• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

L.A. Benge repair work in California

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradnott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject: L.A. Benge repair work in California Reply with quote

I bought a 1970s L.A. Benge 3x from the Horn Trader back when I was a highschool student in 1999.

It got played a ton in high school, and then college marching band. Then I served in the U.S. Navy and hardly touched it. I briefly played it again consistently from 2013-2015.

This year I'm getting back in to playing and I'm taking my comeback seriously.

But, my horn is...vintage. It only has a few very small dents and silver plate is probably around 80-85%. But it has a few small red rot spots on the lead pipe. They haven't opened up, but the lead pipe's years are numbered.

The horn also doesn't seem to play as open as I remember so I want to get a valve alignment. I've never had that done in the 24 years I've owned it.

I could just buy a replacement horn, maybe even another Benge, but I'm considering getting the repair work and alignment done.

Does anyone have any recommendations for who should do the repair work and/or alignment?

I live in Santa Cruz, CA and I've read good things about a few shops in the bay area. But I thought I'd ask here to get a better idea of my options.

Thanks!

P.S. while I'm at it I'll likely get an alignment for my 1928 Conn Victor (80a). So this thread will give me ideas for where to take that horn as well.

[/img]

bradnott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have some choices...

1. Replacement lead pipe + alignement

2. New/different/modern horn

3. Near/direct replacement like this (example) one... https://www.horntrader.com/product/benge-3x-s-n-6526-burbank-circa-1966/[/url]
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradnott wrote:

3. Near/direct replacement like this (example) one... https://www.horntrader.com/product/benge-3x-s-n-6526-burbank-circa-1966/[/url]
All of these are reasonable choices. If it were me I would replace the leadpipe and align the valves.
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradnott wrote:

4. A New Benge trumpet from BAC.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet for myself.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet2012fhl wrote:
4. A New Benge trumpet from BAC.

Still haven't pulled the trigger on one yet for myself.
Apparently no one else has, either. From what I can ascertain BAC has made very few of their version of the Benge trumpet, probably less than five.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the second pull slide is wrong anyways
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
the second pull slide is wrong anyways
It was only that way on the prototype, due to the fact that they purchased their valve cluster from another vendor. Supposedly they were going to correct that on their production horns, but that would mean there would have to be production horns.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a repair tech tells you a leadpipe change and a valve alignment is all that needs to be done -- perhaps a chem cleaning while you are at it -- then that seems like a great outcome.

Note that you cannot can't be certain that option is viable without a repair tech taking a look at the trumpet. First, they need to be able to source an appropriate leadpipe to use as a replacement. That used to be fairly easy. Not sure if it still is. Second, the trumpet itself is (approaching?) 50 years old. If it has a lot of playing time on it the valves may need more work than just an alignment.

Good luck!
bradnott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
If a repair tech tells you a leadpipe change and a valve alignment is all that needs to be done -- perhaps a chem cleaning while you are at it -- then that seems like a great outcome.

Note that you cannot can't be certain that option is viable without a repair tech taking a look at the trumpet. First, they need to be able to source an appropriate leadpipe to use as a replacement. That used to be fairly easy. Not sure if it still is. Second, the trumpet itself is (approaching?) 50 years old. If it has a lot of playing time on it the valves may need more work than just an alignment.

Good luck!

Yes, by the serial number it's probably around 46 years old. I bought it used when I was in high school because of many of my great trumpet heroes who played a Benge. It has sentimental value, but I am realistic and reasonable. I'm not a "restore it at all costs" kind of a person, especially not for a horn that isn't particularly rare.

No repair tech is going to crush my dreams if the repair/restoration cost is going to be ridiculous. I can handle the news; but I feel I should at least get a professional assessment before I decide to give up on the horn.

In the end I'll just have to make a decision: spend X dollars to keep playing "my" vintage horn, or spend Y dollars on a new/replacement horn.

I bought the horn as a high schooler after coming up with half the money myself, and my parents graciously gave me the other half. The day it came in the mail was like Christmas. The moment I played it I knew I had made a fantastic decision by choosing it over the Bach Stradivarius that so many other young advancing players think is the holy grail.

It gave me a LOT of good times, so at least in my possession if it needs to be retired it has served me very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: