mic'd up close - Do they sound as good live when you're pushing them more? I've noticed that my Soulo Harmon when pushed dynamically doesn't respond as well.

This is a good point. I agree and (semi-seriously add that I) use it as one of my justifications for having many mutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: