• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn Victor 6B Restoration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeonardoSantoss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject: Conn Victor 6B Restoration Reply with quote

Hello everybody.

I came across a CONN trumpet on my country's markplace, I'm from Brazil, these trumpets are rare here, at first glance I wasn't very interested, I'm not a connoisseur of conn trumpets, but as I was researching a director 17a cornet, I ended up reading about the Victor model, I saw that it was a semi-professional or professional instrument.

I remembered that I had seen an advertisement for a trumpet like that, so I went searching to find out what model it was, after a lot of research I concluded that it must be a 6B posterior of 1960-1970, its serial number is GI820775.

After reading some posts and watching some videos, I decided to acquire it, its problem is that in a period in its past an aged tubal ligation was carried out, very common in Brazil, I honestly don't know what why do this with the instrument, but as I was a luthier, it won't be very difficult to remove this lacquer, after removing it I will know if I have any nickel parts, if there is a coprion leadpipe, etc. It cost me very little, so it might be worth it, apparently its valves are in excellent condition.

I don't have it yet, it arrived this week. I will post some photos that your seller sent me, follow me in your restoration, if you have any tips or suggestions, please tell me, it will be of great help.

Last edited by LeonardoSantoss on Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pristine 1960 Conn 6B Victor trumpet. It’s very similar to a Conn Connstellation, but with a brass bell and copper leadpipe. It’s a very good trumpet.

Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Mine looks identical (but not as nice) as the one in Dales photograph. It has a red rot tuning slide and I will get that fixed sometime in the future. It’s a great horn for basically anything I can do with it (jazz, funk, orchestra, …). I have recently found that Miles OMalley sells replacement parts for the Connstellation, so he may be able to help you with replacement parts, if needed.

Mine is from 1977, so about the same vintage as yours — it plays great and you can just about forget about this „the late Conns are not as good as the original Elkharts“ thing. It’s a great horn (and one of the best looking ones out there, too ).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, (Frate or Curry)
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, the Conn 6B Victor fan club is in session

Mine is a 1972. I had the main tuning slide crook replaced (red rot) and the first valve slide reversed so I can have a Bach-Style thumb hook for tuning the C# and D at the bottom of the stave.

Even though the valves are not super tight (a bit of thicker oil does the trick), it has basically become my main horn for everything except Mozart Masses (a Viennese C Trumpet for that). It does 1st chair wind band, Jazz solo, Mariacchi, Film Scores ... and it is spectacularily well in tune.

Hope that it will give you pleasure. If I may suggest, a good trumpet builder or repair technician will make all of your instruments go even better.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Conn Victor 6B Restoration Reply with quote

LeonardoSantoss wrote:
. . . if someone can explain to me how I can put the photos in the post, I'll do the editing.

Read this thread (especially the last post, which I just updated to reflect changes in the Imgur upload process):

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146974

You basically have to upload your pictures to another hosting site, and then paste the BBCode for your images in your TH post. (Imgur is a relatively good free hosting site, and it automatically generates the BBCode for you to copy.)

mr oakmount wrote:
If I may suggest, a good trumpet builder or repair technician will make all of your instruments go even better.

+1

I'm afraid I'm not a member of the "6B Victor club", but Charlie Melk did a wonderful job restoring my 8B Artist (a close relative), as well as my 10A Victor (not as close, since it is the earlier 'narrow wrap' version).

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
LeonardoSantoss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I have a pristine 1960 Conn 6B Victor trumpet. It’s very similar to a Conn Connstellation, but with a brass bell and copper leadpipe. It’s a very good trumpet.

Your trumpet is beautiful, it must be fantastic to play it
LeonardoSantoss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Congrats! Mine looks identical (but not as nice) as the one in Dales photograph. It has a red rot tuning slide and I will get that fixed sometime in the future. It’s a great horn for basically anything I can do with it (jazz, funk, orchestra, …). I have recently found that Miles OMalley sells replacement parts for the Connstellation, so he may be able to help you with replacement parts, if needed.

Mine is from 1977, so about the same vintage as yours — it plays great and you can just about forget about this „the late Conns are not as good as the original Elkharts“ thing. It’s a great horn (and one of the best looking ones out there, too ).

Thank you for all the information, it's great to know that there is someone who has replacement parts.
LeonardoSantoss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr oakmount wrote:
I see, the Conn 6B Victor fan club is in session

Mine is a 1972. I had the main tuning slide crook replaced (red rot) and the first valve slide reversed so I can have a Bach-Style thumb hook for tuning the C# and D at the bottom of the stave.

Even though the valves are not super tight (a bit of thicker oil does the trick), it has basically become my main horn for everything except Mozart Masses (a Viennese C Trumpet for that). It does 1st chair wind band, Jazz solo, Mariacchi, Film Scores ... and it is spectacularily well in tune.

Hope that it will give you pleasure. If I may suggest, a good trumpet builder or repair technician will make all of your instruments go even better.

With all this information I became even more excited, I will receive it today, hopefully it will become my main horn too. I currently have a student Yamaha.
LeonardoSantoss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Conn Victor 6B Restoration Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
LeonardoSantoss wrote:
. . . if someone can explain to me how I can put the photos in the post, I'll do the editing.

Read this thread (especially the last post, which I just updated to reflect changes in the Imgur upload process):

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146974

You basically have to upload your pictures to another hosting site, and then paste the BBCode for your images in your TH post. (Imgur is a relatively good free hosting site, and it automatically generates the BBCode for you to copy.)

mr oakmount wrote:
If I may suggest, a good trumpet builder or repair technician will make all of your instruments go even better.

+1

I'm afraid I'm not a member of the "6B Victor club", but Charlie Melk did a wonderful job restoring my 8B Artist (a close relative), as well as my 10A Victor (not as close, since it is the earlier 'narrow wrap' version).

Thank you very much, I managed to put the images through your tutorial.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeonardoSantoss wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

Your trumpet is beautiful, it must be fantastic to play it

Thank you! I played one of these in high school, but sold it about 10 years later. I should have kept it, and decided to try to find another about 20 years later. That one popped up on eBay and I bought it. They are really nice trumpets with a pretty easy upper register. The bore is really small, so you have to learn not to overblow - let the horn do more of the work for you. Congrats on yours, hope you like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: