• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What mouthpieces should an 11 year old try?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkrz

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: What mouthpieces should an 11 year old try? Reply with quote

I received such great advice and feedback from the thread about getting a pro horn for my fifth grader, so hoping this community can guide me again.

Background: my son has been taking private lessons for 1.5 years and learned on a cheap Amazon trumpet that came with generic 7C. He's been playing on a Jupiter/XO Brass 1602S for a few months now. It came with a 3C. I much preferred the tone with the 3C, and noticed the higher notes came out cleaner, but my son did not like the feel and said it was too tiring to blow. I bought a Jupiter 7C (to avoid switching, old horn still goes to school), and private teacher suggests sticking with that.

I'm inclined to experiment and chase the better tone, thinking my son will just need some time to adjust to feeling/endurance. Curious to know what you think - ok to experiment now? If so, what do you recommend? If I should just wait, then what typically triggers a change?

EDIT:
I should clarify - I am not in search of the perfect mouthpiece. If the 3C had generated the same or worse tone then I wouldn't raise the issue. But since I know the cleaner tone is possible, my thought was, why not spend the summer trying 3 or 4, then settling on one to stick with? Or, for example, those that have experience working with kids, would it be a bad idea just to have him give the 3C a go for a few months?

Last edited by jkrz on Fri May 10, 2024 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your son is creating decent sounds on the 7C and he likes it, then as the private teacher said, "stick with it." Developing the player without constantly switching variables is more important than honing in the perfect piece (right now). If your son doesn't like, then it's worth looking into switching.

You should not be chasing the better tone for your kid (leave that for the teacher). Kids are growing and changing everyday. One day, he will ask you to buy a $400 mouthpiece and you will be grateful you saved up your pennies.
jkrz

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
If your son is creating decent sounds on the 7C and he likes it, then as the private teacher said, "stick with it." Developing the player without constantly switching variables is more important than honing in the perfect piece. If your son doesn't like, then it's worth looking into switching.

You should not be chasing the better tone for your kid. One day, he will ask you to buy a $400 mouthpiece and you will be grateful you saved up your pennies.

Thank you, and understand that perspective. I should clarify - I am not in search of the perfect mouthpiece. If the 3C had generated the same or worse tone then I wouldn't raise the issue. But since I know the cleaner tone is possible, my thought was, why not spend the summer trying 3 or 4, then settling on one to stick with? Or, for example, those that have experience working with kids, would it be a bad idea just to have him give the 3C a go for a few months?
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkrz wrote:
But since I know the cleaner tone is possible, my thought was, why not spend the summer trying 3 or 4, then settling on one to stick with? Or, for example, those that have experience working with kids, would it be a bad idea just to have him give the 3C a go for a few months?

Sure, it's not unreasonable. Howeer, instead of spending a whole summer with 3-4 (because that is very much NOT productive), you can accomplish it in a single session:
1. get 3-4 pieces
2. do a simple test
3. See which 2 produce the best tone
4. Do an extended 2 minutes on each and have your son say which he likes best.
5. Stick with it.

Rotating pieces as I think you are attempting to do, will be a wasted summer.
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He shouldn't be changing just because his parent wants him to change ... and when his teacher says to stay for now.

When he wants to change the piece, and knows what he wants in the piece, then he can look at other pieces.

Don't meddle and risk having the kid lose his interest in practising. Do whatever keeps the kid practising on the horn so he can develop good tone on a mouthpiece that he likes. He can change when he's ready.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice Mograph. The worst thing you can do is get in your kid's way. If my parents would have done that I would have quit. Messing with mouthpieces can easily send a kid into a downward spiral. It sounds like he is doing well. I would listen to his teacher and not mention it again.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might seem like 'over analysis' but it might just be that the sound improvement is because the 3C happens to fit better into the mouthpiece receiver of the trumpet - not because of the change in rim or cup.

There's typically a small gap (called the 'gap') between the end of the mouthpiece shank and the narrow ledge that is about 1 1/8 inch from the receiver opening. Typical gap is about 1/8 inch for Bach mouthpieces.
If the gap is much different than that, it can affect how the horn behaves.

Simple test is to insert the mouthpiece and put a piece of tape where the shank emerges from the receiver, and then measure the insertion amount.

Less insertion can be tested by wrapping a piece of thin paper around the shank.

And I agree that as long as the 7C rim feels comfortable, to stay with it.
I've been using Bach 7 mouthpiece since about your son's age, and likely well before you were born!
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I am reminded of stories of great players of the past being asked what mouthpiece they used. The reply has been the one that came with the horn.

We can probably adapt to pretty much anything.

Today's Trumpet: 1937 Cleveland Toreador
Today's Cornet: 1947 Cleveland Clevelander
1943 Conn 80A Cornet
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at your other posts but could not determine - are you a trumpet player?
jkrz

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
I looked at your other posts but could not determine - are you a trumpet player?

No. Not sure if you were just curious or it pertains to my comment on tone. I am a classically trained violinist and grew up playing violin and viola in various orchestras and chamber groups, and enjoyed doing paid gigs in high school and college (weddings and pit for various musicals). Also dabbled with the alto sax for a few years in HS.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Trumpet lessons Reply with quote

Happy to hear that you son is playing a Jupiter XO trumpet.
Has you son talked to his teacher or band director about mouthpieces? As stated earlier in this post, experimenting with mouthpieces would be fun.Possibly additional mouthpieces to consider are the 5C and 10.5 .The music your son's school band play will determine the mouthpiece too.
My suggestion is if you are up for it, is take trumpet lessons. Buy a used trumpet or cornet. Nice features though not need:
1st slide thumb saddle and 3rd slide fixed ring.
Getzen makes excellent trumpets and cornets. Favorite trumpet was Getzen Canadian Brass trumpet
Not familiar with Jupiter trumpets, love my Jupiter 520 M cornet.
Yamaha, Bach, or any major brand is a good choice.
Only my opinion and experiences as a hobbyist player.
Trumpetherald is an excellent source on the many aspects of playing brass instruments.
Denis Wick 4 W classic gold short shank
Jupiter 9e (5 C) short shank mouthpiece
Getzen 4 b short shank mouthpiece
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kid has only been playing 1.5 years. Stop being a helicopter parent and let the kid work with his teacher. You as the parent should have 0 influence on the equiptment and mouthpieces and time for the child to switch. That develops with the child and the instructor. The tone and core will developed on whatever mouthpiece the child is using and they should be comfortable on it. It is too early to be switching mouthpieces and child really needs to work on technique.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger

Last edited by chef8489 on Sun May 12, 2024 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While chef sounds a little harsh, his advice is very smart. Let the kid and the teacher figure it out. Some mouthpieces ARE less comfortable/less suited than others and if he likes the 7C, fine.

When I started at eight years old until I was 20 I played one horn and the mouthpiece it came with - a JK 5C. And guess what? I still use that very mouthpiece on that very trumpet after 45 years of playing. Have yet to find a better match (never mind the horn is a C trumpet now).

Never change a running system. With only 18 months into playing, there is other stuff to do than changing mouthpieces.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, (Frate or Curry)
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No beginner should play on a 7C.

In most cases, especially for younger beginners, Schilke 11A or 12B4 depending on the face.

If the option is 7C or 3C, use the 3C.

If the teacher is requiring a 7C, get a different teacher. If he is requiring the student to buzz the mouthpiece get another teacher yesterday!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s wrong with a 7C? In my over 40 years of playing I have never seen a beginner on a Schilke mp. What is the basis of your suggestion?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, (Frate or Curry)
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my perspective you have 3 options:

a) let the teacher and your child sort this out amongst themselves; you are not a brass player yourself so at this point both are more knowledgable on this subject than you are
b) discuss this with the teacher; find out their reasoning and approach, then make the suggestion/ask the question you did on these forums if you deem their approach/knowledge lacking, and make an informed decision together
c) ignore both teacher and child and enforce a change. This may or may not lead to the desired result for you, and it may affect your child's enjoyment to play regardless of the outcome. Note that your decision would also be based on unverified internet replies by people who have no first-hand experience with your child's playing, nor are they all professional or succesful trumpet teachers.

Note that if you choose to overrule the teacher (regardless of whether that's a good idea), you may wish to consider finding a different teacher for your child altogether. After all, if you don't trust the teacher to make the right calls, then the question should be asked what the point is to continue lessons. Which isn't to say you are wrong mind you, just that if you don't trust the teacher to teach your child properly, what's the point in paying them?

Also, in general: improvement in trumpet playing cannot be forced, progress is not linear, and more practice doesn't neccesarily equal better results. Brass instruments require the player to produce the sound, and the result is therefore more dependent on the individual than say, a piano. Some individuals have a natural embouchure that's more suitable for early or quick progress than others. Struggling and not making much headway for weeks or months is sometimes part of discovering the nuances of the playing technique. This can be frustrating compared to other instruments that have the whole range of sounds available on day one, where a trumpet player may struggle for months just learning how to play a single scale. And then years to make that scale sound good.

So please, be patient with your child's progress. Good luck to both of you.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my over 40 years of playing I have never seen a beginner on a Schilke mp

Hundreds, (if not thousands), of students who began on the early Yamaha student model began with the included Yamaha 11 mouthpiece. A clone of the Schilke 11.
jkrz

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
The kid has only been playing 1.5 years. Stop being a helicopter parent and let the kid work with his teacher. You as the parent should have 0 influence on the equiptment and mouthpieces and time for the child to switch. That develops with the child and the instructor. The tone and core will developed on whatever mouthpiece the child is using and they should be comfortable on it. It is too early to be switching mouthpieces and child really needs to work on technique.

I understand your position, but I choose to approach it differently. While some additional background may not change your mind, I'll provide some additional background as I think it addresses this and some other comments as well relating to the teacher. Although I have a musical background, I do not guide his practice other than to make him do it consistently because, honestly, he would rather be playing video games. So maybe this is more gentle helicoptering, which I do admit to.

I mentioned this in the other thread about choosing his horn, but the teacher is young works primarily with new students that have never played. We will likely switch in another year two, but for now the location is convenient, my kid likes him, and we just want to keep him playing. Unlike most members of this forum (myself included), my impression is that the teacher is not into gear. Some of you have said just leave all the equipment decisions up to the teacher, which is fair, but as I had the means and wanted to upgrade from a $100 Amazon trumpet, I did, even though the teacher said the Amazon trumpet worked and was fine. I am putting mouthpiece in the equipment category.

I'll also reiterate that a potential change is not just chasing to see if there's something better. As I wrote I above, I believe the tone on the 3C was better/cleaner, so that's what spurred the question - if he should give the 3C a go, or try something different, or just wait.

I do enjoy reading the mix of answers and reasoning, so thank you all for reading and responding.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
In my over 40 years of playing I have never seen a beginner on a Schilke mp. What is the basis of your suggestion?

Just FWIW, I wouldn't say that this not your experience, but I played a Schilke through H.S. and part of college and, at least where I lived, it was a very popular mouthpiece.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
jkrz

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
What’s wrong with a 7C? In my over 40 years of playing I have never seen a beginner on a Schilke mp. What is the basis of your suggestion?

Nothing is necessarily wrong, but maybe I should have asked the question differently. His first time playing the 3C that came with the horn, it sounded better (nicer tone to my ear), but he did not like the feel. So I'm curious if members here think it's worth giving the 3C a go, adding in another mouthpiece or 2 to try, or just sticking with the 7C for now.

Currently inclined to sticking with the 7C until we switch teachers then will re-evaluate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: