• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Muted lip slurs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:55 pm    Post subject: Muted lip slurs Reply with quote

Is it okay to do lip slur practice with a mute in? Its such an obnoxious thing to have to hear for me, let alone for other household members or neighbours
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At times yes it's OK. All of the time? I can see where that could be problematic.

I've tried many of the practice mutes, but for home practice, when needed, my preference is a good fitted cup mute with a felt or knitted donut in the cup. This cuts down the volume but doesn't increase the resistance too much.
Consider that I get in a warm-up / routine session every day, while I have family members in the house 2-4 days a week, those being days that I do start with the cup mute - easier on my ears too.

I think a little extra attention on a full breath, a full tone, and release/movement of the air is needed. And, of course, you still have to practice as you perform, so find a space that you can open up and practice without the mute.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: