• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Android vs Apple tablets for music

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Android vs Apple tablets for music Reply with quote

Several of the people in my trumpet section use iPads with PDFs of all our music loaded onto them. They can adjust the size of the display, adjust the page brightness, make notes on the page, highlight passages, turn the page with a foot pedal, etc.

I'm not fond of Apple products, so haven't taken that step yet. But the convenience factor sure seems enticing. I'm considering it if there's an Android app that has the same features as the ones I've seen on iPad.

Any recommendations?

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1958 Conn Director 14A
1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1977 Reynolds Medalist CR-58
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are your friends/fellow musicians with iPads are using ForScore, a fabulous program... that is only for Apple products. It keeps me in the iPad ecosystem, even though large-screen Android tablets can have much lower price tags than the 12.9" iPad Pro (and if rumors are true, the 12.9" iPad Air to be announced in a few days).

I don't know what the best Android sheet music organization software is, sorry.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
Chances are your friends/fellow musicians with iPads are using ForScore, a fabulous program... that is only for Apple products. It keeps me in the iPad ecosystem, even though large-screen Android tablets can have much lower price tags than the 12.9" iPad Pro (and if rumors are true, the 12.9" iPad Air to be announced in a few days).

I don't know what the best Android sheet music organization software is, sorry.

That name sounds familiar, so you're probably right.

Somewhere around the house I have an old (gen 1) iPad. Any idea if ForScore would run on that at all (my guess is no, but it never hurts to ask).

1958 Conn Director 14A
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Gen 1 iPads are supported for much of anything these days. For that matter I'm not sure they can run a version of iOS that is still supported by Apple...

I will note that new iPads are supposedly being launched on May 7th and lots of retailers are having big closeouts sales on the 18-month old models as a result. You can probably get a 2002 model year 11 inch iPad (so the size of an A4 sheet of paper) for $400 or less.

ForScore is wonderful software and I've got over a thousand songs loaded onto it, plus some PDFs of Clarke, Arban, etc. If you play in band(s) that require you to lug around a book or three of music, ForScore is a lifesaver. Playlists can be assembled in virtually no time, annotations are easy to make, the half-page flip is revolutionary (so to speak), etc. Definitely worth the investment IMO.
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
trumpetsnack

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Microsoft Surface Pro and I think it's super underrated for musicians. It runs full Windows 11 so I'm able to run notation software, Ableton, FL Studio, video editing software, as well as using it for sheet music- all on the same device. It fits in my trumpet case and comes with me everywhere! The app I use for sheet music is called Mobile Sheets and I have no complaints there, it's great. It's nice not needing a computer AND a tablet, I use this thing for everything.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Gen 1 iPads are supported for much of anything these days. For that matter I'm not sure they can run a version of iOS that is still supported by Apple...

I will note that new iPads are supposedly being launched on May 7th and lots of retailers are having big closeouts sales on the 18-month old models as a result. You can probably get a 2002 model year 11 inch iPad (so the size of an A4 sheet of paper) for $400 or less.

ForScore is wonderful software and I've got over a thousand songs loaded onto it, plus some PDFs of Clarke, Arban, etc. If you play in band(s) that require you to lug around a book or three of music, ForScore is a lifesaver. Playlists can be assembled in virtually no time, annotations are easy to make, the half-page flip is revolutionary (so to speak), etc. Definitely worth the investment IMO.

Yeah, I didn't think it really could be used, but it never hurts to check.

I'll have to think about a used iPad. I'm just philosophically opposed to Apple and how everything they sell is proprietary (yeah I know, that's a discussion for another time and another forum). But I'll admit that I still have an old iPod that has several thousand songs on it that I take with me when I travel and I really like it. So maybe...

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetsnack wrote:
I use the Microsoft Surface Pro and I think it's super underrated for musicians. It runs full Windows 11 so I'm able to run notation software, Ableton, FL Studio, video editing software, as well as using it for sheet music- all on the same device. It fits in my trumpet case and comes with me everywhere! The app I use for sheet music is called Mobile Sheets and I have no complaints there, it's great. It's nice not needing a computer AND a tablet, I use this thing for everything.

I'll have to take a look at Mobile Sheets then, as that sounds like it might be a good Android alternative to ForScore.

1958 Conn Director 14A
CaptPat

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for iPad Pro and ForScore, I’m in the Apple ecosystem so this lineup is a no brainer for me.
I play trumpet because I like it, not because I'm good at it.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhatheway wrote:

Yeah, I didn't think it really could be used, but it never hurts to check.

I'll have to think about a used iPad. I'm just philosophically opposed to Apple and how everything they sell is proprietary (yeah I know, that's a discussion for another time and another forum). But I'll admit that I still have an old iPod that has several thousand songs on it that I take with me when I travel and I really like it. So maybe...

Sorry, I made a critical typo in my earlier post: you can get a 2022 iPad for relatively cheap right now, not a 2002 iPad!
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for MobileSheets Pro for Android. I"m a PC guy with a 12.4" Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+. As best as I can tell, Mobile Sheets does most everything Fourscore does. I can make set lists, create collections (eg, Duets, Jazz solos, etc) and specify composers, authors, artists. With the Samsung Galaxy, I can also make annotations and use a Bluetooth page turner. If you're on Amazon Prime, keep an eye out for discounted tablets. I saved a bundle on mine on Prime Day.

Last edited by GizB on Sat May 04, 2024 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetsnack wrote:

I'm using a Surface Book 2 15" with Mobile Sheets Pro. I also have a Surface Pro 7 12.3" that I can use, but I prefer the larger screen of the Surface Book 2 15"...my old eyes like the bigger screen. Both of these run Windows 11. I use a Moukey rechargeable pedal with the Surface Book 2, and an old Page Flip Cicada (still works great) with the Surface Pro 7. These have the same 3:2 Aspect Ratio screens as the iPads. I have tried to use Android tablets in the past with their standard 16:9 Aspect Ratio. I find that the 16:9 Aspect Ratio screens on most other tablets don't work as well. Too tall and narrow and the page doesn't fill the screen.

In the past, I did use an iPad Pro 12.9" (Gen II) with ForScore, but I actually prefer Mobile Sheets Pro on my Surface laptops.
Stomvi Titan (Bellflex Bell)
Conn 61B
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love ForeScore. I ran the brass rehearsals for a twenty five instrument church orchestra.

I was able to put the director’s score into the music, link a mp3 to the score, set up rehearsal marks and if memory serves change tempo from the app. It made rehearsals go so smoothly just like having an accomplished pianist does.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a samsung tab s9 ultra and mobilesheets. It's a pretty amazing program. You can do everything you mentioned.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I used to teach technology and one of the main "rules" is to identify a problem (in this case, something to play music from,) find the software that best solves your problem and then get the hardware that supports it.

Having said that I am NOT an iPerson but I do have an iWife!! I have used ForScore for years and believe it is the best software for music reading.

I also have a Surface Pro tablet and do have Mobile Sheets. This DOES work, but for me, the ForScore software works far better. And the PDFs don't take up that much room so you don't need an iPad with lots of storage.

There is very little I've wanted to do with ForScore that I was unable to do...

If it was a financial concern and I already had a Surface Pro, I might have gone with that.

Same with an Android tablet.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to recognize about using a tablet in a gig situation is reliability. I have colleagues who have had issues with Android tablets/software. I've been using the ForScore/12.9" iPad Pro combo for years with absolutely NO hiccups...

Of course, now I've jinxed myself... HA!

One other issue is the page turner issue. I have devised a system using nylon screws, nuts, washers, and magnets to attach a Flic Button to my horns that allow me to turn pages as I'm playing. This avoids the foot pedal situation, which to me was always a hassle and I can just swap the Flic as needed.

I just hope as my eyes worsen, Apple will keep making bigger iPads.

HTH

Ben
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
I just hope as my eyes worsen, Apple will keep making bigger iPads.

HTH

Ben

I found moving the iPad closer and getting a eyeglass prescription specific to using the iPad worked well. Since tablets are smaller it isn’t a big deal to play alongside them.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH wrote:
I also have a Surface Pro tablet and do have Mobile Sheets. This DOES work, but for me, the ForScore software works far better. And the PDFs don't take up that much room so you don't need an iPad with lots of storage.

In your opinion, what are the main advantages of the iPad with ForScore vs an Android tablet with Mobile Sheets?

1958 Conn Director 14A
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:

One other issue is the page turner issue. I have devised a system using nylon screws, nuts, washers, and magnets to attach a Flic Button to my horns that allow me to turn pages as I'm playing. This avoids the foot pedal situation, which to me was always a hassle and I can just swap the Flic as needed.

Ben, does the Flic switch use Bluetooth or NFC? And did you mount it underneath the valve block? I looked at it online and it seems to be fairly big and would be obtrusive, so I'm curious where you mounted it.

1958 Conn Director 14A
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, it's BlueTooth. I've never gotten a photo to work on here; send me a PM with an e-mail and I'll send a picture. It's really quite unobtrusive...

Ben
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a gen 1 iPad. Apple stopped updating the OS at 5.something so virtually no app works any longer.

I do use my gen 1 iPad for music using iBooks, the native pdf app. I send pdfs to myself via yahoo mail which will still work using the old Safari browser. (The browser is too old for gmail to work.) I cannot mark up a piece but for a lot of music that doesn’t matter.

When I do need a set list and markup capability I use a newer (couple of versions old) basic iPad and forScore. Unfortunately, my ipad doesn’t work with the apple pen but a finger does ok and I don’t have to mark much in community band music. I have been ok with tapping the screen to turn pages, too.

My daughter, an aspiring professional, wanted a big iPad. I compromised and got her an 11” iPad Pro from Apple via their refurbished program. Looked like new. I got her a 2nd gen pen and she is happy so far.

Don’t forget - if you use a smaller, cheaper iPad, just move the music stand closer to you. Or get a lightweight tripod specifically for mounting a tablet or phone. I have read music from a phone before, too. (I’m 66 now and can still see OK).

I love the gen 1 iPad in a lot of ways. It STILL after all these years has great battery life. I use it almost every day to read music (etude/study books) maybe for an hour and charge it about once per week.

I once had a Samsung Galaxy tablet. It started out fine but Samsung never upgraded the OS. It finally would do nothing at all.

I currently use a Samsung phone and love it. I’ve never used an Apple phone. I use windows PCs. The last time I used an Apple computer was a Mac Powerbook before Jobs returned to Apple. (I have a NeXT computer but that’s another story.)

Hope that long history of me and my electronics has some value to you. If there is anything I might answer, please just ask.

Check out Apple’s refurbished items for sale on their website.

— Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: