• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Descending Intervals Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryWilson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:57 am    Post subject: Descending Intervals Problem Reply with quote

Let me see if I can describe my problem clearly. I'm thinking specifically about the notes at the top of the staff beginning with 1st ledger line "A" and descending down to about 4th line "D". I don't have any trouble ascending through those notes diatonically, chromatically, or larger intervals. But for a long time I've been having trouble descending. I was just now reading the Sigmund Hering Etude #4. On line 6, m 1 I could not play the descending A to F# to D# then the G/E/C. It got better when I slowed it down and made each note a quarter note at about 60 but it still ain't great. Descending interals in that range strike fear into my heart when I see it in literature. Any thoughts?
Yamaha YTR 8335 Gen I Xeno (Back up horn)
Yamaha Bobby Shew Flugel
Leblanc Paris C
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's so much nuance and precision that is required when describing sound that would be cleared up with a recording. I'll try and ask the questions required to properly respond:

1. Is the range you mention a VERY comfortable range for you
2. What exactly is the trouble in descending? Do you miss the note completely, do you go too far down, do you have an odd sound? What is the trouble?
3. What happens when you slow it down to half notes at 60?
4. Can you sing those intervals with extreme precision?
5. Have you recorded yourself?

There's more, but let's start there.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say what is causing the problem without seeing and hearing you play. But playing/chop issues often stem from inconsistent air flow. Here’s a clip of Allen Vizzutti with some interesting thoughts:

https://youtu.be/6_OXw9o95aY?si=BPnPjKsfcABqK4YQ

Might not resolve this problem but useful info to think about.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's typical to practice going higher, so more skill is developed learning how to make the adjustments in that direction. When going lower, it is necessary to learn how to control the 'relaxation' adjustments.

Going slowly and precisely is important, and developing the habit of making the adjustments to land on the desired note. For me, it's imaging the pitch and the 'feel' needed for the notes
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
learn how to control the 'relaxation' adjustments.

'feel' needed for the notes

Control implies active effort. However, often deactivating the coordination effort is sometimes the solution. As Guillaume Jehl would say "do nohsing" (French accent for "do nothing").
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easier to climb a tree than to take it down.

It happens to me too.

I can think of some logical exercises:

- Practice it an octave lower.
- Loop up and down the arpeggio.
-Play the descending arpeggio with chromatic passing notes, faster and faster, keeping a long tone on the target note.

I guess you already practice this kind of exercises.

One last thing, play without fear, your body already knows how to play those notes, it just needs to learn the way to play them in that descending order.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge

Last edited by Trumpjerele on Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
JayKosta wrote:
learn how to control the 'relaxation' adjustments.

'feel' needed for the notes

Control implies active effort. However, often deactivating the coordination effort is sometimes the solution. ...

---------------------------------------------
I use the term 'control' in the generalized sense of
'having the physical actions (the 'doing' of playing) occur as needed to achieve the desired results'.

That doesn't mean the player needs to be aware of the details, or to consciously make physical adjustments - it is fine if the proper adjustments 'just happen' as needed when 'stimulated' by the 'sound intent' of the player.

I think that most players and teachers recognize that producing the desired 'sound intent' requires physical actions and adjustments - it won't happen with just 'wishing and hoping'.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

I use the term 'control' in the generalized sense of
'having the physical actions (the 'doing' of playing) occur as needed to achieve the desired results'.

That doesn't mean the player needs to be aware of the details, or to consciously make physical adjustments - it is fine if the proper adjustments 'just happen' as needed when 'stimulated' by the 'sound intent' of the player.

I think that most players and teachers recognize that producing the desired 'sound intent' requires physical actions and adjustments - it won't happen with just 'wishing and hoping'.

I did not mean to invoke any "song and wind" "just wish it to be so" whisperings. I meant that you should experiment with both sides of the spectrum.

1. See what happens when you try to "make it happen"
2. See what happens when you try and "make nothing happen"
3. See what happens when you "do nothing"
4. See what happens when you focus on air
5. See what happens when you focus on sound
6. etc.

All of them, including your advice should be done in the absence of teacher/coach.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I correct in saying that if you have to think about it you haven’t mastered it?

Or, you’re thinking, but similarly to the degree you think about how to walk while walking?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
JayKosta wrote:

... it is fine if the proper adjustments 'just happen' as needed when 'stimulated' by the 'sound intent' of the player.

I did not mean to invoke any "song and wind" ...

-----------------------------
I view 'song and wind' as the stimulus that unconsciously activates the necessary 'doing' skills that the player has achieved through good practice.
And of course, a player who improves their 'song' will likely improve their 'doings'.
BarryWilson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Descending Intervals Problem Reply with quote

[quote="abontrumpet"]There's so much nuance and precision that is required when describing sound that would be cleared up with a recording. I'll try and ask the questions required to properly respond:

1. Is the range you mention a VERY comfortable range for you
Well, not "very" comfortable. I'm a 68 yr old amateur and play mostly 2nd and 3rd parts.
2. What exactly is the trouble in descending? Do you miss the note completely, do you go too far down, do you have an odd sound? What is the trouble?
In this example, when I come off the "A", instead of hitting the "F#" I land on the "D#". This happens in other examples in the same register.
3. What happens when you slow it down to half notes at 60?
It gets better...just not great. I played it slowly several times this morning and came back to it late in the afternoon. It was better.
4. Can you sing those intervals with extreme precision?
On lower pitches, yes.
5. Have you recorded yourself?
Not doing this.
[/i]
Yamaha Bobby Shew Flugel
Leblanc Paris C
BarryWilson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Descending Intervals Problem Reply with quote

MrOlds wrote:
Hard to say what is causing the problem without seeing and hearing you play. But playing/chop issues often stem from inconsistent air flow. Here’s a clip of Allen Vizzutti with some interesting thoughts:

https://youtu.be/6_OXw9o95aY?si=BPnPjKsfcABqK4YQ

Might not resolve this problem but useful info to think about.

Hmmm. "Inconsistent air flow". I'm wondering if I'm dumping the air?
Yamaha Bobby Shew Flugel
Leblanc Paris C
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you might be dumping the air. or relaxing the embouchure too much.

Try ...
- keeping what you think is the same air and embouchure, just relax a teeny tiny bit
- playing A G#, A G , A F#, A F , A E, A D#, A D
- add it in threes: A G# G, A G# F#, A G F, A F# D#, A F# D or something like that.
- do it slowly and only speed up incrementally when it sounds and feels good.
- try to keep a more consistent embouchure throughout. The notes might be closer together than you think.[/list]
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descending is harder than ascending.

Keep the Mouthpiece with the lower jaw, so that you can feel your lower teeth. Practice tonguing the interval then immediately slurring it. Stay with the lower teeth. Notice how you likely stay with the teeth when tonguing and pull away when slurring.

It's easy to lift off and away from the lower teeth when descending which means the jaw and the embouchure are no longer working together and all sorts of lip manipulation starts to happen, along with exaggerated pivoting.

The Reinhardt folks have two great exercises called the "pivot stabilizer" and the "track routine". Both would help a lot with this.

One other thing that can help as well is to play the A, allow your cheeks to puff, then slur down with the puffed cheeks. This seems to force you to stay with the teeth. Obviously this is an exercise only. Once you get the feel, go back to playing it normally.

Hope that helps!
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:

It is not.

mograph wrote:

Can we define "dumping" air? In general, there is little difference to the perceived air flow between these three notes. It basically feels unchanged. As I said before, experiment with "pretending" to play the same note twice (in terms of trumpet approach) and just hear/finger the next note. Allow the trumpet to help you learn.

BarryWilson wrote:
In this example, when I come off the "A", instead of hitting the "F#" I land on the "D#". This happens in other examples in the same register.

Sounds like you just need more time getting coordinated up there. If you're regularly playing 2nd and 3rd parts and tend not to practice regularly up there, it just takes time. Bring your same good habits to that register and keep at it.
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:

mograph wrote:

Can we define "dumping" air?

I'd define it as the player's not maintaining the same compression that they had for the higher notes. Open to suggestions for a more apt metaphor.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mograph wrote:

I'd define it as the player's not maintaining the same compression that they had for the higher notes. Open to suggestions for a more apt metaphor.

Not maintaining can be "increasing" or "decreasing." We have not defined which one of those two is "dumping." But it doesn't matter. Yes, relatively maintained is the goal.
BarryWilson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:08 am    Post subject: Descending Intervals Problem Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for taking time to work on this with me. I got several ideas that I'm going to work on. You guys are great!
Yamaha Bobby Shew Flugel
Leblanc Paris C
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
mograph wrote:

Not maintaining can be "increasing" or "decreasing." We have not defined which one of those two is "dumping." But it doesn't matter. Yes, relatively maintained is the goal.

Decreasing.
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="abontrumpet"]
Destructo wrote:

It is not.

Ah yes, very sophisticated and nuanced response.

In case it's not perfectly obvious from the rest of my response, which you clearly ignored in order to merely be contrary for no apparent reason, descending incorrectly is very easy to do, thus descending is harder to do correctly (than ascending). That would have been perfectly clear from the rest of what I wrote but willfully being contrary seems to be the goal here.

Many people have difficulty with descending, more so than ascending. Some don't even realize this until the following note after a wide descending interval where they discover they've used so much manipulation on the descent that that everything is out of whack. The air is seldom the problem. The problem is people start pulling away from the lower teeth, the lower lip starts to float and the embouchure becomes floppy. The wider the interval the more likely it is to happen.

If you don't believe me, next time you have a student struggling with this, just forget about air-air-air and actually watch what they're doing. It's very obvious if you pay attention. It's not "dumping the air" it's more like "dumping the lower lip".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: