• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul 1525 / Bach mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orthonormal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Kanstul 1525 / Bach mouthpiece Reply with quote

I've played trumpet for many years, and have gone from a Bach 5C to a 1C, tried a 7C, and finally settled on a Yamaha Shew Jazz.

I recently bought a (used) Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn with a Bach receiver ("B" imprint). The salesman recommended a Bach 3CFL mouthpiece, which plays reasonably well except that with the receiver pushed all the way in the horn plays about 15c flat for me. The mouthpiece doesn't go into the receiver all the way up to the end of its smooth taper. I saw it suggested somewhere that the proper fit was to have it go in that far.

I'm not certain that the mouthpiece length is the problem, but I wonder what I can do about it. My other horns (a Kanstul trumpet and a Bach cornet) are in tune with their slides pulled out about 1/2".
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did the same thing. Yes, you should try other mouthpieces to see if the Bach aggrevates the issue, but mine played flat no matter which piece I used.

I finally sent my horn to Flip Oakes, who designed the horn. He did a valve alignment and cleared out a few solder blobs. He also determined that mine had been made with a bell tail that was about a half inch too long. That wouldn’t have caused that much flatness, but it didn’t help.

Flip tweaked my leadpipe so it could be inserted a little further into the horn.

I don’t know if it was the leadpipe tweak, the alignment, or running the bore tool through the horn (most likely a combination of the 3), but it’s a whole new horn. It plays more even throughout, it doesn’t have wonky out of tune notes any more, and the tuning slide isn’t all the way in any more.

At a minimum, I would suggest you find someone who can do a good valve alignment.

As a side note, you might consider a different mouthpiece. The Bach are easy to play, but they are long and the cups are shallow. The sound is bright and I don’t think mine did any favors to the intonation. I personally like GR’s and Monettes, but there are other well repected flugel mouthpieces too, like Curry or Flip Oakes.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Flip Oakes flugel mouthpiece that it is quite a bit shorter than my other flugel mouthpieces. I think Warburton may also have a short model flugel mouthpiece.
scatanas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 1525 I use a Warburton 3 and it’s just awesome.
Orthonormal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
As a side note, you might consider a different mouthpiece. The Bach are easy to play, but they are long and the cups are shallow. The sound is bright and I don’t think mine did any favors to the intonation.
At least one of the people I spoke to when choosing the mouthpiece told me that in recent years Bach has made their flugelhorn mouthpieces much deeper than they used to be, and he did not think it was an improvement. With the mouthpiece I have, the horn has a broad, mellow tone quality. When I switch to my trumpet after playing the flugel, it sounds to me like I'm playing with a straight mute!

I would like to be able to play the high G to C more easily -- it's much easier on my trumpet with the Shew Jazz mouthpiece -- but right now I think the tuning is more important.

I know Flip has retired from building horns since the Kanstul factory shut down. Do you know if he still does repair and blueprinting work? (update: I just found a retirement annoucement from December 2023 on Facebook, following an October 2022 announcement that he was retired but still doing some repairs by appointment.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: