• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Model 37 valve oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MLGaudet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Bach Model 37 valve oil Reply with quote

My brother sent me his 1978 Bach Strad 37, he is not using it anymore. Refurbished the horn for my use and concert band. The horn sounds amazing and plays easily with a very nice centered tone. Compared to my 1973 Radial 2 though the valves seem not as responsive. I use Monster valve oil on the Selmer and it works real fine. For the Bach, I have been using the Monster. My question, is there a more appropriate valve oil for the Bach, say less viscous and what is recommended from other Bach Strad owners.
Bach 1.5C
Schilke 14A4A
Eastrock 3C
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I don’t think there is such a thing as best valve oil for a particular brand of trumpet.
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fwiw the Monster boys went above and beyond for me getting me set up with the right valve oil for a Strad with finicky valves, so they always get my vote. They've got good stuff and customer service that won't be beat.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadstriker wrote:
Fwiw the Monster boys went above and beyond for me getting me set up with the right valve oil for a Strad with finicky valves, so they always get my vote. They've got good stuff and customer service that won't be beat.

I have corresponded with them related to that but not in too much detail.
Curious just how or to what extent they advised you.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadstriker wrote:

I think they make a plant-based oil that may come in different weights. It may be that you need a thicker oil to fill the gap on an old horn. And be sure to clean the instrument thoroughly before using a new oil.
https://yourbrass.com/
CaptPat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Monater in my Bach 37.
I play trumpet because I like it, not because I'm good at it.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster is fine.. I personally don't like the odor and it seems to produce a lot of ick in the condensation-lots of oily residue in my spit puddles.

I play mostly Bachs, of various ages, have had great success with Ultra-Pure. And Ultra-Pure has various viscosities to experiment with.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
CaptPat

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Monster is fine.. I personally don't like the odor and it seems to produce a lot of ick in the condensation-lots of oily residue in my spit puddles.

Interesting how different people react differently to the same product. I don't detect a smell from the oil, nor do my spit puddles look oily. The good news is that there are lots of good lubricants to choose from.
I play trumpet because I like it, not because I'm good at it.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject: Through bath Reply with quote

I agree with a previous poster about giving your trumpet a through bath. What brand, strength of valve oil did your brother use on the trumpet? After the bath use isopropyl alcohol to wipe down the valves and use a mouthpiece brush to clean the holes. Then rinse off the valves .
Denis Wick 4 W classic gold short shank mouthpiece
Getzen 4B short shank mouthpiece
Jupiter 9e short shank mouthpiece
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have zero exposure to Radials, but in my experience Bach valves tend to feel heavier and clunkier than some others. You get used to it.

That said, by all means make sure your horn is clean and the valves are as pristine as you can get them. Then use a good quality valve oil. I like Hetman, but there are other synthetics that are good too. Some people still prefer dyno oils as well.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea whether this applies to using Monster after brand X oil, but we used to see recommendations to thoroughly clean valves and casings when changing valve oils since some react with each other.

YMMV
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:

I play mostly Bachs, of various ages, have had great success with Ultra-Pure. And Ultra-Pure has various viscosities to experiment with.

Monster sells several different valve oils, including EcoPro which is plant based as well as petroleum based valve oil… Which one is being talked about on this thread?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no specific oil that's "best" for any particular brand of instrument.

Theoretically, I suppose the company that makes both an oil and the trumpet would have a formula that works well with their trumpet. But, Bach just sells the old Holton oil rebranded as Bach. They might have other "Bach" oil, but frankly, I'm skeptical.

Regardless, there are too many variables involved. There's the instrument, there's the oil, there's the player's personal body and saliva chemistry and there's possibly some other factors that I'm not even aware of.

First of all, clean the trumpet thoroughly before switching or trying a different oil. Often they don't interact well with others (like Blue Juice, which is crap, anyway), so do your best to eliminate that variable.

And then, just find some good, well regarded oils and try until you find one that you like and works well on that instrument.

Not all oils that work well in trumpet A will work perfectly in trumpet B, even when they are both clean and owned and played by the same player.

I regularly play an old Selmer Paris Radial and an old LA Benge 3X. The oils I think are quite good are Ultra Pure, Hetman, and Yamaha Synthetic. There might be a few other good ones, but those I can vouch for.

My Benge is perfectly fine with any of the 3 I mentioned. However, the Radial doesn't work as well with Ultra Pure as the Benge does. However, Yamaha works great in both, so that's what I use.

It's nice when there are various weights as options within a oil line. If you really like an oil, but your valves are too worn for the normal stuff, it's nice if there is a similar heavier option from the same maker. Hetman, Ultra Pure, and Yamaha all do this, but others do as well - which is nice.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: